FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell

and people think paying players will have no impact on the game as we know it.
I’m not even thinking about that. Just noting how utterly and completely insane it is that an academic institution recruited people to pony up nearly $20 million so they can hire a different sports coach. College athletics is a pit of nonsense.

I’m not even thinking about that. Just noting how utterly and completely insane it is that an academic institution recruited people to pony up nearly $20 million so they can hire a different sports coach. College athletics is a pit of nonsense.

Oh definitely and I shouldn't have hijacked your post with something that could take things way off topic.

It's also $20M that won't be available for facilities upgrades

I was surprised too but there is more to the story - I read somewhere about a problem with the APR (academic progress rate) for the football team heading downhill too, not just the W-L record. This story is nearly 6 months old:

I was surprised too but there is more to the story - I read somewhere about a problem with the APR (academic progress rate) for the football team heading downhill too, not just the W-L record. This story is nearly 6 months old:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this wasn't the main issue, if an issue at all

LOL you guys are funny with your faux sympathy for Taggart. You just wanted him to stay longer so he could dig the program deeper and deeper into a hole. Knowing what you know now, I'm sure you all would have been fine with Greg Robinson being fired a year and a half into his tenure.

Taggart was a terrible hire from the start. His first game vs. Va Tech in the 2018 opener was quite alarming to say the least and he hasn't gotten much better since. Yes, Jimbo left a mess on the offensive line but Taggarts issues go way beyond simply fixing one position group (albeit the most important one). The team often looks unprepared, undisciplined and unorganized. THAT is simply coaching. He got the W's he did because the roster is filled with athletes top to bottom and you can get away with that vs the middle to bottom of a very weak ACC. Also, I don't know why FSU felt the need to chase the trend with the spread offense. They are one of the handful of programs that can get the personnel to win at a high level running a pro set. They won a natty running it a mere 6 years ago.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this wasn't the main issue, if an issue at all
I understand the problem began at the end of Fisher's tenure but there are NCAA penalties that can come into play - not going to a bowl game, and losing scholarships (assuming you have a winning record) so it is something of concern to any CFB program.

LOL you guys are funny with your faux sympathy for Taggart. You just wanted him to stay longer so he could dig the program deeper and deeper into a hole. Knowing what you know now, I'm sure you all would have been fine with Greg Robinson being fired a year and a half into his tenure.

Taggart was a terrible hire from the start. His first game vs. Va Tech in the 2018 opener was quite alarming to say the least and he hasn't gotten much better since. Yes, Jimbo left a mess on the offensive line but Taggarts issues go way beyond simply fixing one position group (albeit the most important one). The team often looks unprepared, undisciplined and unorganized. THAT is simply coaching. He got the W's he did because the roster is filled with athletes top to bottom and you can get away with that vs the middle to bottom of a very weak ACC. Also, I don't know why FSU felt the need to chase the trend with the spread offense. They are one of the handful of programs that can get the personnel to win at a high level running a pro set. They won a natty running it a mere 6 years ago.
While I liked him personally and hoped for the best, I was not too impressed with the on-field results. CFB is a big business whether we like it or not, and if you are paying millions you expect results. I might have given him more time (to the end of this year, or next year?) but I'm also not one of those writing 6 figure checks to the Seminole Boosters. Also, the drop in attendance was really notable - much of the athletic budget comes from ticket sales. In the end, I guess I have 17 million reasons ($$$) not to feel sorry for him - wish I could get that kind of severance pay.

My mother is a Noles’ alumni and fan and while she is glad he is gone in terms of football she did think he was a good person. I personally do think 2 years isn’t enough time. You guys still were most likely making a bowl which is progress imo and could have won 7 games.

There is a certain "culture" at some schools where winning is everything. FSU is the same school that chased off Jimbo because, in the eyes of the fans, he wasn't winning enough but turned a blind eye to the "behavior" of players.

To be fair, it's Florida State. The general student population probably mirrors those numbers.

Noles boosters and fans ran off Fisher. The team quit on him in his last year as evident during that game in which they got ran off the field at Boston College. The culture was rotten and Taggart was brought into a situation that had been neglected for years as Jimbo had one foot out of the door. The issues left behind by Fisher go beyond the offensive line as the FSU APR was rock bottom. Anyone who comes into a situation like that needs more than 1 3/4 seasons to repair what was done.

Noles boosters and fans ran off Fisher. The team quit on him in his last year as evident during that game in which they got ran off the field at Boston College. The culture was rotten and Taggart was brought into a situation that had been neglected for years as Jimbo had one foot out of the door. The issues left behind by Fisher go beyond the offensive line as the FSU APR was rock bottom. Anyone who comes into a situation like that needs more than 1 3/4 seasons to repair what was done.

Taggert sold himself and the return to prominence in a way that helped dig his own grave. He said it wasn’t a rebuild when it clearly was. Then, they sucked for two years.

Taggert sold himself and the return to prominence in a way that helped dig his own grave. He said it wasn’t a rebuild when it clearly was. Then, they sucked for two years.

No one wants to hear the word rebuild. No one especially at a school like Florida State. I believe it was Scott Frost who finally conceded the fact that it's a rebuild just two weeks ago. He came in with more hype than Taggart and has been a huge disappointment at Nebraska.

No one wants to hear the word rebuild. No one especially at a school like Florida State. I believe it was Scott Frost who finally conceded the fact that it's a rebuild just two weeks ago. He came in with more hype than Taggart and has been a huge disappointment at Nebraska.

Well sure. That no one wants hear it is beside the point. If you do an honest assessment, theres no way you should have been talking like he did in year one. One of the reasons he was let go was because he said they’d be back quickly, which means his talent evals were busted - esp on OL - other was blowing smoke. Either way, proper tack is to undersell, be honest, and over perform.

Bowden ruined FSU boosters for any concept of reality. With all those winning seasons and bringing that program from nothing to national prominence; now they expect nothing less than dominance, even in a tough league like the ACC.
Perhaps the cast-offs from Taggart's departure will help us in some way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom