Fun thought experiment on Rak... | Syracusefan.com

Fun thought experiment on Rak...

ROCorange

Walk On
Rakeem Christmas is having the season he is currently having, but is a Freshman. Where does he go in the draft? As a sophomore? Junior? Senior?

This is a good question. I'd have to think an almost certain lottery pick.

Freshman - top 10. Sophomore - top 15. Junior - late first round. Senior - second round.

"POTENTIAL" is the watchword.

Rakeem Christmas is having the season he is currently having, but is a Freshman. Where does he go in the draft? As a sophomore? Junior? Senior?
I think in 2011 he would have possibly gone #2 behind Kyrie.

If any of this is true it just proves the insanity of the entire system.

I don't think anyone, including the NBA folks, would disagree with you. When you draft potential, a GM can buy themselves a little time in case they blow the pick. The good teams are fine with letting this happen because they often pick up late 1st-round players who are ready to contribute right away, or pick guys who they can leave in Europe for a year or two and not pay.

Scoring with both hands on the block and a variety of moves.
Blowing by other bigs off the bounce with either hand.
Flashing a nice jumper out to 17'.
Shooting in the 70+% from the FT line.
Blocking 2+ shots a game.
Collecting 9 rebounds a game.
A willing passer when required but also able to score over and through the double team.
Being the defensive anchor for his team.
Slightly undersized for a 5 but excellent overall athleticism and body control.

Any freshman showing these traits and putting up Rak's numbers would be vying for the 1st pick IMO.

Any Sophmore doing this especially if it were a large jump from freshman year would be in the lottery and likely top 10.

As a junior things change pretty drastically but he still might have snuck into the lottery.

I know most won't agree but I think he is a 1st round pick right now. Once you get to that 20th pick its going to be pretty hard for GM's looking for a big guy to pass on him over some of these young guys that they know aren't ready to help them for a couple of year. Rak looks so physically mature compared to even an Okafor. Does anyone think Harrell (junior) is going before Rak in this draft?

Once he shows well against Harrell and Okafor he will create a lot of buzz in the college media which in turn will get the ESPN's of the world asking GM's and talking NBA.

Scoring with both hands on the block and a variety of moves.
Blowing by other bigs off the bounce with either hand.
Flashing a nice jumper out to 17'.
Shooting in the 70+% from the FT line.
Blocking 2+ shots a game.
Collecting 9 rebounds a game.
A willing passer when required but also able to score over and through the double team.
Being the defensive anchor for his team.
Slightly undersized for a 5 but excellent overall athleticism and body control.

Any freshman showing these traits and putting up Rak's numbers would be vying for the 1st pick IMO.

Any Sophmore doing this especially if it were a large jump from freshman year would be in the lottery and likely top 10.

As a junior things change pretty drastically but he still might have snuck into the lottery.

I know most won't agree but I think he is a 1st round pick right now. Once you get to that 20th pick its going to be pretty hard for GM's looking for a big guy to pass on him over some of these young guys that they know aren't ready to help them for a couple of year. Rak looks so physically mature compared to even an Okafor. Does anyone think Harrell (junior) is going before Rak in this draft?

Once he shows well against Harrell and Okafor he will create a lot of buzz in the college media which in turn will get the ESPN's of the world asking GM's and talking NBA.

Good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom