"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12"

Not hostile. Just see a Big12 move as a short sighted decsion.

I know that FSU fans are rabid as hell but how many football games fall to T3? One or two? How much money is that? Does that validate a move?

Great question. And I'm not the type to play expert. I also wonder how the number of tier3 games in the acc (where espn already owns the rights) would compare with the number in the Big12? I don't know the answer to that. And it may be short sighted not sure...but that ACC deal is loooooong.

The more I read about this, the more I think FSU is using tier 3 as an excuse to see if it can get more money elsewhere. If they only retained the rights for one crap game last year, then how much of a gold mine could tier 3 really be for them? If FSU thought they could get a better deal than Swofford did, maybe they should have negotiated?

ESPN better step in and stop this madness. It's only going to cost them more $$$...and it's giving me a headache.

The more I read about this, the more I think FSU is using tier 3 as an excuse to see if it can get more money elsewhere. If they only retained the rights for one crap game last year, then how much of a gold mine could tier 3 really be for them? If FSU thought they could get a better deal than Swofford did, maybe they should have negotiated?

ESPN better step in and stop this madness. It's only going to cost them more $$$...and it's giving me a headache.

I don't think they can just go negotiate on their own. Does 1 tier 3 game last year equal the number in the future if they were to join the big12? (I really don't know the answer to this question.) I suppose it could all be an excuse. The relationship between FSU and the ACC has been deteriorating for years.

As someone else said on a different board, if he gets reappointed, then I will be worried. If not, July his term expires.

Sidenote: thank god we have grow ups running SU.

If FSU and another like VT, Miami, or Clemson leave I bet the $17M per year goes down due to a less valuable league. Not sure how far down it would go though.

Sounds like the ball is back in ESPN's court to make the contract more attractive or watch the valuable teams walk away.

I'm just going to use this space to say how entertained I am of Uconn fans' butthurt little fantasies of this being a harbinger of the total collapse of that conference.

Their expansion board is such a time waster.

If Florida St and Clemson wish to leave they need to go, as we've found thru the years people who aren't content cause problems.

Won't take too long before the Prez gets this guy back in line. FSU should just start the FSU network, that model should work.

I don't blame them for making waves though. There's a good chance that their program peak is behind them. Held onto Bowden too long and didn't hire a slam dunk backfill. No one in the ACC fears them anymore.

I think it would be pretty funny seeing them in the Big 12. Watching Texas and Oklahoma treat them as a 2nd tier program when it comes to passing out $, as they did with Nebraska and aTm. But someone smart at FSU will step in and remind everyone of those 2 and the other 2 defectors. They aren't going anywhere.

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."
OK, I have to ask. Given the HUGE disparity in revenue that we have seen the last few years, compared to what FSU is already getting, and the fact that we are still fielding an athletic department, what the hell is FSU going to do with a ton of extra money? And is that lack holding them back now? What does FSU need all that money for, especially when compared to the SEC?

It's really sad when a flagship program with a big stadium, big campus, and national brand tacitly admits that they are making big money... and it STILL ISN'T ENOUGH!

Stewart Mandel @slmandel
The only third-tier football game FSU retained last year was Charleston Southern. It was 8,000 seats short of a sellout. Start a network!
very good get...hey FSU go hatchet this...you succccccccccccccccck. At least if FSU leaves, the academic standing of the ACC increases as FSU ties with NCst at 101...'Cuse is #62.

OK, I have to ask. Given the HUGE disparity in revenue that we have seen the last few years, compared to what FSU is already getting, and the fact that we are still fielding an athletic department, what the hell is FSU going to do with a ton of extra money? And is that lack holding them back now? What does FSU need all that money for, especially when compared to the SEC?

It's really sad when a flagship program with a big stadium, big campus, and national brand tacitly admits that they are making big money... and it STILL ISN'T ENOUGH!

FSU athletics was at a deficit last year. That's a big part of the problem. Do your research bud.

U. of Florida third tier rights are about $7.5MM. FSU's 3rd tier rights are estimated at $5MM in the Chip Brown article at orangebloods (note: Chip Brown is essentially a mouthpiece for DeLoss Dodds, UT's AD. He feeds good and bad info, as Dodds directs.) Regardless, see the following link:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/06/school-specific-broadcasting-revenue/

This info is a year old, but presumably does not decrease. Take note that UNC gets $11MM for their 3rd tier rights which are most definitely based on hoops.

that FSU BOT is pulling a gloria allred on the ACC/ESPN brass in the court of public opinion trying to get some type of gaurantee that all their games will be either on ABC,CBS,NBC or one of the three main ESPN channels.

How would the big 12 brass feel if that clown tried to pull that crap on them after a few years there.If they tried it once...

FWIW... all of rutgirls OOC games would be tier 3 games,great fit for the big 12...not

U. of Florida third tier rights are about $7.5MM. FSU's 3rd tier rights are estimated at $5MM in the Chip Brown article at orangebloods (note: Chip Brown is essentially a mouthpiece for DeLoss Dodds, UT's AD. He feeds good and bad info, as Dodds directs.) Regardless, see the following link:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/06/school-specific-broadcasting-revenue/

This info is a year old, but presumably does not decrease. Take note that UNC gets $11MM for their 3rd tier rights which are most definitely based on hoops.

There's no way those figures are not taking things like coach's shows, radio rights, and stadium advertising into consideration. Things that that individual ACC schools still retain rights to in spite of this contract.

No reasonable person should come to the conclusion that anyone is getting eleven million dollars for their garbage basketball games. I don't care if it is UNC.\

Besides, Chip Brown.

In my opinion the fault is with ESPN because the rumors were out there about FSU & Clemson leaving for the Big 12. ESPN set a low figure because they knew the ACC had no bargaining power. Now they will reap what they have sown.

There's no way those figures are not taking things like coach's shows, radio rights, and stadium advertising into consideration. Things that that individual ACC schools still retain rights to in spite of this contract.

No reasonable person should come to the conclusion that anyone is getting eleven million dollars for their garbage basketball games. I don't care if it is UNC.\

Besides, Chip Brown.

The article states that radio and such are included:

"What I can show you is what each school is showing as revenue for broadcasting rights (television, radio and internet)". Do you think the UNC coaches show is worth $11MM?

I find it hard to believe that the third tier rights to UNC women's sports are worth that much. My opinion, we can differ, so long as we stay true to the Orange.

The article states that radio and such are included:

"What I can show you is what each school is showing as revenue for broadcasting rights (television, radio and internet)". Do you think the UNC coaches show is worth $11MM?

I find it hard to believe that the third tier rights to UNC women's sports are worth that much. My opinion, we can differ, so long as we stay true to the Orange.

UNC earns $$$ by the tear when Roy's show is on. That's a lot of cha ching running down his face.

FSU athletics was at a deficit last year. That's a big part of the problem. Do your research bud.
I was hoping someone could be specific to save me the time, "bud"!

So let me see, they don't have to pay private school rates for their scholarships like we do, they have more fans that attend games, AND they were earning much more money from their conference TV deal. AND they still ran a deficit? I guess I could do the research, but it sounds to me like they have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

I was hoping someone could be specific to save me the time, "bud"!

So let me see, they don't have to pay private school rates for their scholarships like we do, they have more fans that attend games, AND they were earning much more money from their conference TV deal. AND they still ran a deficit? I guess I could do the research, but it sounds to me like they have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

FSU had a deficit of $2M - $3M last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

-------------------------
Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
Just to clarify: ACC assoc commissioner Michael Kelly said no - zero - men's bk games or fb games can be sold by individ schools

Point of all these twitters is simple: FSU can be ticked at ACC if it wants to be, but the TV deal is level for all member schools

From ACC's Michael Kelly: 'Our Tier 3 is whatever is not selected by ESPN in women’s basketball and all other sports'

No ACC school has rights to any basketball or football game.

http://twitter.com/#!/Jim_Lamar
Associate editor of the Tallahassee Democrat

Chadd Scott@ChaddScott
Full story on 3rd tier rights coming Monday, takeaway: ESPN has 1st,2nd&3rd tier for ALL ACC football & men's hoops games

Haggard's quote in @warchant article inaccurate re: ACC 3rd tier rights. ACC DOES NOT possess 3rd tier for MEN'S hoops

thats the price difference between the costs of the football coaching staffs.

they could cut the costs of travelling to big 12 country by hopping a train like the hobos use to do in the dust bowl days:noidea:

-------------------------
Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
Just to clarify: ACC assoc commissioner Michael Kelly said no - zero - men's bk games or fb games can be sold by individ schools

Point of all these twitters is simple: FSU can be ticked at ACC if it wants to be, but the TV deal is level for all member schools

From ACC's Michael Kelly: 'Our Tier 3 is whatever is not selected by ESPN in women’s basketball and all other sports'

No ACC school has rights to any basketball or football game.

http://twitter.com/#!/Jim_Lamar
Associate editor of the Tallahassee Democrat
I've read this 3 times and still don't understand it.
Are they saying that ftball & bball are the only Tier 3 that are off limits, but any & every other sport is eligible?
And if thats true, how does that change FSU's position- their ftball is the most profitable right? So, it changes nothing.
What am I missing here?

*OK- after further review:
The FSU guy ASSUMED that bball kept its rights, but ftball didn't. According to this statement, the ACC is saying that's wrong.
So now the only FSU complaint would be the low $ amount, as opposed to the Tier 3 beef.
Got it.