Fundraising and the SU fan base | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fundraising and the SU fan base

Colgate just recently raised over $25M to build a new hockey arena. I think it boils down to how connected the students feel to the school while attending. Chances are that if they don't attend the games, they probably won't contribute to a new facility after they graduate.

And how frequently/diplomatically/enthusiastically the school reaches out for money.

With a degree from each school, I can't begin to express how much Colgate outclasses SU in this regard.

[A bit off-topic, but related to your point about connection to the school, Colgate launched a last-minute, one-day fundraising campaign on Friday [the final Colgate Day of 2013]. An anonymous donor announced that he/she would give $1 million to the school for financial aid if the school could find 1,300 donors (of any amount) on Friday. By mid-morning, the school announced that it had reached its goal but that two more alumni would each donate $1 million if the total of small donors reached 2,600. Another alumnus stepped up and offered another million if the total reached 3,500.

We hit that by the end of the day. $4 million from four people, plus 3,500+ other donations. I can't see that happening at SU. For starters, they don't solicit small-time donations or cultivate young donors.]

I was mostly referring to celebs. How many people have graduated from SU that are now in hollywood? Start a campaign. I know its not easy but go after the big fish
Play up the Ernie Davis angle to give the program some cache with the Hollywood crowd. It's more than a sport, it's a cause!

We are good at the little guy donating when they are asked or know about something. We aren't very good at the big ticket things. We can donate $44 all day long. It's not going to out a debt into an IPF. We need those lead donors who donate 1, 2, $3m.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
What about Freeney, Harrison, McNabb (BOD for gosh sake!) etc. Where are these guys in the big picture!!

What about Freeney, Harrison, McNabb (BOD for gosh sake!) etc. Where are these guys in the big picture!!

Aside from the transcendent ones, athletes typically do not have much money to donate. A lot of them burn through most of it during their playing careers, and the wealth they do have by the end of their careers is mostly non-liquid. Obviously that isn't the case with all athletes, but it can be tricky.

OburgOrange said:

McNabb has done his share. He donated $2-3m for the weight room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Scooch said:
Yep. I hear that from some alums who are incredulous that a school they paid $150,000+ to attend calls and asks for donations. It's a mix of some not understanding the realities of the arms race we find ourselves in, and some understanding the arms race but finding it ludicrous.

Hard when you're still trying to finance that nut...

this school and the way things are done has historically been so Mickey Mouse and incompetent it's not even funny. If not for Jason Poles doing some attempted yeomans work there would be no contact for the average fan and regular guy donator at all. And that's on a message board and not personal contact.

When I say Mickey Mouse I'm comparing it to my alma mater (Hamilton College) where they are hyperefficient at getting in touch with all alums, especially those of us who give regularly. I'm no whale to say the least and only pony up $500-1000/year at my school but this year for the first time in 28 years I'm giving zero as my own personal protest in letting the football program drop from beating nationally ranked teams to ofer seasons and barely better than a Tx HS team (if that).

Anyway, since I've not donated this year I must have received 25 calls from them the last one finally leaving a message. They contact all my friends, etc. and leave no stone unturned no matter how small the donor. When a student there I worked in the Communication and Developement dept there helping with fundraising and they have an incredible program there that is very successful being in the top tier % wise of alums who give of any college in the country. When there is communications with the school it's clear I'm the desired customer/consumer with the classy professional way they communicate with us.

How my little div. III school of 1600 students can be in the ball park endowment wise a school the size of Syracuse University is beyond me but it is. I can't ever recall getting a call or any personal touch from anyone up there, ever! And though I'm not a big hitter deserved of the red carpet treatment or any special coddling, I am a long time Orange Club member, a Club 44 member for many years, football and hoops season tix holder, buy away game tix through the university and travel for many years, etc. In other words, just the type of person they should be hitting up.

If not for here and this board with the IPF donation program I would not have known about an easy way to donate. I'm sure they'll say that there's opportunity to donate when we pony up with everything else online or however, but again, there's zero connection of any positive nature or personal connection at all I can ever recall. And it's like that it seems anytime I've reached out for whatever reason in dealing with them up there, their entitlement attitude reaks across the board whether it be the ticket office, the orange club folks, the ushers or whomever I seem to deal with there.

Its like that old joke when dealing with them up there where the customer is ticked the cashier doesn't say anything pleasant like have a good day, and rather says to the miffed customer with attitude, "it's on your receipt" to have a good day. That's the attitude I sense up there.

Even with reaching out proactively to them that's the experience, of which I'm sure a few here might remember this story but it's worth repeating as it is emblematic of what goes on up there. When I tried to offer up for their use my Ernie Davis signed and team signed 1959 national championship ball for display half the year up there (or for anytime they think they could use such a thing to their advantage) it was a ridiculous joke.

I call, call again, call again, leaving messages and the message ultimately to me is that someone would get back to me. And when they do and a meeting is set up it is with an underling so far down the line of command who has zero knowledge of sports and when I get in their office theres no room to put it down on the desk to show it, explain what I'd like to do. So the person takes it out of the display case and says follow out of the office to the central room with a huge central table with no room on it either in the middle of the room with multiple people working there.

The ball (worth thousands mind you) is dropped there on the pile of whatever that's on the table and knocks over a closed (thankfully) bottle of water barely missing a cup of coffee/pile of food whereupon which I then grab it back. Still trying to keep the cheesebag smile on my face wanting to take one for my team I plunder on and am then told where it would be kept whereupon the person had to excuse themselves for a minute to take care of another matter.

So with a minute or likely much more to spare waiting I went out to see where they were going to keep it and it became evident to me why the Heisman trophy was stolen (maybe it's different now as this was before the latest round of renovations). The display case was rickety and the lock on it ridiculous and seeing that I finally had enough and just bolted out and left.

I told this story here and someone from the board must have relayed it to someone up there (I'm keeping all names off this) as I was told to give them a call. I did and it sounded like maybe after all it was something they might be interested in. You know the only national championship the schools had with the ball signed by the schools only and first Heisman winner, the first African American at that. Well I called and the person that was to take care of it now was real busy at the time of the call and asked that if they forgot to call me later on, that I should call them at some point to remind them that they forgot to call me. I kid you not.

Well needless to say I never made the call and the ball still sits in the display case at my house/office. Mickey Mouse. That's the definition of it. That's all a true story that's been eating at my craw for years so it's finally vented as, again, it's emblematic and a perfect example of how things re fundraising and with things like this seem to be handled. They're lucky I guess that we're blindly loyal to a fault and will keep on keeping on support wise but it is quite frustrating because this type thing may be a contributing factor to as part of the reason we're at a competitive disadvantage.

There's nowhere to go but up and I guess that's the good thing. Maybe just maybe they'll get it together and be more proactive and efficient and get better support. With what we all just did for the bowl it's evident it can be done better. Keep staking out the whales but cultivate the little guys too a bit and they could be in a better place.

Wow that was a lot.

Last edited:
this school and the way things are done has historically been so Mickey Mouse and incompetent it's not even funny. If not for Jason Poles doing some attempted yeomans work there would be no contact for the average fan and regular guy donator at all. And that's on a message board and not personal contact.

When I say Mickey Mouse I'm comparing it to my alma mater (Hamilton College) where they are hyperefficient at getting in touch with all alums, especially those of us who give regularly. I'm no whale to say the least and only pony up $500-1000/year at my school but this year for the first time in 28 years I'm giving zero as my own personal protest in letting the football program drop from beating nationally ranked teams to ofer seasons and barely better than a Tx HS team (if that).

Anyway, since I've not donated this year I must have received 25 calls from them the last one finally leaving a message. They contact all my friends, etc. and leave no stone unturned no matter how small the donor. When a student there I worked in the Communication and Developement dept there helping with fundraising and they have an incredible program there that is very successful being in the top tier % wise of alums who give of any college in the country. When there is communications with the school it's clear I'm the desired customer/consumer with the classy professional way they communicate with us.

How my little div. III school of 1600 students can be in the ball park endowment wise a school the size of Syracuse University is beyond me but it is. I can't ever recall getting a call or any personal touch from anyone up there, ever! And though I'm not a big hitter deserved of the red carpet treatment or any special coddling, I am a long time Orange Club member, a Club 44 member for many years, football and hoops season tix holder, buy away game tix through the university and travel for many years, etc. In other words, just the type of person they should be hitting up.

If not for here and this board with the IPF donation program I would not have known about an easy way to donate. I'm sure they'll say that there's opportunity to donate when we pony up with everything else online or however, but again, there's zero connection of any positive nature or personal connection at all I can ever recall. And it's like that it seems anytime I've reached out for whatever reason in dealing with them up there, their entitlement attitude reaks across the board whether it be the ticket office, the orange club folks, the ushers or whomever I seem to deal with there.

Its like that old joke when dealing with them up there where the customer is ticked the cashier doesn't say anything pleasant like have a good day, and rather says to the miffed customer, "it's on your receipt" to have a good day. That's the attitude I sense up there.

Even with reaching out proactively to them that's the experience, of which I'm sure a few here might remember this story but it's worth repeating as it is emblematic of what goes on up there. When I tried to offer up for their use my Ernie Davis signed and team signed 1959 national championship ball for display half the year up there (or for anytime they think they could use such a thing to their advantage) it was a ridiculous joke.

I call, call again, call again, leaving messages and the message ultimately to me is that someone would get back to me. And when they do and a meeting is set up it is with an underling so far down the line of command who has zero knowledge of sports and when I get in their office theres no room to put it down on the desk to show it, explain what I'd like to do. So the person takes it out of the display case and says follow out of the office to the central room with a huge central table with no room on it either in the middle of the room with multiple people working there.

The ball (worth thousands mind you) is dropped there in the pile by them knocks over a closed (thankfully) bottle of water barely missing the cup of coffee/pile of food there whereupon which I then grab it back. Still trying to keep the cheesebag smile on my face wanting to take one for my team I plunder on and am then told where it would be kept whereupon the person had to excuse themselves for a minute to take care of another matter.

So with a minute or likely much more to spare waiting I went out to see where they were going to keep it and it became evident to me why the Heisman trophy was stolen (maybe it's different now as this was before the latest round of renovations). The display case was rickety and the lock on it ridiculous and seeing that I finally had enough and just bolted out and left.

I told this story here and someone from the board must have relayed it to someone up there (I'm keeping all names off this) as I was told to give them a call. I did and it sounded like maybe after all it was something they might be interested in. You know the only national championship the schools had with the ball signed by the schools only and first Heisman winner, the first African American at that. Well I called and the person that was to take care of it now was real busy and asked that if they forgot to call me that I should call them at some point to remind them that they forgot to call.

Well needless to say I never made the call and the ball still sits in the display case at my house/office. Mickey Mouse. That's all the definition of it. That's all a true story that's been eating at my craw for years so it's finally vented as, again, it's emblematic and a perfect example of how things re fundraising and with things like this seem to be handled. They're lucky I guess that we're blindly loyal to a fault and will keep on keeping on support wise but it is quite frustrating because it may contribute as part of the reason we're at a competitive disadvantage.

There's nowhere to go but up and I guess that's the good thing. Maybe just maybe they'll get it together and be more proactive and efficient and get better support. With what we all just did for the bowl it's evident it can be done better. Keep staking out the whales but cultivate the little guys too a bit and they could be in a better place.

Wow that was a lot.

Thanks for sharing.

What a GD embarrassment. I'm glad stories like this are put out just so others know just how pathetic of an operation we have going on up there.

Its like that old joke when dealing with them up there where the customer is ticked the cashier doesn't say anything pleasant like have a good day, and rather says to the miffed customer, "it's on your receipt" to have a good day. That's the attitude I sense up there.

The ball (worth thousands mind you) is dropped there in the pile by them knocks over a closed (thankfully) bottle of water barely missing the cup of coffee/pile of food there whereupon which I then grab it back. Still trying to keep the cheesebag smile on my face wanting to take one for my team I plunder on and am then told where it would be kept whereupon the person had to excuse themselves for a minute to take care of another matter.

I told this story here and someone from the board must have relayed it to someone up there (I'm keeping all names off this) as I was told to give them a call. I did and it sounded like maybe after all it was something they might be interested in. You know the only national championship the schools had with the ball signed by the schools only and first Heisman winner, the first African American at that. Well I called and the person that was to take care of it now was real busy and asked that if they forgot to call me that I should call them at some point to remind them that they forgot to call.

Well needless to say I never made the call and the ball still sits in the display case at my house/office. Mickey Mouse. That's all the definition of it. That's all a true story that's been eating at my craw for years so it's finally vented as, again, it's emblematic and a perfect example of how things re fundraising and with things like this seem to be handled. They're lucky I guess that we're blindly loyal to a fault and will keep on keeping on support wise but it is quite frustrating because it may contribute as part of the reason we're at a competitive disadvantage.

Wow that was a lot.

You absolutely nailed it. The attitude of the people up there and the arrogance as you noted is at Defcon 5. They always act like there doing you a favor by allowing you to purchase season tickets, a parking pass, donate etc. If you ever have an issue good luck getting any sort of resolution or answer unless you reach one of the handful of helpful employees in the ticket/orange pack offices. Your football story reminds me of the time my father and I first purchased season tickets years and years ago in person at the box office. The woman behind the counter was so condescending to every person it was unreal. Someone tried to pay with a check I believe and she blurted out "you wont be paying with that here" she then went into a long diatribe about how the season was to close to starting and you had to have cash or credit card. The poor guy she was talking to was left scrambling to figure it out. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about the credit card my father was using because it was in my mothers name at the time and demanded she show up in person and refused to do it over the phone with her, it was a nightmare. It is no shock to me there struggling to raise money, everything outside of Jason and a few others is ass backwards up there.

Cuseregular said:
this school and the way things are done has historically been so Mickey Mouse and incompetent it's not even funny. If not for Jason Poles doing some attempted yeomans work there would be no contact for the average fan and regular guy donator at all. And that's on a message board and not personal contact. When I say Mickey Mouse I'm comparing it to my alma mater (Hamilton College) where they are hyperefficient at getting in touch with all alums, especially those of us who give regularly. I'm no whale to say the least and only pony up $500-1000/year at my school but this year for the first time in 28 years I'm giving zero as my own personal protest in letting the football program drop from beating nationally ranked teams to ofer seasons and barely better than a Tx HS team (if that). Anyway, since I've not donated this year I must have received 25 calls from them the last one finally leaving a message. They contact all my friends, etc. and leave no stone unturned no matter how small the donor. When a student there I worked in the Communication and Developement dept there helping with fundraising and they have an incredible program there that is very successful being in the top tier % wise of alums who give of any college in the country. When there is communications with the school it's clear I'm the desired customer/consumer with the classy professional way they communicate with us. How my little div. III school of 1600 students can be in the ball park endowment wise a school the size of Syracuse University is beyond me but it is. I can't ever recall getting a call or any personal touch from anyone up there, ever! And though I'm not a big hitter deserved of the red carpet treatment or any special coddling, I am a long time Orange Club member, a Club 44 member for many years, football and hoops season tix holder, buy away game tix through the university and travel for many years, etc. In other words, just the type of person they should be hitting up. If not for here and this board with the IPF donation program I would not have known about an easy way to donate. I'm sure they'll say that there's opportunity to donate when we pony up with everything else online or however, but again, there's zero connection of any positive nature or personal connection at all I can ever recall. And it's like that it seems anytime I've reached out for whatever reason in dealing with them up there, their entitlement attitude reaks across the board whether it be the ticket office, the orange club folks, the ushers or whomever I seem to deal with there. Its like that old joke when dealing with them up there where the customer is ticked the cashier doesn't say anything pleasant like have a good day, and rather says to the miffed customer, "it's on your receipt" to have a good day. That's the attitude I sense up there. Even with reaching out proactively to them that's the experience, of which I'm sure a few here might remember this story but it's worth repeating as it is emblematic of what goes on up there. When I tried to offer up for their use my Ernie Davis signed and team signed 1959 national championship ball for display half the year up there (or for anytime they think they could use such a thing to their advantage) it was a ridiculous joke. I call, call again, call again, leaving messages and the message ultimately to me is that someone would get back to me. And when they do and a meeting is set up it is with an underling so far down the line of command who has zero knowledge of sports and when I get in their office theres no room to put it down on the desk to show it, explain what I'd like to do. So the person takes it out of the display case and says follow out of the office to the central room with a huge central table with no room on it either in the middle of the room with multiple people working there. The ball (worth thousands mind you) is dropped there in the pile by them knocks over a closed (thankfully) bottle of water barely missing the cup of coffee/pile of food there whereupon which I then grab it back. Still trying to keep the cheesebag smile on my face wanting to take one for my team I plunder on and am then told where it would be kept whereupon the person had to excuse themselves for a minute to take care of another matter. So with a minute or likely much more to spare waiting I went out to see where they were going to keep it and it became evident to me why the Heisman trophy was stolen (maybe it's different now as this was before the latest round of renovations). The display case was rickety and the lock on it ridiculous and seeing that I finally had enough and just bolted out and left. I told this story here and someone from the board must have relayed it to someone up there (I'm keeping all names off this) as I was told to give them a call. I did and it sounded like maybe after all it was something they might be interested in. You know the only national championship the schools had with the ball signed by the schools only and first Heisman winner, the first African American at that. Well I called and the person that was to take care of it now was real busy and asked that if they forgot to call me that I should call them at some point to remind them that they forgot to call. Well needless to say I never made the call and the ball still sits in the display case at my house/office. Mickey Mouse. That's all the definition of it. That's all a true story that's been eating at my craw for years so it's finally vented as, again, it's emblematic and a perfect example of how things re fundraising and with things like this seem to be handled. They're lucky I guess that we're blindly loyal to a fault and will keep on keeping on support wise but it is quite frustrating because it may contribute as part of the reason we're at a competitive disadvantage. There's nowhere to go but up and I guess that's the good thing. Maybe just maybe they'll get it together and be more proactive and efficient and get better support. With what we all just did for the bowl it's evident it can be done better. Keep staking out the whales but cultivate the little guys too a bit and they could be in a better place. Wow that was a lot.

That is unreal

That Colgate Day fundraising was impressive to see. It shows a sense of community and pride, that exists with SU as the Texas Bowl effort confirms.

I will say that SU seems to be trying harder to cultivate younger and smaller donations, but one issue is that everyone there is competing for your money. I get solicitations from the general University fund and two of the colleges. It would help more to get all these groups together instead of having them competing for donors.

I will also add that it would be nice to see some of the admins up at SU kick in some money to start projects, or contribute. For example, what would it say if DG put in towards the IPF or new outdoor track. For a guy who is friends with Dolgon, DG doesn't seem to have the ability to connect to the community

The Syracuse University Thickbuger Indoor Practice Facility, brought to you by OttoinGrotto (or TSUTIPFBTYBO).
The name really flows.

In other news, that Ernie Davis signed ball story is INSANE.

How many on here have donated to the I'm In campaign? This was set up to cover all types of athletic donations. Large and small and you can pick specifically where you want your money to go. It is fairly new. They rolled it out with the alumni club challenge. The concept is to use the resources of the alumni clubs to reach out for donations. Two clubs (hopefully one being my AZ club) will win grand prizes. This is based on numbers donating and not dollar amounts. This is perfect for the small guy donors. But someone can go on (make sure you credit the ARIZONA club!!) and donate a million dollars on the same page. I have some alum who are probably only donating $20. Here is the link to donate: http://suathletics.com/imin/alumniclub.aspx. It would help my club if you posted your donation in the drop down box to the Arizona Alumni Club. Or Moontan is the Atlanta alumni club to be fair to another regular poster.
Jason Poles was instrumental in setting this up. He has good ideas. But as pointed out by bees and others, while our $44 donations are nice, they still need the larger donations to really accomplish what they need. But they are finally making an effort to include all of us. We may not get a phone call from Chris or Dr. Gross but they ARE looking for our smaller donations. So here I am, an alumni club president, doing my job and once again pointing you towards this campaign.
Full rebar mentioned why can't we put all of our SU donations together. We'll guess what? You always could. I did it for years. I went to the SU web page to donate and then used the drop down box to chose where in athletics I wanted my money to go or if to Newhouse for example. It was all on one page. I bet most did not know that they could donate to athletics that way. This separate campaign for athletics is the better way to go. It makes it very easy to target the fans and for the fans to pick even more specifically where their money will go. Next week the SU women's team will be playing Arizona State and some of us will be making donations specifically to that program through the Im In website and the clubs challenge tab. You can also donate without crediting a club. It is all there and easy peasy!!!
I don't live in Syracuse and am jealous that many of you can attend the games. I also don't get to experience the frustrations you see with your season ticket charges and feeling that sometimes you are treated like second hand citizens there. BUT I believe this campaign is the very beginning of an effort to change the ways things may have been done before. So let's do our part and donate $20, $44, $88, $144, $1044, $44,000, or 44 million dollars to the I'm In campaign.

I will say that SU seems to be trying harder to cultivate younger and smaller donations, but one issue is that everyone there is competing for your money. I get solicitations from the general University fund and two of the colleges. It would help more to get all these groups together instead of having them competing for donors.
As llandz indicated, this is easy to do.

When I donate, I specify how the funds are to be used. I typically direct percentages to the university's general fund, my school's general fund as well as specific scholarships. I receive acknowledgement from my school's dean in addition to the general SU "thank you", so I know that the funds are distributed as indicated.

When one of your schools calls you tell them that they will be receiving a portion of your overall donation. If you've already donated you can indicate that they will be included in next year's donation.

You absolutely nailed it. The attitude of the people up there and the arrogance as you noted is at Defcon 5. They always act like there doing you a favor by allowing you to purchase season tickets, a parking pass, donate etc. If you ever have an issue good luck getting any sort of resolution or answer unless you reach one of the handful of helpful employees in the ticket/orange pack offices. Your football story reminds me of the time my father and I first purchased season tickets years and years ago in person at the box office. The woman behind the counter was so condescending to every person it was unreal. Someone tried to pay with a check I believe and she blurted out "you wont be paying with that here" she then went into a long diatribe about how the season was to close to starting and you had to have cash or credit card. The poor guy she was talking to was left scrambling to figure it out. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about the credit card my father was using because it was in my mothers name at the time and demanded she show up in person and refused to do it over the phone with her, it was a nightmare. It is no shock to me there struggling to raise money, everything outside of Jason and a few others is ass backwards up there.
As someone who works in ticket sales currently this is shocking to me. I do my best to bend over backwards for customers, and reading something like this is crazy. I have met customers near my office to pick up payment if it means making the sale.

As someone who works in ticket sales currently this is shocking to me. I do my best to bend over backwards for customers, and reading something like this is crazy. I have met customers near my office to pick up payment if it means making the sale.

Trust me when I say that is the tip of the iceberg. If you start a thread asking for experiences with Syracuse, especially the ticket office/orangepack/ernie davis etc. You wont believe some of the responses you will get.

llandz and moontan- thanks for pointing out the website, but what's interesting is that most of the things I still receive is mailings with response cards. SU could do a better job of promoting the website (as well as reducing the amount of mail sent)

Trust me when I say that is the tip of the iceberg. If you start a thread asking for experiences with Syracuse, especially the ticket office/orangepack/ernie davis etc. You wont believe some of the responses you will get.

I went to the football game against Missouri last year in Columbia. I wanted to buy the tickets from SU to try to sit with any other SU fans that might be there. But I also need wheelchair seats. Based on just reading this board about the ticket office, I didn't even try with SU and just bought them from Missouri. I just didn't see any way that was going to end up going well based on what I have read on this board.

The craziest part is they are contracted through IMG so that really makes no sense.

I went to the football game against Missouri last year in Columbia. I wanted to buy the tickets from SU to try to sit with any other SU fans that might be there. But I also need wheelchair seats. Based on just reading this board about the ticket office, I didn't even try with SU and just bought them from Missouri. I just didn't see any way that was going to end up going well based on what I have read on this board.

YOu made the right call, if you can avoid dealing with SU on issues its usually a good thing.

The craziest part is they are contracted through IMG so that really makes no sense.

It may have improved the last couple of years but from hearing things in public and on here it still seems like a complete cluster up there. The entire ticketing, orangepack, donating, marketing divisions need a complete overhaul.

I get a magazine from Maxwell, a magazine from the university, a magazine for A&S, solicitations for the general fund, solicitations for maxwell, solicitations for A&S, many emails selling sweatshirts, emails from the dome ticket office, and emails from career services because I mentor people looking to break in to my field - so I am pretty sure the university has my contact info. But I have never, not once, received anything in the mail or via email selling the I'm In campaign or any prior campaign. I contributed of my own volition. But there is not one ounce of effort being thrown in to collecting funds from the general alumni base for athletics, despite sports being an important part of the experience most of us had at SU. And per the above that it's being rolled out through the alumni clubs - a. how many people keep their information up to date with the local alumni club; b. i haven't received anything from my alumni club. The very basics of this involve looking at the $2b academic campaign and getting a list of who contributed and sending them all an email. It costs nothing, you just cross reference a database. But nothing has happened, nothing. it's incredibly weak to the point of incompetence. Syracuse might not have a huge pool of billionaires to pick over, but they have a huge number of people making 200k-$500k as lawyers, lobbyists, advertising/marketing execs etc who can afford to drop $10k a year on supporting something that brought them joy during a care free time in their lives - but you have to make them want to do it and not just hope they'll reach that conclusion on their own.

I even get emails and an occasional mailing from the University of Chicago's athletic department looking for money and I was just a grad student there. Do you know how bad Athletics are at Chicago - pretty bad, no one cares about the teams even a little unless your son/daughter/boy-girlfriend plays on one of them. We had a classmate who was playing on the football team and he was 27 or something. And yet despite the extent to which sports do not matter at that school they had better fundraising, despite the fact that given their endowment size that place doesn't necessarily need to raise money to keep up a 3rd rate athletics budget.

Ignoring the little/mid-size fish doesn't work when you have such a limited number of big fish in the pond.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom