Future Lacrosse Dividend | Syracusefan.com

Future Lacrosse Dividend

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I'm certain that the sport was considered to some extent when the University applied to the ACC, but at some point in the future lacrosse could become a very important financial dividend of this move.

The ACC is now/will be the ultimate lacrosse conference - a true dynamo.

I have little doubt that in the next 25 years lacrosse will be the third revenue generating sport - a major revenue producer.

Some tinkering with Title IX will probably be required in order to allow the 64 schools to compete in lacrosse on a varsity level, but once that happens all financial bets will be off - the sport will draw large crowds - see the Final Four now -and, more important, big TV ratings.

The ACC will get a huge TV benefit when that day comes. The future ACC Lacrosse Tournament will be the linchpin for the sport's growth.

As Dr. Gross indicated, this decision anticipated events occuring over the next fifty years.

Lacross has to be one of those events.

Syracuse
Rutgers
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Maryland
Virginia
Duke
North Carolina.

Those are the only BCS schools who play Div 1 LAX. Army, Navy, and Air Force are the only other FBS schools.

Just about everyone else plays on the non-funded club level.

Michigan is making the jump this season from Club Level to D1 and will be competing in the ECAC against Air Force, Denver, Bellarmine, Fairfield, Loyola, Hobart, and Ohio State. How they do will go a long way in determining if other universities will give it a try. The last FBS school to add LAX was Notre Dame in 1981.

LAX has a long way to go to overtake Baseball as the major Spring revenue sport. There are only about 60+ schools that play D1 LAX, while almost everyone has a baseball team.

I love lax having gone to prep school in Maryland where they are downright crazy about the game...

but y'all need to start up a baseball program again...

very competitive, especially ACC vs. SEC...

many schools in the South turn a profit on baseball...

I'm certain that the sport was considered to some extent when the University applied to the ACC, but at some point in the future lacrosse could become a very important financial dividend of this move.

I have little doubt that in the next 25 years lacrosse will be the third revenue generating sport - a major revenue producer.

Some tinkering with Title IX will probably be required in order to allow the 64 schools to compete in lacrosse on a varsity level, but once that happens all financial bets will be off - the sport will draw large crowds - see the Final Four now -and, more important, big TV ratings.

The ACC will get a huge TV benefit when that day comes. The future ACC Lacrosse Tournament will be the linchpin for the sport's growth.

As Dr. Gross indicated, this decision anticipated events occuring over the next fifty years.

Don't we have a LAX board?

I wouldn't worry about that, but it gtys that at least two games a year between the ACC teams and JHU will have 15k a season, as long as they don't move the games to NFL stadiums.

Exactly. You get it.

Hence the reference to the future - 25 years - and the tinkering of the Title IX problem.

Baseball will be dwarfed once the major schools figure out how to develope varsity programs.

If it were not for Title IX we would not be discussing this issue - it would be a fact now.

BTW - I have never heard that baseball is a collegiate revenue generator - that's a surprise.

The College World Series is BIG, especially amongst the Southern and Western schools. There are always SEC and ACC regular season and tournament games on TV somewhere. ESPN has the rights to the CWS games in Omaha.

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2011d1baseballbracketv2.pdf

The ACC, SEC, Big12, and Pac12 always place 6-7 teams in the tournament. This year the BE got 3 (St Johns, Seton Hall, and UConn)

They even have a selection show. :)

Baseball absolutely dwarfs lacrosse from an economic standpoint.

Am I the only one who thinks that college baseball is unwatchable?

The College World Series is BIG, especially amongst the Southern and Western schools. There are always SEC and ACC regular season and tournament games on TV somewhere. ESPN has the rights to the CWS games in Omaha.

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2011d1baseballbracketv2.pdf

The ACC, SEC, Big12, and Pac12 always place 6-7 teams in the tournament. This year the BE got 3 (St Johns, Seton Hall, and UConn)

They even have a selection show. :)
And a lot of colleges participate in track, swimming and gymnastic championships. I do not believe any generate revenue.

I understand that baseball is played. But I have never heard that it generates bona fide revenue.

Not that it really matters, but I personally do not know one person who has watched or attended a college baseball game.

I find it hard to believe that the sport supports itself.

Whatever it is, it certainly will not develope any further in the future.

That is not the case with lacrosse, which at some point will become huge economically, provided Title IX does not continue to thwart the growth.

OrangePA:

For a change you need to do a little research. (Greatly respect your opinions.). Check out my other school's baseball program. Carolina's stadium is amazing, the setting great, and the ticket not that easy. Definitely a money maker & the Heels are not alone.

That said agree lacrosse could explode even though I'm a baseball guy. (Bring it back SU!)

Admittedly, I have done no research on college baseball. I understand that a few programs are very dominant - Texas, Miami, FSU, ASU and apparntly NC and some others.

My point all along has been this - if it is unleashed, major college lacrosse, in terms of TV and attendance revenue, will dwarf all other college athletics, other than football and basketball.

Exactly. You get it.

Hence the reference to the future - 25 years - and the tinkering of the Title IX problem.

Baseball will be dwarfed once the major schools figure out how to develope varsity programs.

If it were not for Title IX we would not be discussing this issue - it would be a fact now.

BTW - I have never heard that baseball is a collegiate revenue generator - that's a surprise.

I'd like to "Tinker with the Title IX problem" :bang:

I'll give you and example.

BC wants to establish a varsity lacrosse program, but can only do it with a $35 million endowment.

$35 million.

That is the figure that will accomodate Title IX.