FSU sowing seeds of expansion discontent | Syracusefan.com

FSU sowing seeds of expansion discontent

kyleslamb

Scout Team
I think it's clear, if this guy speaks for the trustees, they're none too happy with the ACC.

(link won't work because of the filter, but go to rival(s) dot com /content.asp?CID=1364755)

Well, slap me hard, I was way off. I thought for sure there was no way that FSU would leave.

they haven't left yet.

Didn't think anyone said they did.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Leverage.

If it's leverage, it's more hoping the SEC or Big Ten will get involved. I think FSU knows its days are numbered with the ACC since I doubt they expect them to tear up the contract and beg ESPN to renegotiate yet again.

FSU seems to have ND SYNDROME where they assume they still rule the roost in CFB.
They haven't performed like they did with Bowden, and somehow its the ACC's fault?
To seriously consider a move to the Big 12 for a few extra millions seems kinda ludicrous, IMO.
I'm more concerned with the bitterness directed towards the Carolina Cartel.
I hope thats not an omen of what we'll be saying in a few years.

Miami and FSU are the best football reasons to join that crappy conference... It will help Syracuse recruit Florida's stellar football talent. One of our main reasons to join the ACC goes down if FSU leaves. The ACC becomes a third tier football conference without them, and we might as well have stayed in the Big East and continued to be a major part of the best basketball conference.

At least that way we aren't in the ACC.

FSU seems to have ND SYNDROME where they assume they still rule the roost in CFB.
They haven't performed like they did with Bowden, and somehow its the ACC's fault?
To seriously consider a move to the Big 12 for a few extra millions seems kinda ludicrous, IMO.
I'm more concerned with the bitterness directed towards the Carolina Cartel.
I hope thats not an omen of what we'll be saying in a few years.

The Carolina block of votes gets weaker with Syracuse and Pitt joining. BC, Pitt, SU, Miami, Maryland and FSU are now almost half the conference. Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Virginia are wild cards that can side with or against Wake, UNC, Duke and NC STate. On any given issue, NC can't control the conference the way they always have. It will be even more open in decision making once the ACC goes to 16, probably with two more northern schools.

they haven't left yet.
Did I say someone said they left? Nope. I didn't. I did say that Gloria Allred has cases thrown out all the time though.

Does this mean they are unhappy with us and pitt joining??
If so it sounds to me like a fearfull copout. Like they are afraid of not being the best in conference year in and out because there is better football schools.
Heck Pitt is good at football but not as good as FSU and we haven't been in years I don't see what they are so afraid of.
Or is it the opposite they feel Pitt and syracuse will make the conference more mediocre.

what exactly does the article say? What is their worry? They don't want to take a trip up north or something?

Does this mean they are unhappy with us and pitt joining??
If so it sounds to me like a fearfull copout. Like they are afraid of not being the best in conference year in and out because there is better football schools.
Heck Pitt is good at football but not as good as FSU and we haven't been in years I don't see what they are so afraid of.
Or is it the opposite they feel Pitt and syracuse will make the conference more mediocre.

what exactly does the article say? What is their worry? They don't want to take a trip up north or something?
They want more money. Just like everyone else.

The Carolina block of votes gets weaker with Syracuse and Pitt joining. BC, Pitt, SU, Miami, Maryland and FSU are now almost half the conference. Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Virginia are wild cards that can side with or against Wake, UNC, Duke and NC STate. On any given issue, NC can't control the conference the way they always have. It will be even more open in decision making once the ACC goes to 16, probably with two more northern schools.

If FSU and Clemson were already sick of Carolina schools, how would their departure and arrival of Syracuse/Pitt be any different? It doesn't sound like FSU and Clemson have exactly been allies of the N.C. schools.

Does anybody really think ESPN is going to allow the biggest name brand in the conference they just signed a 3 billion dollar deal to walk out the back door? Ain't gonna happen.

I think it's clear, if this guy speaks for the trustees, they're none too happy with the ACC.

(link won't work because of the filter, but go to rival(s) dot com /content.asp?CID=1364755)

use this link
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...rks-firestorm-with-desire-to-join-big-12.html

As I expected, this is a misunderstanding. Third party football rights were not given up. in any event, they are probably not worth much unless FSU becomes a contender. FSU assumes that they will be back in the saddle and that the rights will be valuable. They might also think that Big XII scrub teams are better draws than ACC scrub teams.

Never-the-less, the contract makes no sense. Why go out 12 years or so without an inflation adjuster when the economy is in such turmoil? If the National deficit is not cut we might get inflation. Regardless of the phony third tier issue, seems like FSU, Clemson and Miami might bolt if they can get a bigger payday. The Big XII will offer if they can present evidence that the money would be there. Can they make a solid offer that is high enough to cover the uncertainties and dislocations? As per internet chatter, Clemson wants to stick with FSU. The ACC is not as stable as we thought.

The contract is for 16 million per team, not 17 million per team. Swofford takes a full cut, which makes no sense.

use this link
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...rks-firestorm-with-desire-to-join-big-12.html

As I expected, this is a misunderstanding. Third party football rights were not given up. in any event, they are probably not worth much unless FSU becomes a contender. FSU assumes that they will be back in the saddle and that the rights will be valuable. They might also think that Big XII scrub teams are better draws than ACC scrub teams.

Never-the-less, the contract makes no sense. Why go out 12 years or so without an inflation adjuster when the economy is in such turmoil? If the National deficit is not cut we might get inflation. Regardless of the phony third tier issue, seems like FSU, Clemson and Miami might bolt if they can get a bigger payday. The Big XII will offer if they can present evidence that the money would be there. Can they make a solid offer that is high enough to cover the uncertainties and dislocations? As per internet chatter, Clemson wants to stick with FSU. The ACC is not as stable as we thought.

The contract is for 16 million per team, not 17 million per team. Swofford takes a full cut, which makes no sense.

It could be that FSU is looking for a reason to bolt, though. The Big 12 rumors have been going strong for several weeks, so I think this is just FSU grasping for a reason to justify leaving.

FSU has been grumbling for a loooong time. I am just surprised at the entrance of the Big 12. FSU has seen themselves more of SEC material along with UF. While I wouldn't be surprised about FSU Clemson would be a surprise... they have been an ACC stalwart for a long time ... but it is football that drives the car and most assuredly FSU and Clemson are football oriented ... neither has put a competitive (FF status) on the floor in quite a while. Think lower to middle Big East. With SU and Pitt coming they are going to become even more irrelevant in basketball. Yet they are the Big Dogs in football ... until they join either the Big 12 or SEC and they start becoming irrelevant in football as well ... then where will the $$$$ be?

FSU has been grumbling for a loooong time. I am just surprised at the entrance of the Big 12. FSU has seen themselves more of SEC material along with UF. While I wouldn't be surprised about FSU Clemson would be a surprise... they have been an ACC stalwart for a long time ... but it is football that drives the car and most assuredly FSU and Clemson are football oriented ... neither has put a competitive (FF status) on the floor in quite a while. Think lower to middle Big East. With SU and Pitt coming they are going to become even more irrelevant in basketball. Yet they are the Big Dogs in football ... until they join either the Big 12 or SEC and they start becoming irrelevant in football as well ... then where will the $$$$ be?

FSU basketball appears to be on the rise. They were ACC Champs last year, after all, and thumped ND to reach the Sweet 16 the year before.

FSU basketball appears to be on the rise. They were ACC Champs last year, after all, and thumped ND to reach the Sweet 16 the year before.
Leonard Hamilton's rep continues to grow. He'll get more interest from good high school players than ever.

I can't believe the big 12 would want clemson over Miami. Is Clemson really worth it to grab florida state??

Either way the ACC has better midmajor football schools and a better spread location then the big east. Ville, Cincy, and West Viriginia were located in different coference territory and the three were very spread out.

If the acc lost Fsu and another good football school I imagine they would be best grabbing the next best school up near syracuse pitt and BC to try to beat out big east football and expand ACC football into that territory more.

Whether that's enough to offset what sources say is either a $20 million or $23 million buyout to leave the ACC is another question. Then there are the travel costs of non-football and men's basketball teams. The ACC is expansive, but there are some bus trips and many flights are to major cities (Boston, Washington D.C., Charlotte), generally cheaper and easier than some of the distant outposts of the Big 12 (Ames, Lubbock).
And if there is a concern about the ACC's perceived favoring of UNC and Duke hoops, has anyone in Tallahassee heard about the Big 12 and Texas football?

It would be a gamble for Florida State. They would be foolish to head to the Big 12, imo. SEC is a different story, of course.

Bottom line, even without FSU and possibly Clemson, the ACC with Pitt and SU will be better than a new BE with all the crap they are bringing in. Especially now that it looks like Boise will never play in the BE, which I always thought was stupid in the first place.

Bottom line, even without FSU and possibly Clemson, the ACC with Pitt and SU will be better than a new BE with all the crap they are bringing in. Especially now that it looks like Boise will never play in the BE, which I always thought was stupid in the first place.

Assuming the ACC only loses two teams .. I agree. We are still much better off than the mess that is the BE.