From Zach to Drew, SU has turned a corner in recruiting | Syracusefan.com

From Zach to Drew, SU has turned a corner in recruiting

Van111

Starter
We may not have ended up with the original "Allen" we all anticipated last fall, but end up we did with one just the same. Regardless, how can you not be excited on what SS and his team is doing right out of the gate. From where we were in February with our 2013 class, to what this recruiting program has done to improve this class in the next 2+ months is quite frankly amazing. I am strapping myself in for a ride boys. Syracuse is not only on the road to "relevancy" again, we are making a statement to other ACC teams that showed absolutely no respect to our program, we are coming for you in recruiting and on the field, and the dome will once again become one of the most feared places to play in college football! Recruits that once laughed at getting an offer from SU.....aren't laughing anymore, they are seriously looking at us, and that my friends is turning a corner!

We may not have ended up with the original "Allen" we all anticipated last fall, but end up we did with one just the same. Regardless, how can you not be excited on what SS and his team is doing right out of the gate. From where we were in February with our 2013 class, to what this recruiting program has done to improve this class in the next 2+ months is quite frankly amazing. I am strapping myself in for a ride boys. Syracuse is not only on the road to "relevancy" again, we are making a statement to other ACC teams that showed absolutely no respect to our program, we are coming for you in recruiting and on the field, and the dome will once again become one of the most feared places to play in college football! Recruits that once laughed at getting an offer from SU.....aren't laughing anymore, they are seriously looking at us, and that my friends is turning a corner!
When did this happen?

When did this happen?
Have we forgotten, the BC AD was repremanded by the ACC after comments made at a Globe interview after SU and Pitt were added, FSU and Clemson have always downplayed the add, MD also wasn't happy about the add and have subsequently left the conference, and ACC media and fanbases chastised the ACC for the add as a football move, specifically focused on further degradation of ACC football. The big drive was that with the ACC struggling itself, these adds further watered down an already week conference. Look at the predictions today, SU isn't even an after thought as to being a threat or contender this year. Some have as low as 11th, just ahaed of Duke, BC and WF, but no one has higher than 8th. Yes we have questions, but we have a pretty solid team just the same this year. Fans, need I say anything on them? I will say this, what happens in the MD exit as far as the buy out will tell all, especially about Clemson and FSU. Living in the heart of ACC country I heard it all, granted it has toned down a bit of late, but we were always a distant second to Pitt joining the conference. Many have said things like, just what we needed, another BC type in the league.

Landing Drew Allen is huge for the program, because we weren't exactly flush with QB talent.

But, and sorry to be realistic, the ACC elite will not be impressed by SU filling in gaps at LB, DE, OT etc with late-signing JUCOs. We know these late signees can be big for our program; outsiders will look at it as not changing where our class stands against others in the league.

We need to make a big hit with the 2014 recruits between now and July, and win some ACC games. And this staff is the group to do it.

Landing Drew Allen is huge for the program, because we weren't exactly flush with QB talent.

But, and sorry to be realistic, the ACC elite will not be impressed by SU filling in gaps at LB, DE, OT etc with late-signing JUCOs. We know these late signees can big for our program; outsiders will look at it as not changing where our class stands against others in the league.

We need to make a big hit with the 2014 recruits between now and July, and win some ACC games. And ths staff is the group to do it.
Agreed, and hit it on the head. that is why i believe we have turned the corner, but we should look both ways before crossing the street, for sure. At least we can see respectability, we couldn't say that a few years ago.

Have we forgotten, the BC AD was repremanded by the ACC after comments made at a Globe interview after SU and Pitt were added, FSU and Clemson have always downplayed the add, MD also wasn't happy about the add and have subsequently left the conference, and ACC media and fanbases chastised the ACC for the add as a football move, specifically focused on further degradation of ACC football. The big drive was that with the ACC struggling itself, these adds further watered down an already week conference. Look at the predictions today, SU isn't even an after thought as to being a threat or contender this year. Some have as low as 11th, just ahaed of Duke, BC and WF, but no one has higher than 8th. Yes we have questions, but we have a pretty solid team just the same this year. Fans, need I say anything on them? I will say this, what happens in the MD exit as far as the buy out will tell all, especially about Clemson and FSU. Living in the heart of ACC country I heard it all, granted it has toned down a bit of late, but we were always a distant second to Pitt joining the conference. Many have said things like, just what we needed, another BC type in the league.
BC was reprimanded for their comments about keeping UConn out. FSU/Clemson never said anything bad about it publicly, and MD left the conference for financial reasons.

We aren't predicted to be a contender because we have a new coach and no quarterback.

Fans are fans. We have people here that would rather be in the Big East still. Doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Good post Van. We have turned the corner. A year ago this program would never be considered by a guy like Drew. In addition if you look at our offer list and the offers these players have it is impressive. We are getting solid looks from many highly rated prospects. We have turned the corner.

Good post Van. We have turned the corner. A year ago this program would never be considered by a guy like Drew. In addition if you look at our offer list and the offers these players have it is impressive. We are getting solid looks from many highly rated prospects. We have turned the corner.
"Solid looks" is a start; visits will make this legit; and commits (and only commits) will show we have turned the corner in recruiting.
And I am impressed that McDonald got two decent WR recruits late in the game; and more impressed that Drew decided we were his best opportunity. This staff brings a lot of energy, and the buzz from the recent additions is all anyone could ask for. But now we need our 2014 class to match or beat Rutgers and Pitt.

We just got a commit from a QB that threw 37 touchdowns and only 1 interception and will most likely be a 4 star recruit. I agree, we have turned the corner.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of this staff and their ingenuity when it comes to recruiting and roster spots. I love the Drew Allen move, I love targeting full qualifier JUCO's that are 1 year in - getting the jump on people.

In comparison to recruiting pre-Marrone, yes we have turned a corner. We are getting more quality out of our recruiting classes year over year, regardless of rankings.

That being said, we have yet to turn a corner where we are a significant player with the Blue Chip recruits in our prime recruiting areas. That's the corner that we need to turn and my hope is with a guy like George McDonald on the staff we'll get there.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of this staff and their ingenuity when it comes to recruiting and roster spots. I love the Drew Allen move, I love targeting full qualifier JUCO's that are 1 year in - getting the jump on people.

In comparison to recruiting pre-Marrone, yes we have turned a corner. We are getting more quality out of our recruiting classes year over year, regardless of rankings.

That being said, we have yet to turn a corner where we are a significant player with the Blue Chip recruits in our prime recruiting areas. That's the corner that we need to turn and my hope is with a guy like George McDonald on the staff we'll get there.
(Price is Right loser music)
I agree with all of this even before Allen. But the greater teams in SU history have been 2 and 3 star recruits. We already know the right coach, players, an attitudes can get it done. The 4 and 5 stars will follow???

I totally sagree and let be reiterate that the reason for this "turnabout is the coaching staff Young players know when recruiters come around if they are confident or hoping to get the OPPORTUNITY to merely speak with them or actually try to bring them to the schools they represent. I refer to that as the "hat in hand approach"We have been in that mode since Deleone who as much as said to me those exact words."We aren't a big program so we need to find players who will come and be developed."When I heard that,I knew we were in trouble. It was the primary reason he was married to the option. You don't need to pancake the guy on the line in front of you.you only really need to get in his way.Doug was a bit better but hardly enough to catapult the program back to a top twenty status consistently.Shafer has a different mentality which I love,Hard and determined.We are going to get 4* players to prove that this year. One a year is not near enough.Who will be thrust 5 star player is my question.:eek:
'

Because Drew wouldn't have started ahead of Nassib...

We just got a commit from a QB that threw 37 touchdowns and only 1 interception and will most likely be a 4 star recruit. I agree, we have turned the corner.
ESPN has Long as a projected top 150 guy, but at the minimum top 300. When was the last time we even had a top 150/300 guy here? And...right out of the gate! If Drew can master the system early on and gel with the new WR's, we could easily be a dark horse contender! DM deserve's alot of the credit, but got to louv the excitement SS and his team has brought back to SU football.

Because Drew wouldn't have started ahead of Nassib...
Most likely, that is true, but maybe if he comes here as a freshman Nassib doesn't ever get to start, who knows? Maybe it is Drew going in the first round and Nassib in Charley Loebs position? There is a lesson out to these kids that go to schools buried in the depth chart, if you don't play, the next level is unlikely to pay, unless ofcourse we are talking basketball.

BC was reprimanded for their comments about keeping UConn out. FSU/Clemson never said anything bad about it publicly, and MD left the conference for financial reasons.

We aren't predicted to be a contender because we have a new coach and no quarterback.

Fans are fans. We have people here that would rather be in the Big East still. Doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Yes and no. In reality it was his comment below that really got the ACC upset.

Two days after a Globe story quoted Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo saying that “ESPN told us what to do’’ in relation to the Atlantic Coast Conference’s expansion plans, DeFilippo issued an apology to ACC presidents and athletic directors.

In this Globe interview, he basically said he didn't necessarily agree with the expansion with SU and Pitt, but as long as UCONN was out, and that this was an ESPN driven decision. Not what I would call support for a school you supposedly had strong ties with.

MD did say they were worried about the financial issues with the adds and FSU/Clemson began talks and rumors about leaving the conference after the adds. Agree, that publically they were supportive, but if half of the rumors and gossip are close on these schools, there is some truth to it.

I always thought last season was critical. After the 2011 collapse our credibility was at stake. We needed to have a respectable season vs a tough schedule to restore the momentum from 2009-2010.
The 2012 team delivered far more than we had a right to expect. Not only did they finish on a 6-1 streak but they did it in spectacular exciting fashion.
On top it all the pre-draft press Ryan, Pugh and Thomas have received has gone a long way to change perceptions.
In the final analysis, that team deserves a great deal of credit for making us a serious choice for talented prospects. It is now up to the staff to capitalize on it.

The ugly past is in the rear view mirror but objects may be closer than they appear.

I always thought last season was critical. After the 2011 collapse our credibility was at stake. We needed to have a respectable season vs a tough schedule to restore the momentum from 2009-2010.
The 2012 team delivered far more than we had a right to expect. Not only did they finish on a 6-1 streak but they did it in spectacular exciting fashion.
On top it all the pre-draft press Ryan, Pugh and Thomas have received has gone a long way to change perceptions.
In the final analysis, that team deserves a great deal of credit for making us a serious choice for talented prospects. It is now up to the staff to capitalize on it.

The ugly past is in the rear view mirror but objects may be closer than they appear.

Well said, and we do have work to do, the "Hard Nosed Way" seems like just the plan to git-ter-done!

Well said, and we do have work to do, the "Hard Nosed Way" seems like just the plan to git-ter-done!

Larry the Cable Guy is the least funny "comedian" to ever exist.

There are millions and millions of people who disagree. I never have and most likely never would pay to see him live, but i can think of a half dozen comedians I like less with very little effort.

Just found out last week that he is not even southern. I never knew that it was a ploy!

Just found out last week that he is not even southern. I never knew that it was a ploy!
yep. his "act" is borderline offensive if you consider that fact.

yep. his "act" is borderline offensive if you consider that fact.
Any more offensive than other comics who drop the f-bomb every other word?

He is originally from Nebraska and moved to Central Florida as a teenager. I think his real name is actually "Dan" but Larry resulted from a character he used to do on a radio morning show.

The accent he uses on stage is spot on for someone from the Ocala area. One of my best friends at college was from this area...it took me at least three weeks to figure out what he was saying.

But, and sorry to be realistic, the ACC elite will not be impressed by SU filling in gaps at LB, DE, OT etc with late-signing JUCOs. We know these late signees can be big for our program; outsiders will look at it as not changing where our class stands against others in the league.

We need to make a big hit with the 2014 recruits between now and July, and win some ACC games. And this staff is the group to do it.

I think it's realistic to say that we are no worse than 3rd in our division. That will be a fine start for our first year, filling all these holes, and with pretty much a whole new coaching staff.

I think it's realistic to say that we are no worse than 3rd in our division. That will be a fine start for our first year, filling all these holes, and with pretty much a whole new coaching staff.
Sure -- we have found help in several areas, and should be very competitive (no worse than 3rd seems right), so long as Hunt & Allen can provide good QB play.
My comment was directed to whether we have turned the corner in recruiting. Juco recruiting is a short term answer. Allen is coming because he sees an opportunity. All that is fine -- but the test is how we do with the current juniors. It is as simple as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom