Full Roster | Syracusefan.com

Full Roster

SBU72

All Conference
With Mintz returning l believe that all 13 scholarships are account for. When was the last time that happened? I'm not counting years when walking on's were given extra leftover scholarships.

It feels like there’s too many people on the team now that can actually play
Good problem to have. That should increase the competition and growth of each player. I hope they have a similar mindset, and root and are happy for each other and be team-oriented and not sulk on the bench if not playing. Also increases flexibility for Red and keeps for different looks for opposing teams and better ability to run and press more often with fresh players. At least in theory…

Good problem to have. That should increase the competition and growth of each player. I hope they have a similar mindset, and root and are happy for each other and be team-oriented and not sulk on the bench if not playing. Also increases flexibility for Red and keeps for different looks for opposing teams and better ability to run and press more often with fresh players. At least in theory…
If guys aren't simply glued to the bench or hooked after making the same mistake once they see other guys stay in the game for, I think you can keep guys happy. If we go hard and rotate a lot of guys to stay fresh, most everyone will feel like their value to the team is more than just practice fodder.

Several good thoughts on this post. It really is a breathe of fresh air to look forward to a "different" style of play over the past few years. We had dropped into a predictable rut with our 2/3 zone, and teams were feasting to play us. Seemed everyone had our number... even Colgate! Red now has a full bench with a stable of talented, athletic players and Judah will definitely be the stick that stirs the drink! Can not wait for basketball season to start.

Several good thoughts on this post. It really is a breathe of fresh air to look forward to a "different" style of play over the past few years. We had dropped into a predictable rut with our 2/3 zone, and teams were feasting to play us. Seemed everyone had our number... even Colgate! Red now has a full bench with a stable of talented, athletic players and Judah will definitely be the stick that stirs the drink! Can not wait for basketball season to start.
To me the issue was that we stopped recruiting for the 2-3, but kept playing it exclusively.

To me the issue was that we stopped recruiting for the 2-3, but kept playing it exclusively.
Good perspective. The whole recruiting thing was a mess. Seemed like every player we tried to recruit ended up going some place else. It got to be real discouraging when we did not even make the top 3 or 5 schools as players narrowed down to their final choice. The last few years the zone became a shooting range and the team was built around what we had available. Not much rhyme or reason.

I don't think we necessarily stopped recruiting for it. We couldn't get the players that would have been good in it and been good on offense at the same time. We couldn't get players that were athletic, offensively skilled, and good on defense. The best we seemed to do with a few exceptions were 2 out of the 3. And I think a lot of the players that could have helped us saw that we had become rigid in what we wanted to do instead being a program that would adapt to the strengths of its players and they decided to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't think we necessarily stopped recruiting for it. We couldn't get the players that would have been good in it and been good on offense at the same time. We couldn't get players that were athletic, offensively skilled, and good on defense. The best we seemed to do with a few exceptions were 2 out of the 3. And I think a lot of the players that could have helped us saw that we had become rigid in what we wanted to do instead being a program that would adapt to the strengths of its players and they decided to go elsewhere.
Agree, rigid much more so defensively. Offensively, Coach B was still somewhat multiple, but we didn’t have the players year to year to score enough to overcome our progressively worsening defense. And I’ll always maintain that the zone was not friendly to 1st year players (whether frosh or transfers). And who wants to transfer into a program, at least as a grad transfer, to learn a complex/antiquated defense and get yelled at for a year about why you’re not making the right rotations and how much you suck at life (other than Cole Swider;-)).

Let’s face it, JB never wanted to use all of his scholarships. At a minimum he would keep one as a gift/reward scholarship for a walk-on. He’d keep another one or two for projects. I think JB never felt comfortable having more than 8 or 9 guys that could play at a high major D1 level. Roster management was never his strength.

Is our roster similar to 2022 Houston? In size and positions?
what other schools are guard heavy and center light?
our last FF team played Lydon at the 5 - DaJuan never recovered from injuries - and we beat 1 seed UVA on free throws (which meant getting inside).

Is our roster similar to 2022 Houston? In size and positions?
what other schools are guard heavy and center light?
our last FF team played Lydon at the 5 - DaJuan never recovered from injuries - and we beat 1 seed UVA on free throws (which meant getting inside).
I understand the question you are asking but i struggle with the term "center light". We may not yet have a fixture in the 5 spot and we may cover it with two or three players this year but with the four centers plus another person that could play the position for short periods of time (Brown), it is difficult for me to consider next years team as center light. If we are light at any position, I would agree we are forward light. Red and the coaching staff have several options to consider when putting a team on the floor. We can play big, small, pressing, defending, etc......even better scorers. One team we will need at endof games will be free throw shooters and shut down defenders. So many possibilities...... It is almost like our dreams have been answered, but we will know much more when the season finally starts. LGO!!

I understand the question you are asking but i struggle with the term "center light". We may not yet have a fixture in the 5 spot and we may cover it with two or three players this year but with the four centers plus another person that could play the position for short periods of time (Brown), it is difficult for me to consider next years team as center light. If we are light at any position, I would agree we are forward light. Red and the coaching staff have several options to consider when putting a team on the floor. We can play big, small, pressing, defending, etc...even better scorers. One team we will need at endof games will be free throw shooters and shut down defenders. So many possibilities... It is almost like our dreams have been answered, but we will know much more when the season finally starts. LGO!!
Just not sure we’re experienced at center. Footwork, rim presence/understanding, etc.
Maui will illuminate what we can do in the paint. And we have 10 fouls to give by non-Frosh 7-footers, plus Carey, Patterson, and others (Brown, but I’d prefer him at PF, alleviated by Westry and maybe Copeland)… not to mention Benny…

this is so confusing.

Just not sure we’re experienced at center. Footwork, rim presence/understanding, etc.
Maui will illuminate what we can do in the paint. And we have 10 fouls to give by non-Frosh 7-footers, plus Carey, Patterson, and others (Brown, but I’d prefer him at PF, alleviated by Westry and maybe Copeland)… not to mention Benny…

this is so confusing.

What's the hang up on traditional positions outside being used to seeing Syracuse under JB play traditional lineups? That concept is becoming less and less prevalent in favor of playing more than two guards and big men having a much different role.

What we can do in the paint will be driven by all the guards and attacking the rim or dropping it off, lobs etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom