OT: ESPN ranks 60 sports from hardest to easiest. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: ESPN ranks 60 sports from hardest to easiest.

You can make an argument for so many of these sports. Gymnastics-yeah, right. There is a reason you don't see people perform over the age of 25 or near there. Horse Racing-very underrated. Yes, some jockeys can do it into their 40's and 50's, but that's like less than5 or 10 people in the entire world.

Love the comment on fishing being rated 60th. Some guy says he can sit there all day and not catch a thing. It's harder than people think. LOL!!!

Someone complained why ice hockey is ranked harder than field hockey.

I’m surprised that they didn’t mention any Lumberjack Championship events, like axe throwing and log rolling. Considering ESPN’s late night broadcasts in the early days were teeming with lumberjack competitions, should have been a no-brainer.

To me it comes down to intent of the question. Is it the hardest sport to participate in? Or the hardest to excel at? To excel at professionally? I'm guess the latter with basketball being so high. Anyone can play basketball. Not everyone can wrestle a steer or surf. Billiards at 59? I'd say that depends on how many drinks you've had. "Baseball/Softball"? Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in sports. Hitting a softball is one of the easiest things to do in sports. Not the same at all.

It's also funny to think, at the highest professional level, athletes in their respective sports at different positions within their own sport.

Basketball is likely the only sport where an 'out of position' player, is still somewhat OK. Like Josh Hart running point guard for the Knicks. Not ideal, but not insanity.

Now imagine Kirk Cousins having to be a DT for a game.

Or Nolan Arenado being asked to go 7 shutout on the bump

It's also funny to think, at the highest professional level, athletes in their respective sports at different positions within their own sport.

Basketball is likely the only sport where an 'out of position' player, is still somewhat OK. Like Josh Hart running point guard for the Knicks. Not ideal, but not insanity.

Now imagine Kirk Cousins having to be a DT for a game.

Or Nolan Arenado being asked to go 7 shutout on the bump

I think your point stands, but those examples would be more like Hart playing C than PG. He can dribble and pass well. He can’t make himself 7ft tall.

To me it comes down to intent of the question. Is it the hardest sport to participate in? Or the hardest to excel at? To excel at professionally? I'm guess the latter with basketball being so high. Anyone can play basketball. Not everyone can wrestle a steer or surf. Billiards at 59? I'd say that depends on how many drinks you've had. "Baseball/Softball"? Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in sports. Hitting a softball is one of the easiest things to do in sports. Not the same at all.

Depends on the type of softball. The windmill version or the various lob versions? I agree the lob variations are certainly easier and its a totally different level of skill. But windmill? Very different game, but it's not really any easier to hit.

Windmill games at a higher level tend to have no more scoring than baseball (and it's probably lower). Hitting is hard.

I was a good hitter in baseball in my teenage years, and I could time any pitcher except for the few elite in the league. Perhaps it was because I didn't play any windmill growing up (and there was some towns in Ontario and Quebec where it was the dominant form of ball) , but I played about 4 games against men's competitive teams around 17 as they needed bodies a few times...and I couldn't make the adjustment to catch up to pitches. I found it really tough.

Last edited:
Depends on the type of softball. The windmill version or the various lob versions? I agree the lob variations are certainly easier and its a totally different level of skill. But windmill? Very different game, but it's not really any easier to hit.

Windmill games at a higher level tend to have no more scoring than baseball (and it's probably lower). Hitting is hard.

I was a good hitter in baseball in my teenage years, and I could time any pitcher except for the few elite in the league. Perhaps it was because I didn't play any windmill growing up (and there was some towns in Ontario and Quebec where it was the dominant form of ball) , but I played about 4 games against men's competitive teams around 17 as they needed bodies a few times...and I couldn't make the adjustment to catch up to pitches. I found it really tough.
Men's fast pitch, against a good pitcher is tough.