Future ACC conference tournies... | Syracusefan.com

Future ACC conference tournies...

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I'd like to see a scenario of a 3 or 4 city rotation for the ACC tourney.

Focusing around:

1) Atlanta
2) Charlotte
3) Washington DC
4) NYC

It would be fair and balanced. I honestly think the ACC could wiggle their way into MSG by offering more money. Let's face it, the ACC will have more money (and appeal) than the BE remnants.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a two city rotation between Atlanta and NYC.

its just gotta get outta greensboro/charlotte/wherever they play it now

charlotte/greensboro will always be in the rotation. don't see them moving to msg unless big east completely falls apart. would brooklyn arena work?

Can't see why Brooklyn wouldn't work.
only concern would be is there enough interest for 2 competing tournaments in the same city. that also seems really cold of the new acc to do.

only concern would be is there enough interest for 2 competing tournaments in the same city. that also seems really cold of the new acc to do.

It's not far fetched to think the ACC will go to 16, two natural fits would be WVU and UConn. If two more BE teams go to the ACC the viability of the BE will come into question. There might be a bigger demand for an ACC tourney at MSG then. I think, regardless of that, SU and Pitt should throw a hissy fit against have the tourney in Duke and NC's back yard. It's just no fair. Plenty of Dookies and UNC'ers will make their way to MSG. As much as I dislike this move, it seems like a pre-emptive strike. Football rules and the BE just lost two of its big football schools.

I'd like to see a scenario of a 3 or 4 city rotation for the ACC tourney.

Focusing around:

1) Atlanta
2) Charlotte
3) Washington DC
4) NYC

It would be fair and balanced. I honestly think the ACC could wiggle their way into MSG by offering more money. Let's face it, the ACC will have more money (and appeal) than the BE remnants.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a two city rotation between Atlanta and NYC.

North Carolina will always be part of the rotation.
I'm hoping Atlanta won't be, as it's a lousy sports town with a sterile venue for the games.
With the addition of a northern component to the league, I hope MSG becomes part of the rotation. If UConn and maybe Rutgers are the next additions, there might be enough of a voting bloc to make NYC a regular stop (and not just every 5-6 years).
I wonder if MSG can now cancel the contract with the BE because of the drastic weakening of the composition of the league.

The only schools that have brought significant crowds to the BET the past 10 years are SU, UConn and Pitt. If UConn follows SU to the ACC (Rutgers has no fans and doesn't matter), the remaining schools will struggle to sell half the tickets to the BET. There will be close to zero TV interest as well.

It would be crazy to try and have a BET in MSG without SU, UConn and Pitt. If they lose UConn too, they should play the BET on campus in Piscataway, or maybe Morgantown or Louisville. That is their best chance for some tickets sold and a decent tournament.

The only schools that have brought significant crowds to the BET the past 10 years are SU, UConn and Pitt. If UConn follows SU to the ACC (Rutgers has no fans and doesn't matter), the remaining schools will struggle to sell half the tickets to the BET. There will be close to zero TV interest as well.

It would be crazy to try and have a BET in MSG without SU, UConn and Pitt. If they lose UConn too, they should play the BET on campus in Piscataway, or maybe Morgantown or Louisville. That is their best chance for some tickets sold and a decent tournament.

That's a point everyone forgets. MSG won't care about the BET anymore. In fact, I have little doubt that SU and the ACC have already had discussions with MSG.

Duke, NC, Maryland, Ga Tech, and BC fans will travel well to MSG. Add in Syracuse and Pitt and you have a better attended conference tourney than their normal North Carolina Quartet dominated tourney.

There are TONS of ACC alum in the NYC area (Duke, Miami, Ga Tech, UNC, Uva). There is a strong presence there.

A rotation of

MSG
Charlotte
ATL
DC

Would work for me. I think there would now be enough Northern clout (between Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Maryland and possibly Miami) to force the ACC office to bring the tourney to NYC on a regular basis. Charlotte's in there because obviously there needs to be Carolina presence. Greensboro is incredibly small-time (like having Big East HQ in Providence.)

Duke, NC, Maryland, Ga Tech, and BC fans will travel well to MSG. Add in Syracuse and Pitt and you have a better attended conference tourney than their normal North Carolina Quartet dominated tourney.

There are TONS of ACC alum in the NYC area (Duke, Miami, Ga Tech, UNC, Uva). There is a strong presence there.

IMO, the ACC tourney in MSG will be a tougher ticket than the BET is.

How about a pair of 2-game play-ins with 8 teams in a northern location and another 8 teams in a southern location - after the 2 games, you are left with a final 4 that move to a central location a few says later such as Carolina or DC? That way you don't end up with teams having to play 4 games in a row ...

How about a pair of 2-game play-ins with 8 teams in a northern location and another 8 teams in a southern location - after the 2 games, you are left with a final 4 that move to a central location a few says later such as Carolina or DC? That way you don't end up with teams having to play 4 games in a row ...
You can have it in one location over 5 or 6 days.

If there are 14 teams, you give #1 and #2 seeds a bye into the second round.

3 games on Wednesday (3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12)

3 games on Thursday (6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9)

Quarters start on Friday with #1 and #2 seeds playing their first games.

Semis on Saturday

Finals on Sunday afternoon.

If ESPN wants a Saturday night championship, you just move up the games 1 day and start on Tuesday. If you go to 16 teams you have #1 through #4 seeds open play on the first day, given them a day off on the second day.

You have to win 4 games to win the whole thing.

I just can't see Atlanta in the mix. I think that's the equivalent of having the tournament in Boston without an actual team based out of the city. I've said it before... That's SEC turf. The closest team is Clemson. The conference would be better off aiming for Columbia or Charlotte.

I just can't see Atlanta in the mix. I think that's the equivalent of having the tournament in Boston without an actual team based out of the city. I've said it before... That's SEC turf. The closest team is Clemson. The conference would be better off aiming for Columbia or Charlotte.
Two things:

1) The ACC tourney is being held in Atlanta this year.

2) GaTech is located in Atlanta...which happens to be a lot closer than Clemson.

Two things:

1) The ACC tourney is being held in Atlanta this year.

2) GaTech is located in Atlanta...which happens to be a lot closer than Clemson.

Okay, I forget about GaTech. I just have a lot of family and friends in the area, and they could care less. -Even if the ACC tourney will go there this year. G'Tech is definitely a secondary school when compared to the NC schools popularity. I understand trying to increase prestige, but I don't see it. Maybe the tourney will prove me wrong.

I'd like to add that by my being here and forgetting about G'Tech only contributes to that schools irrelevance in what seems an SEC centric area.

Atlanta is 100% SEC country & 100% college football country. I see it everyday. Very rarely do you see an ACC school represented besides Tech. I've seen no less than 5 cars driving around with LSU flags in the last 2 weeks. However, considering how large the area is-Atlanta has to be in the rotation-the media attention, the college sports focus, the venues, etc... If you don't think a Syracuse-Duke final wouldn't draw 35,ooo at the Georgia Dome you would be highly mistaken. The potential in Atlanta for the ACC is tremendous, but thats up to the ACC marketing people & getting a little adventurous outside of NC. Don't get me wrong Charlotte, & Raleigh are nice places, but they are in a tier far lower than Atlanta. This place is well known for being a lousy pro sports town...but remember its the mecca for college football. The potentional growth for the ACC here is off the charts. Just have to beat the SEC when you get the chance.

Cusetiger, I agree about Atlanta being SEC country but since GaTech is located there and the Georgia Dome would be packed to the rafters for a b-ball tournament, it makes sense to me. I think an arena that would hold huge crowds would be a plus - I want to be able to get tickets! MSG is great but I like the idea of filling a dome, too, and the weather it Atlanta would be quite a bit warmer, making it more likely that I would invest in a road trip.

That's a point everyone forgets. MSG won't care about the BET anymore. In fact, I have little doubt that SU and the ACC have already had discussions with MSG.

Agree completely -- I think even if Uconn stays in a cobbled-together Big East (which i highly doubt), the new ACC with the additions of Syracuse (HUGE NYC fan base) and Pitt (3rd biggest fan base in old Big East) along with Duke, Maryland, and Carolina would be a much bigger event. Much more so than anything the BET has ever seen really. The loss of Syracuse and to a lesser extent Pitt is a killer for the BET attendance wise.

Okay, I forget about GaTech. I just have a lot of family and friends in the area, and they could care less.
You're out of touch.

Between the Superbowl and the start of baseball season GT hoops definitely gets some attention. The local ESPN station (not GT's radio affiliate) has a weekly segment with the head coach.

Two other things to keep in mind:
1. GT is getting a new hoops arena
2. Atlanta just lost its NHL franchise... I would expect some more time to cover NCAA hoops.

My last contribution I give the attribution to my wife, a native of Rome, GA, and who has lived in Atlanta. Georgia residents generally don't care about Georgia Tech, even if it is in Atlanta. They care about Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Auburn who are all within a couple of hours of the city. While it would be fun to have a tournament there, it just doesn't have the same potential as a loyal or isolated ACC regional city. The ACC is better off elsewhere with big events- that is unless they can lure Georgia to their conference. Most of all, really, it's out of the way.

And like I said, I live down here. People don't care about G'Tech unless they went there. If G'Tech was important, people would talk about it. At least, not anywhere near the scale they do about the SEC. My wife knows one G' Tech alumni who doesn't even root for his own school. Prayers in the area are generally "Roll Tide" and "Go Dawgs". Sorry.

I lived in ATL about 15 years ago. I'd say it was 90% Georgia fans, 10%(or less) Georgia Tech fans. that said, GT hoops was still an impossible ticket to get, even against shlub teams. That's that advantage of a large city, small numbers of fans by percentage are still huge numbers of fans total.

check and see how the ACC tournament does in ATL this March. I'll bet money it does really, really well. it's a great, natural spot for an ACC tourney, and will be in the rotation going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom