FSU vs The ACC | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Dream scenario:
FSU gets the exit fee waived, but still has to pony up to get out of the grant of rights to the tune of $412 million. B1G and SEC both advise there’s no room at the inn. FSU “happily” ends up in the Big XII. ACC negotiations fall through with ESPN and the league votes to dissolve for the 2027-2028 season. B1G and SEC pickup the pieces to both get to 24 total. FSU tries getting out of the Big XII, but that stingy grant of rights has them on the hook for another $XXX million which they can’t afford. The new 48 teams in the B1G and SEC vote to leave the NCAA.

Can anyone honestly say that the ACC has done a good job in media rights for conference members? Look at the media markets of this league vs SEC & BIG. There's no way this league should be that far behind in media revenue.

I think that is fair criticism...especially given the east coast media markets in which the ACC has operative schools.

I think that is fair criticism...especially given the east coast media markets in which the ACC has operative schools.

I think you are both wrong.

1. Look at the Top 25 by future conference:
B1G - 6 teams and 5 in the Top 10
SEC - 8 teams and 7 of the Top 13
ACC - 5 teams and only 1 Top 14

2. Look at the size of the schools and fanbases. For example going by median attendance:
B1G - 56,765
SEC - 83,875
ACC - 42,675

So the other conferences have more quality teams and larger following. That equals more TV $.

Use FSU exit fees to buy ND :)
I have said that too! Give them $250 million or whatever, the conference gets a new and much bigger TV deal, the rest of the exit fee goes to the other members and off we go. I can dream!

Someone mentioned that they heard the B1G is not especially interested in FSU. I'm wondering if politics will matter. The governors of California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Michigan and New Jersey are no fans of Florida and its governor. Not sure how much sway the governors have over this, and I doubt that would come into play, but would be kind of funny if it did. And FSU is burning its bridge with ESPN, so I doubt the SEC is an option, and Disney isn't exactly a fan of Florida state government right now.

Like I said, I doubt any of this comes into play, but would be hilarious if it did.

I think you are both wrong.

1. Look at the Top 25 by future conference:
B1G - 6 teams and 5 in the Top 10
SEC - 8 teams and 7 of the Top 13
ACC - 5 teams and only 1 Top 14

2. Look at the size of the schools and fanbases. For example going by median attendance:
B1G - 56,765
SEC - 83,875
ACC - 42,675

So the other conferences have more quality teams and larger following. That equals more TV $.
Ya, TV isn’t giving them more money out of the goodness of their heart. They bring more eyeballs and it’s not hard to quantify.

Much like the church and the boy scouts did when they faced massive lawsuits and fines. Can FSU exit the ACC, and then just file bankruptcy, get fees and penalties reduced/dismissed, and then go join a new conference?

Ya, TV isn’t giving them more money out of the goodness of their heart. They bring more eyeballs and it’s not hard to quantify.

Part of the reason they have large followings is because they're generally very successful. Nebraska may be turning it around with their good recruiting class this year, but they haven't had a winning season since Obama was president. What happens when fans that are used to going 10-2 are now putzing around from 5-7 to 7-5 because they don't get to pad their schedules any more. Apathy takes hold quick. We've seen it first hand.

Much like the church and the boy scouts did when they faced massive lawsuits and fines. Can FSU exit the ACC, and then just file bankruptcy, get fees and penalties reduced/dismissed, and then go join a new conference?
What would that do to their bond rating? (I think I'm using this term properly, I don't know much about finance)

So if they do leave, then that’s the end, it’s 2 conferences that matter and a reconstructed Conference USA for the rest.

The remaining ACC schools will always be more valuable than the leftover, fly-over ones in the big12.

If there is 2 lesser condos to remain…While it’s certainly not apples for apples, wv, Cincy and the directional Florida’s all would likely rather be ACC than big12.
Correct and we all know that’s been the end game of SEC and BIG10. Two super conference and the hell with everything and everyone else. It’s where we’ve been heading for awhile now. Even if FSU loses their case, which they may, it’s only delaying the inevitable 2 super conference format of college football. Sad, but it all turned into a money/power grab.

Correct and we all know that’s been the end game of SEC and BIG10. Two super conference and the hell with everything and everyone else. It’s where we’ve been heading for awhile now. Even if FSU loses their case, which they may, it’s only delaying the inevitable 2 super conference format of college football. Sad, but it all turned into a money/power grab.

I've wanted Congress to stay out of this, but there has to be antitrust issue when we have basically two networks colluding with two conferences to dominate college sports. This hierarchy wasn't decided on the field, it was decided men and women in boardrooms.

There's a very good chance that New York and all of New England will be left out of the highest echelon of college sports? Arizona and Colorado are also fairly big and important states that would be left out.

I've wanted Congress to stay out of this, but there has to be antitrust issue when we have basically two networks colluding with two conferences to dominate college sports. This hierarchy wasn't decided on the field, it was decided men and women in boardrooms.

There's a very good chance that New York and all of New England will be left out of the highest echelon of college sports? Arizona and Colorado are also fairly big and important states that would be left out.
We will not be left out if the ACC ends up dissolving. Having said that, it’s in our best interest for the ACC to keep going at this time.

At the end of all this nonsense there will likely be 2.5 power conferences — the SEC and B1G — and then some amalgamation of everyone else.

We’ll be in the everyone else. It’ll be fine. And hopefully it’ll stop all this constant realignment BS.

You can’t spend your endowment unless it doesn’t have any donor restrictions which would be highly unlikely. The only way they get out of this without damaging themselves financially is if they have a HUGE donor or they negotiate a settlement that can be spread out over time and satisfied with a future income stream. And let’s remember…..this is an institution of higher education. Its mission is to educate students. And oh by the way, they have an athletic program. If they shell out this kind of fee, the faculty will revolt.

At the end of all this nonsense there will likely be 2.5 power conferences — the SEC and B1G — and then some amalgamation of everyone else.

We’ll be in the everyone else. It’ll be fine. And hopefully it’ll stop all this constant realignment BS.
I think there’s plenty of room in the 12 team field for us and the big 12.

Sec and big ten get 7/12 annually which is fair and ok. 8/12 if us and the big 12 have no worthy at larges so only one team that isn’t conference winner from both leagues gets in. They won’t get 9/12 and all at larges.

The new playoff format totally protects the ACC and is an ideal format for us starting next year FSU is just trash no one wants to watch their backup qb get blown out.

I think we're underestimating FSU from the standpoint of NO ONE wants them. I have a hard time they'd set in motion this lawsuit against the other ACC schools (and yes they are suing us now) and not have some tacit plan in place to place them when the dust settles.

The concern I have is FSU is taking one for the team and is just a domino to really create an ACC doomsday.

The other part of is they're completely stupid and doing this without any regard for planning.

At the end of the day we'll be better off because we're inching towards being with schools that are like us. FSU leaving is just another school that has zero cultural connection to Syracuse University

They are a state university, they can’t file for bankruptcy.

The State of Florida isn’t going fund this nonsense.

The 12 team playoff is the perfect scenario for all 4 major conferences to be content and happy that there’s the correct amount of seats at the table for worthy teams. Big ten and sec get 3 teams maybe 4 and us and big 12 get 2. It’s perfect everyone is happy.

Of course trash FSU is going nuclear on the conference because they were correctly left out due to their backup QBs being garbage. Bama is probably going to win it all while they would have lost by 30+ to Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom