FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell

Good hire by FSU. This sucks for us though being in the same division. First Satterfield now Norvell. Our division just got really tough again.

Yep but first we have to make sure we don’t screw up games like we did against Maryland, BC, NC State and Pitt. In other words win the very winnable games and we are ok

Good hire by FSU. This sucks for us though being in the same division. First Satterfield now Norvell. Our division just got really tough again.

suck for us? Who did you think was going to take over, Ash? It’s Florida State. Novell could be average there the same that Fuente did.

suck for us? Who did you think was going to take over, Ash? It’s Florida State. Novell could be average there the same that Fuente did.

Norvell is a better coach than Fuente and is going to a much better job

guaranteed ?

Guaranteed what? Norvell has a better resume at Memphis and Florida State is definitely a better job then VT. We couldn't beat FSU with the fired coach there this year. You think it gets easier with Norvell there? I don't.

Guaranteed what? Norvell has a better resume at Memphis and Florida State is definitely a better job then VT. We couldn't beat FSU with the fired coach there this year. You think it gets easier with Norvell there? I don't.
Norvell did take over a program that Fuente already built, so I don't know that we can say he's better. He may have a better opportunity at FSU but he'll also have a shorter leash.

I think lots of highly thought coaches go to the top level and don’t get it done. Norvell’s good and FSU is FSU - but it’s always more of a crapshoot than what we think.

Sattetfield might be great too - but we’ll see long term.

Every coach at a new school is a crap shoot. Even Schiano round 2. Past success or failure in coaching is zero predictor of future success or failure. Same with recruits and transfers.

Every coach at a new school is a crap shoot. Even Schiano round 2. Past success or failure in coaching is zero predictor of future success or failure. Same with recruits and transfers.

Yep. Do your homework, interviews, etc. But know it might not work out. There’s no sure thing outside of Saban and Meyer.

my thought too. Fuentes been whatever.

Norvell did take over a program that Fuente already built, so I don't know that we can say he's better. He may have a better opportunity at FSU but he'll also have a shorter leash.
A shorter leash than Willie, I hope not. Otherwise he'll be fired right after stepping off the podium from his announcement speech.

What position did Norvell have before he was coach of Memphis? If he was the OC he might have been a big part of the reason for Memphis success of late as much or more than Fuente.

What position did Norvell have before he was coach of Memphis? If he was the OC he might have been a big part of the reason for Memphis success of late as much or more than Fuente.
OC for Arizona State before getting the Memphis job.

OC for Arizona State before getting the Memphis job.
I think this means Kendel Briles is on the open market. Novell will want to run his offense with a coordinator he has worked with before (there are a couple of them).

Good article on what his staff might look like.

It is kind of shocking to me that FSU would get to a point where they had to hire a G5 coach as their HC. Their fans think of their program as a top 5 program. I think budget limitations and the poor treatment Willie got shocked the FSU AD and left them with no choice but to go with a HC unproven at the P5 level.

Norvell is considered a fine offensive mind. Got his real start under Todd Graham and we saw him at Pitt when they were there in 2011. The strangest thing about the hire to me is that he has no ties to Florida at all. If you look at his current staff and the people he will most likely hire for his new staff, there are few connections to Florida as well. That seems crazy to me given how important Florida is for FSU recruiting. I would think Mike will look to retain a few more coaches from FSU than this article is calling out to keep strong ties to the Florida HS scene.

Prediction: if he is successful, I bet he bolts Tallahassee for a position in an area he is more comfortable in (Arkansas/Tennessee region).

It will be interesting to see if he is able to hire away these coordinators he has worked with in the past who have moved on to good P5 schools. That will say a lot about how much money FSU has given him to work with and what kinds of relationships he has with people he was worked with in the past.

For us, it sure sounds like Kendel is available. I would guess he has an OC job at Tulsa if he wants it. Maybe USF under Taggart again, if Willie gets that job. Though it doesn’t sound like that is going to happen.

Or maybe Syracuse makes sense. It would be a bold move and would probably require some money to make happen.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be really nice to welcome Coach Mike Norvell to the newly renovated Loud House Dome in 2020 with a full house and give him the same inaugural that Syracuse University Football gave Taggart. Let Coach Norvell know how hospitable us Upstate New Yorkers can be. Go Orange!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom