FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Fires Taggart / Hires Mike Norvell

Wouldn't it be really nice to welcome Coach Mike Norvell to the newly renovated Loud House Dome in 2020 with a full house and give him the same inaugural that Syracuse University Football gave Taggart. Let Coach Norvell know how hospitable us Upstate New Yorkers can be. Go Orange!!!!!
More on Kendall Briles. Now that Lane has the HC job at Ole Miss, he and Randy Clement might be headed there. Or he might get named the HC at FAU.

I think this means Kendel Briles is on the open market. Novell will want to run his offense with a coordinator he has worked with before (there are a couple of them).

Good article on what his staff might look like.

It is kind of shocking to me that FSU would get to a point where they had to hire a G5 coach as their HC. Their fans think of their program as a top 5 program. I think budget limitations and the poor treatment Willie got shocked the FSU AD and left them with no choice but to go with a HC unproven at the P5 level.

Norvell is considered a fine offensive mind. Got his real start under Todd Graham and we saw him at Pitt when they were there in 2011. The strangest thing about the hire to me is that he has no ties to Florida at all. If you look at his current staff and the people he will most likely hire for his new staff, there are few connections to Florida as well. That seems crazy to me given how important Florida is for FSU recruiting. I would think Mike will look to retain a few more coaches from FSU than this article is calling out to keep strong ties to the Florida HS scene.

Prediction: if he is successful, I bet he bolts Tallahassee for a position in an area he is more comfortable in (Arkansas/Tennessee region).

It will be interesting to see if he is able to hire away these coordinators he has worked with in the past who have moved on to good P5 schools. That will say a lot about how much money FSU has given him to work with and what kinds of relationships he has with people he was worked with in the past.

For us, it sure sounds like Kendel is available. I would guess he has an OC job at Tulsa if he wants it. Maybe USF under Taggart again, if Willie gets that job. Though it doesn’t sound like that is going to happen.

Or maybe Syracuse makes sense. It would be a bold move and would probably require some money to make happen.

Florida Gators once hired a G5 coach who had just taken his team to a BCS bowl. Worked out pretty well for them.

But yes, I’m also sure that FSU knew after the fiasco they caused they had no chance at getting an impact hire such as, the aforementioned coach.

More on Kendall Briles. Now that Lane has the HC job at Ole Miss, he and Randy Clement might be headed there. Or he might get named the HC at FAU.

Sounds like Briles and Clement will coach together. It also sounds like Briles is going to have a lot of choices as to where to go, especially if he is content with being a OC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a HC gig

A shorter leash than Willie, I hope not. Otherwise he'll be fired right after stepping off the podium from his announcement speech.
No. A shorter one than Fuente. That's who we were comparing him to.

Would love to have Kendall Briles as the OC here. Go Orange!!!!!!!

With Ole Miss and FSU hiring OCs, Briles lost his best chances to remain an OC at the P5 level. He made just over $1 million dollars last year for FSU. His best option for 2020 might now be OC at FAU under Taggert. I would guess that would end up being a $800K haircut for him...

With Ole Miss and FSU hiring OCs, Briles lost his best chances to remain an OC at the P5 level. He made just over $1 million dollars last year for FSU. His best option for 2020 might now be OC at FAU under Taggert. I would guess that would end up being a $800K haircut for him...
Would look great in Orange

Would look great in Orange
He made over $1 million as an OC last season. Not sure what we pay our OC but I doubt it is even half of that. This kind of a move would be a major change in the way we pay our assistants. The over spending Rutgers is doing now to try and escape laughingstock status will probably influence spending on assistant coaches throughout the East, but even if we paid him $750K, it and the follow up effect it would have on the salaries paid to the other assistants would be dramatic.

This would be a big deal for the football program. We don’t hire big names from other P5 programs. The only one I cam remember is Coach O but that was after he was down and out after a scandal and had no where else to go.

He made over $1 million as an OC last season. Not sure what we pay our OC but I doubt it is even half of that. This kind of a move would be a major change in the way we pay our assistants. The over spending Rutgers is doing now to try and escape laughingstock status will probably influence spending on assistant coaches throughout the East, but even if we paid him $750K, it and the follow up effect it would have on the salaries paid to the other assistants would be dramatic.

This would be a big deal for the football program. We don’t hire big names from other P5 programs. The only one I cam remember is Coach O but that was after he was down and out after a scandal and had no where else to go.
Maybe, but who's our competition right now? Also, the Babers Baylor connection might help. He could also bring Clements to help w/ our OL. I'll settle for anyone who doesn't run up the gut 95% of 1st downs and has a little creativity.

Maybe, but who's our competition right now? Also, the Babers Baylor connection might help. He could also bring Clements to help w/ our OL. I'll settle for anyone who doesn't run up the gut 95% of 1st downs and has a little creativity.

This is the Baylor system. It's designed to run up the gut after spreading people out.

(And we were really creative when our OL was super crappy and couldn't run. We got sacked a lot and lost a bunch of games. I'd double down on the Baylor model with some tweaks and try to get our OL to be good at all costs)

coach Mike Norvell’s contract is a 6-year deal that will pay him roughly $4.4 million annually.

Norvell will receive $5.25 million to hire 10 assistant coaches.

Norvell will be owed 85% of the total compensation remaining if his contract is terminated early.

coach Mike Norvell’s contract is a 6-year deal that will pay him roughly $4.4 million annually.

Norvell will receive $5.25 million to hire 10 assistant coaches.

Norvell will be owed 85% of the total compensation remaining if his contract is terminated early, if he remembers to sign it.

FIFY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom