From Zach to Drew, SU has turned a corner in recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From Zach to Drew, SU has turned a corner in recruiting

Any more offensive than other comics who drop the f-bomb every other word?

He is originally from Nebraska and moved to Central Florida as a teenager. I think his real name is actually "Dan" but Larry resulted from a character he used to do on a radio morning show.

The accent he uses on stage is spot on for someone from the Ocala area. One of my best friends at college was from this area...it took me at least three weeks to figure out what he was saying.

Sure -- we have found help in several areas, and should be very competitive (no worse than 3rd seems right), so long as Hunt & Allen can provide good QB play.
My comment was directed to whether we have turned the corner in recruiting. Juco recruiting is a short term answer. Allen is coming because he sees an opportunity. All that is fine -- but the test is how we do with the current juniors. It is as simple as that.

Yes, I agree. We need to continue to win games and get to another bowl this year. We have a high profile schedule with a number of tough games. We'll have great visibility on TV. The JUCOs are stop-gaps, but they will bring us added size and athleticism, to permit younger recruits to grow into the program and their football-playing bodies. This year is a key. If we get to 8 wins, the program will have clearly turned the corner. We ain't no Boston College. We are a sleeping giant.

Sure -- we have found help in several areas, and should be very competitive (no worse than 3rd seems right), so long as Hunt & Allen can provide good QB play.
My comment was directed to whether we have turned the corner in recruiting. Juco recruiting is a short term answer. Allen is coming because he sees an opportunity. All that is fine -- but the test is how we do with the current juniors. It is as simple as that.

I have a feeling we are going to be staying with a nice mix of JUCO players for the foreseeable future. We are already after some JUCO's for next year, and have seen that we are looking to make another splash into the JUCO ranks. I do think we will go after some of the more highly touted ones as well as the ones we think can come in and play immediately. If they do go this route, which i think they are, I really like it. Maybe Shafer realized were not going to be able to beat out the elite on a regular basis so have to have a nice mix of HS and JC's who are game ready. Schools like Bama, UF, FSU, Miami all grab a couple impact JC's guys each year. I don't see a problem with it at all.

I have a feeling we are going to be staying with a nice mix of JUCO players for the foreseeable future. We are already after some JUCO's for next year, and have seen that we are looking to make another splash into the JUCO ranks. I do think we will go after some of the more highly touted ones as well as the ones we think can come in and play immediately. If they do go this route, which i think they are, I really like it. Maybe Shafer realized were not going to be able to beat out the elite on a regular basis so have to have a nice mix of HS and JC's who are game ready. Schools like Bama, UF, FSU, Miami all grab a couple impact JC's guys each year. I don't see a problem with it at all.
Good point, at least until we start playing games around New Years on a regular basis.

I agree with a lot of that -- finding 3 or 4 jucos every year would be fine, especially if we are able to land JC's who have other offers. For example, the big linemen at Nassau & Lackawana. But JUCO hunting in February, searching in Arizona & California, is a make-up approach. Shafer did it this year because (a) we lost out on high school prospects we wanted; and (b) Marrone's departure set us back.
The challenge is to have that "nice mix of HS ..." by winning some of the recruiting battles that happen between now and the end of July, and then in November and December. We don't have to "beat out the elite on a regular basis". But we do need to win our share of battles for high school prospects against Pitt, Rutgers, BC, West Virginia, Maryland and Cincy.

We need to beat out the "elites with two players this year in Lock and Mavety. There might be another name out there that is highly valuable but these two are close to us and exceptional without doubt.

We need to beat out the "elites with two players this year in Lock and Mavety. There might be another name out there that is highly valuable but these two are close to us and exceptional without doubt.
for the 100th time, there are no "elites" to beat out for Lock. He's not even close to Mavety's level, nor is he better than 4 of the 6 rb's on our roster.

for the 100th time, there are no "elites" to beat out for Lock. He's not even close to Mavety's level, nor is he better than 4 of the 6 rb's on our roster.

Please, like you have Cali's eye when scouting these guys ... :)

Great Draft, another #1 pick, Ryan on the Giants who are ecstatic to have him (can you believe a team like that with a QB as good as Eli is ecstatic to have a 2 star kid from SU to develop as potentially the heir replacement for Eli!!?) and Thomas in Pittsburgh who undoughtably will make an impact, correction, huge impacts all over the field, if you get my meaning! Add the 5 FA signees on various teams, this has to be huge for SS and McD for this upcoming class. Message here is you play for our system, you will get that opportunity! Clear to me that SU is being looked at through a new prospective by the NFL. Lets see what SS and the team can do with it, but I am expecting huge and immediate results for 2014 recruiting! Can't wait to see the new ACC patch on our uniforms as we finally shed the old past and begin our new journey in our new league! Is it too late to move the PSU game to the DOOM? :rolleyes:

Great Draft, another #1 pick, Ryan on the Giants who are ecstatic to have him (can you believe a team like that with a QB as good as Eli is ecstatic to have a 2 star kid from SU to develop as potentially the heir replacement for Eli!!?) and Thomas in Pittsburgh who undoughtably will make an impact, correction, huge impacts all over the field, if you get my meaning! Add the 5 FA signees on various teams, this has to be huge for SS and McD for this upcoming class. Message here is you play for our system, you will get that opportunity! Clear to me that SU is being looked at through a new prospective by the NFL. Lets see what SS and the team can do with it, but I am expecting huge and immediate results for 2014 recruiting! Can't wait to see the new ACC patch on our uniforms as we finally shed the old past and begin our new journey in our new league! Is it too late to move the PSU game to the DOOM? :rolleyes:

With 3 kids drafted, Syracuse was tied for 5th in the ACC w/ NC State behind Florida State (11), Notre Dame (6), North Carolina (5) and Clemson (4).

Would have been nice to get the 4th to eliminate an advantage with Clemson on the trail (since the perceptions of those programs couldn't be further apart).

"Larry the Cable Guy" is a character he created. His real name is Dan Whitney. Pretty simple actually.
Pretty amazing that you had to explain that some comedians have a stage persona...kudos, you showed superhuman restraint.

With 3 kids drafted, Syracuse was tied for 5th in the ACC w/ NC State behind Florida State (11), Notre Dame (6), North Carolina (5) and Clemson (4).

Would have been nice to get the 4th to eliminate an advantage with Clemson on the trail (since the perceptions of those programs couldn't be further apart).
Nice trend started with having #1 picks though, and it was special watching 2 Syracuse guys come off the board back to back! Houston had stated they felt lucky to get Lemon and had their eye on him, so yes, would have been nice to have him go as well.

Pretty amazing that you had to explain that some comedians have a stage persona...kudos, you showed superhuman restraint.
Would someone start a thread on Larry the Cable Guy! What position does he play now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom