FSU Game Thread... | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Game Thread...

Battle could be scary if he had a true point guard and another shooter on the team. If he came back next year he could be an All American. He doesn’t get many easy looks and he has to work like hell for every shot he gets. Chucko is showing good improvement and JB is showing more confidence in Moyer. If they can hold it together, they could improve quite a bit the rest of the year. They need to continue to push tempo (press a little) and get more balanced. The next week is huge to get back in the middle of the pack in the ACC. They have to beat Pitt and BC and then go on the road and beat Georgia Tech.

Guys who were actually good at SU as freshmen in major roles... Not just “they played a lot” but actually good?

In my memory, ive got:
Pearl
Coleman
Owens
Moten
Wallace
Carmelo
McNamara
Edelin
Flynn
Lydon
Richardson

Edit: forgot Devendorf.

None of our freshmen are good
Players yet but I like all of them. Down the road they all have a chance to join the list of numerous SU players that were not very good as freshmen, but became very good.

This season is a pass.
You gotta be a realist.
This season was always going to be hard.
No reason to be frustrated just enjoy the game and call it as is goes.
That is my thought. Enjoy the good signs. Chekwu has been a bit of a surprise. Oshe looks good down the road. Howard is up and down but his shot has come around for the future. Sidebe looked good prior to the knee. This is a young team. Trending up. I rather watch this then last years team. At least there is a reason they suck.

So sick of the negativity of some "fans". Yes, this team is not as good as we would have liked, but there is still time to turn it around. This team should have been out of it after the first half, but they didn't quit. Maybe some of you need to!!

Yeah, no. I’m not mad at you, but you’re being obtuse. The last two weeks we went from a tournament team to a bubble team to off the bubble. So please pull over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike and leave the people that are justifiably upset alone.

So sick of the negativity of some "fans". Yes, this team is not as good as we would have liked, but there is still time to turn it around. This team should have been out of it after the first half, but they didn't quit. Maybe some of you need to!!
Right! Next 4 against Pitt, BC, Pitt and GT are certainly winnable games if the players who have been MIA show up. I just think lack of depth will hurt the team and they will lose games they should win easily. Unfortunately this team doesn't seem to be able to win the close ones -- ND, Wake, Bonaventure, FSU.

Fsu nothing special and missing their best player are we that bad we should be ecstatic to be in the game

Yeah, no. I’m not mad at you, but you’re being obtuse. The last two weeks we went from a tournament team to a bubble team to off the bubble. So please pull over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike and leave the people that are justifiably upset alone.
What we’re expecting? Besides the ND garbage it hasn’t been that bad. We lost close on the road on our 2nd true road game. We lost to a #3 and a #23 both on the road and we were in both games.

It's a GAME THREAD, friend. People are reacting in the moment and some get upset. You're going to have to get used to it. That doesn't change. I feel you prefer the more apathetic crowd, they seldom get involved here.

Brian your a good fan but give the team a break.
Thé HC is fair game.
Thé past is fair game.
This year’s team deserves a break.
What is that, French? Speak American, amigo.

Guys who were actually good at SU as freshmen in major roles... Not just “they played a lot” but actually good?

In my memory, ive got:
Pearl
Coleman
Owens
Moten
Wallace
Carmelo
McNamara
Edelin
Flynn
Lydon
Richardson

Players yet but I like all of them. Down the road they all have a chance to join the list of numerous SU players that were not very good as freshmen, but became very good.

Like this post a lot.

Even this may undersell this year’s freshmen.

Devo struggled for the first half or so of his rookie year, and alternated time with Louie mccroskey. Richardson was awesome in the ncaas obviously but I’m not sure he was appreciably better than brisset in the regular season. Lydon wasn’t asked to do a ton as a freshman and got a lot of open looks. Flynn was great as a freshman but it didn’t transfer to any team success. (Greene probably belongs on this list, if reluctantly.) Having Carmelo obviously made things a hell of a lot easier for billy and gmac.

I have nothing to gainsay the first six guys on your list. (Although that is six guys in sixteen years, showing how hard it is to truly excel right out of the box)

Team showed a lot of heart. At halftime I didn't think it would even be competitive in 2nd half. Tyus needs help. He carried the team on his back. Howard had a miserable game. Brissett is getting mugged on drives and no calls. He shoots a terrible percentage on outside shots. Marek has been exposed against ACC talent. Wow he can't even make a layup against ACC front lines. Moyer is limited. Chukwu has been a pleasant surprise and is developing. He just lacks strength.

We had our chance to win at end of 1st OT. Battle has to take that shot or drive it and finish or get fouled. The pass to an open Brissett is a bad play. Did anyone think he would make a jump shot? Not this year.

In my memory, ive got:
Pearl
Coleman
Owens
Moten
Wallace
Carmelo
McNamara
Edelin
Flynn
Lydon
Richardson

Dont’e leave perhaps?

Wasn’t that the knock on our team coming in anyway. No impact freshman?

What we’re expecting? Besides the ND garbage it hasn’t been that bad. We lost close on the road on our 2nd true road game. We lost to a #3 and a #23 both on the road and we were in both games.
We lost to Wake Forest–a road win that we desperately needed–and to a Notre Dame team missing its two best players. We're no longer a tournament team whether you care to admit it or not, and if we don't figure out how to finish games, then we're in for a horrific ACC record. Also, wasn't FSU missing someone?

We lost to Wake Forest–a road win that we desperately needed–and to a Notre Dame team missing its two best players. We're no longer a tournament team whether you care to admit it or not, and if we don't figure out how to finish games, then we're in for a horrific ACC record. Also, wasn't FSU missing someone?
This teams goal is to figure out how to win games with a young team. They did it earlier in the year and lost it. I’m disappointed that the team has given some games away but all you can really expect is they keep it close and hopefully develope players into finishers. To think this team was going to close out every game with one junior and 4 fresh/soph is foolish. There is going to be pain given the amount they lost. My hope is in a month they start closing out these games strong. In my opinion if they develope they will be fine tourneywise. We have plenty of opportunities for big wins.

Yep. And today we were gifted again by a team not having their top scorer and rebounder in Mann.

This teams goal is to figure out how to win games with a young team. They did it earlier in the year and lost it. I’m disappointed that the team has given some games away but all you can really expect is they keep it close and hopefully develope players into finishers. To think this team was going to close out every game with one junior and 4 fresh/soph is foolish. There is going to be pain given the amount they lost. My hope is in a month they start closing out these games strong. In my opinion if they develope they will be fine tourneywise. We have plenty of opportunities for big wins.

That's not the point! The point is, no matter how you slice it, we were a tournament team. We had momentum, and we pissed it away. Yeah, at the beginning of the season, it looked like we were an NIT team. Then we put together what appeared to be something special. Now it looks like it's likely gone. Let people be disappointed. Good god!

Dont’e leave perhaps?

Wasn’t that the knock on our team coming in anyway. No impact freshman?

He was talented and put up numbers. Yeah, I guess.

But yeah, exactly. Everyone knew we didn’t have a freshman coming in like any of those guys. On just about every SU team I can think of, Brissett is a front court sub. Sidibe is backup C by default(because we often don’t seem to have a second legit C).The other guys don’t sniff the floor, and WAshington and Marek probably redshirt. Can’t expect too much at this point. All of them have shown some nice potential at times.

Last edited:
It's a GAME THREAD, friend. People are reacting in the moment and some get upset. You're going to have to get used to it. That doesn't change. I feel you prefer the more apathetic crowd, they seldom get involved here.

It’s gonna change

Like this post a lot.

Even this may undersell this year’s freshmen.

Devo struggled for the first half or so of his rookie year, and alternated time with Louie mccroskey. Richardson was awesome in the ncaas obviously but I’m not sure he was appreciably better than brisset in the regular season. Lydon wasn’t asked to do a ton as a freshman and got a lot of open looks. Flynn was great as a freshman but it didn’t transfer to any team success. (Greene probably belongs on this list, if reluctantly.) Having Carmelo obviously made things a hell of a lot easier for billy and gmac.

I have nothing to gainsay the first six guys on your list. (Although that is six guys in sixteen years, showing how hard it is to truly excel right out of the box)

One thing about Malachi...he had a horrific shooting month of December which killed his overall numbers a bit. But he was really pretty good in November and from January in.

Way more polished offensively than Brissett. He had a number of games with a good amount of assists, many of the drive and dish variety. He could shoot the 3 both off the catch and dribble, and some good off the dribbled moves. He struggled to finish but could draw fouls too...though he finished better than OB has so far.