FSU vs The ACC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

FSU is citing it's "fundamental right to realign with another conference."

Right up there with the rights to freedom of speech, religion and the press. Wonder what Madison and Jefferson would think of that line.

Freedom of association is pretty fundamental. And no one is stopping them from leaving. They just have to pay.

I hope the ACC countersues. FSU has been doing everything it can to undermine the conference that it has a fiduciary duty to.

You join into an agreement because of the benefits it gives you and then you follow the rules you agree to.
if you want to leave then you follow those rules.

Oh wait wrong board, not politics.

Right up there with the rights to freedom of speech, religion and the press. Wonder what Madison and Jefferson would think of that line.

They are absolutely correct. They do have a fundamental right to realign to a different conference, if they so choose. They just have to pay a crapload of money and give up their media rights until the GOR expires. That's all.

We don't

Why people think they'd want Oregon and Wash but NOT FSU is, uh, perplexing
Too many people put stock in the B1G's preference for schools with AAU affiliation. However, UNL lost their AAU status- the B1G was aware this was happening. SU was on their targets list and ND tops their target lat. AAU status is not a deal breaker, it just means the school needs other qualifying elements to be sufficient to garner their attention. FSU would be near the bottom of the B1G's academic standing but likely acceptable. FSU brings in the third largest state as a new market.

Just my take but FSU would be acceptable. What is not clear is whether the B1G wants to be in this mess at the moment, most expansion has been done in bite size pieces. If FSU falls and the dominoes fall, the SEC and B1G will want to grab the best of the rest as soon as possible. Only the B1G and the SEC can really say what they will do.

I fundamentally agree. Good luck.

The F in FSU is for fricking stupid.

Pretty safe to assume if FSU leaves so will Clemson, Miami, and others…
So if they do leave, then that’s the end, it’s 2 conferences that matter and a reconstructed Conference USA for the rest.

The remaining ACC schools will always be more valuable than the leftover, fly-over ones in the big12.

If there is 2 lesser condos to remain…While it’s certainly not apples for apples, wv, Cincy and the directional Florida’s all would likely rather be ACC than big12.

Is the only real complaint that they want more money and the ACC held them out of the NC race?

Like they have been a big time contender for years and haven't made any money off the ACC deal all this time? They could have stayed independent and been irrelevant long ago making less money.

You have a fundamental right to marry whoever you want, but if you are currently married you have to get divorced. And that costs, either a predetermined value set in a pre-nup or a settlement/litigation if one doesn’t exist.

Every partnership has provisions on how to exit or dissolve. Unless there is a breach somewhere, the rules are the rules the partners agreed to.

Last edited:
I just find it funny that this is their argument. They, of their own free will, signed an agreement, a binding contract. Now, they think that their out is saying it's a fundamental right? This is what they've gone public with? This is what their genius law representation has sold them? Good grief, they are dumb.

Too many people put stock in the B1G's preference for schools with AAU affiliation. However, UNL lost their AAU status- the B1G was aware this was happening. SU was on their targets list and ND tops their target lat. AAU status is not a deal breaker, it just means the school needs other qualifying elements to be sufficient to garner their attention. FSU would be near the bottom of the B1G's academic standing but likely acceptable. FSU brings in the third largest state as a new market.

Just my take but FSU would be acceptable. What is not clear is whether the B1G wants to be in this mess at the moment, most expansion has been done in bite size pieces. If FSU falls and the dominoes fall, the SEC and B1G will want to grab the best of the rest as soon as possible. Only the B1G and the SEC can really say what they will do.
Agree on AAU status, FSU would be upper third academically in the BIG if you go off of USNews rankings.

I have no idea if that's what done or not. FSU is ranked higher than SU there.

I hope that FSU pays the exit fee, and then are voted down by the B10 and SEC. I know that this isn't realistic, but a guy can dream.

When the B10 and SEC were both recently expanding, why did they not invite FSU then? If the move was viable, why did they not do it a few years back?
Because their not wanted and/or there is no viable way to get them.

I think the B1G would accept FSU academically. But culturally do they really want FSU? There is nothing about FSU that fits the B1G. If you really must get into Florida why not take Miami? It is easier to travel for both the teams, the fans, and Florida recruits. FSU is basically in Alabama. Also I think FSU's public actions are another reason to stay away. On top of that the B1G is about tradition and FSU was nothing both academically and athletically before the 1980s. They are new money.

There’s typically a 72 hour “buyers remorse” exit exemption for most types of contracts, and let’s face it.. that’s what this really is about. And they signed it well over 3 business days ago.

Can anyone honestly say that the ACC has done a good job in media rights for conference members? Look at the media markets of this league vs SEC & BIG. There's no way this league should be that far behind in media revenue.

They are absolutely correct. They do have a fundamental right to realign to a different conference, if they so choose. They just have to pay a crapload of money and give up their media rights until the GOR expires. That's all.

Yep, and this has been the ACC's position on this from day 1.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave (until you pay up your obligations).

I have to think that they've had conversations with the B10/SEC at this point and gotten interest? However, if you're one of these conferences and you see FSU suing their current conference, doesn't this make them even less attractive to join?

I would think FSU already has a suitor or they are dumber than I imagined.

We don't

Why people think they'd want Oregon and Wash but NOT FSU is, uh, perplexing
They “wanted” Oregon and Washington because they were able to get them for a discounted price. They are both receiving 50% shares for 2024-2025, which will increase by $1 million per year.

Freedom of association is pretty fundamental. And no one is stopping them from leaving. They just have to pay.

I hope the ACC countersues. FSU has been doing everything it can to undermine the conference that it has a fiduciary duty to.
You said it better than me.

Is the only real complaint that they want more money and the ACC held them out of the NC race?

Like they have been a big time contender for years and haven't made any money off the ACC deal all this time? They could have stayed independent and been irrelevant long ago making less money.
They also werent claiming when they were terrible either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom