FSU/Clemson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FSU/Clemson

Fine certainly coming for Jimbo

I wish coaches would call out officials more often, players and coaches get ripped when they perform poorly, yet the officials are untouchable god forbid we can't say a bad word about them.

I wish coaches would call out officials more often, players and coaches get ripped when they perform poorly, yet the officials are untouchable god forbid we can't say a bad word about them.

Why? When do you ever hear officials "rip" coaches or players?

These men/women are doing something that is largely subjective (i am sure you have heard the adage that an official could throw a flag on every play if they wanted for something). You think its a swell idea to allow some narcissistic man child, in some cases with a following of millions of devotees, to use the media to call out officials, even after he probably just spent the last three hours tantruming up and down the sidelines? These men/women fly home and sell insurance, teach, work landscaping, etc.

If by "we" you are referring to fans, there is no moratorium, as far as i know, on fans complaining about officiating (i often wish there was though).

I played a lot of sports in my life at multiple levels (i know many here have). One inevitable truth is that officiating will suck. As long as an official is not demonstrating a blatant bias, shut up and play the game.

Last edited:
Fine certainly coming for Jimbo

Totally agree with Jimbo on the chop block infraction. The FSU player executed the block high and the Clemson kid appeared to trip. It is difficult to block opponents if teams aren't allowed to hit opponents. There were also some really questionable holding calls in the Louisville game. Petrino had his moment going after the officials at halftime at UVA.

Trent Catilla on Twitter

ThruWayWest said:
Totally agree with Jimbo on the chop block infraction. The FSU player executed the block high and the Clemson kid appeared to trip. It is difficult to block opponents if teams aren't allowed to hit opponents. There were also some really questionable holding calls in the Louisville game. Petrino had his moment going after the officials at halftime at UVA. Trent Catilla on Twitter

I didn't think it was s chop, but the FSU player grabbed the DBs foot and tripped/held. It was a penalty, just not the one they called.

Jimbo was ripping his players a new one everytime they screwed up. Screaming at them at times. OL, QB, kickers, defenders, WRs didn't matter. You could see Rudolph talking back to him one time and jimbo went and grabbed his shoulder pad. Hoping maybe they lose the locker room a little just in time for us.

I didn't think it was s chop, but the FSU player grabbed the DBs foot and tripped/held. It was a penalty, just not the one they called.

Agreed, certainly wasn't a chop block but you certainly could have called the hold. Cook doesnt get around the end due to the fact the FSU player grabbed his foot.

I never understood why it was okay for Coaches to be obnoxious and go nuts on officials on the sidelines when it's not for players? Shouldn't the HC be the example? It's not like they can't control it if they wanted to, as you rarely see them doing it when they are assistant coaches.

These men/women are doing something that is largely subjective (i am sure you have heard the adage that an official could throw a flag on every play if they wanted for something). You think its a swell idea to allow some narcissistic man child, in some cases with a following of millions of devotees, to use the media to call out officials, even after he probably just spent the last three hours tantruming up and down the sidelines? These men/women fly home and sell insurance, teach, work landscaping, etc.

If by "we" you are referring to fans, there is no moratorium, as far as i know, on fans complaining about officiating (i often wish there was though).

I played a lot of sports in my life at multiple levels (i know many here have). One inevitable truth is that officiating will suck. As long as an official is not demonstrating a blatant bias, shut up and play the game.

Agreed, certainly wasn't a chop block but you certainly could have called the hold. Cook doesnt get around the end due to the fact the FSU player grabbed his foot.
Totally thought it was a chop block, intentional or not. I'm way biased with that sort of thing, though.

I get your point about officials generally being 'normal' people who have day jobs, but they also aren't forced to do this job and have made a conscious decision to take a very publicly scrutinized job (they also don't get paid pennies for each appearance, I think I've read that P-5 officials can make between 2K and 4K per game on top of travel, lodging, food, etc).

But Jimbo is generally very candid in his press conferences. If officials are going to make a borderline call, I think the coaches have a responsibility to their team to ask for their rationale and get an explanation. If an official couldn't give that to Jimbo, I think Jimbo has every right to be irate.