Future of College ball. | Syracusefan.com

Future of College ball.

Dang, what a scene!

"Haven't you ever considered taking something away from people that means so much to them? It's not a game! Football isn't just a game...It's one of those amazing things in life that can make you feel chit one moment...And then, like it's Christmas morning the next."

Amen!

Dang, what a scene!

"Haven't you ever considered taking something away from people that means so much to them? It's not a game! Football isn't just a game...It's one of those amazing things in life that can make you feel chit one moment...And then, like it's Christmas morning the next."

Amen!
I’d argue it may be the only thing that can give an adult the thrill of Christmas morning. I’m not talking living vicariously through kids but actually living it directly.

I’d argue it may be the only thing that can give an adult the thrill of Christmas morning. I’m not talking living vicariously through kids but actually living it directly.

Yeah. I'd also say that Thursday prior to The Dance smorgasbord tipping off having a similar affect, at least for me. Especially, when we were accustomed of 'Cuse being in it annually and solidly seeded.

Yeah. I'd also say that Thursday prior to The Dance smorgasbord tipping off having a similar affect, at least for me. Especially, when we were accustomed of 'Cuse being in it annually and solidly seeded.
Been so long I’ve forgotten what that was like.

The Big 10 and SEC break off from the NCAA to form their two super-conferences and find out that the college game isn't a bonanza in the big TV markets which prefer the NFL. The football factories miss the time when they could go 12-0 in a good year and 10-2 in a bad year because they weren't playing each other each week. The "left behind' schools stay behind in the NCAA and form a new Division 1 with conferences that make geographical sense and reignite traditional rivalries and draw together the smaller TV markets college ball has traditionally untied. The super conference teams eventually come back to the NCAA and ask to join the redone conferences and play their old rivals under NCAA rules. It will take about 10-15 years.

The Big 10 and SEC break off from the NCAA to form their two super-conferences and find out that the college game isn't a bonanza in the big TV markets which prefer the NFL. The football factories miss the time when they could go 12-0 in a good year and 10-2 in a bad year because they weren't playing each other each week. The "left behind' schools stay behind in the NCAA and form a new Division 1 with conferences that make geographical sense and reignite traditional rivalries and draw together the smaller TV markets college ball has traditionally untied. The super conference teams eventually come back to the NCAA and ask to join the redone conferences and play their old rivals under NCAA rules. It will take about 10-15 years.
1) To think if the Big 10 and SEC broke away it wouldn't be a TV bonanza couldn't be further from the truth. It will be a huge ratings success. And when the current TV deals are up, with all of the streaming platforms fighting for content, LIVE content that is DVR-proof, they will make a ton selling not just their "A" packages but their B, C, and D packages off.
2) I think "fans" think schools care if they go 12-0 vs 10-2...these schools truly only care about the money. Winning and losing are in the fan's minds; the ADs and Channeclors just want the fat checks coming in.

1) To think if the Big 10 and SEC broke away it wouldn't be a TV bonanza couldn't be further from the truth. It will be a huge ratings success. And when the current TV deals are up, with all of the streaming platforms fighting for content, LIVE content that is DVR-proof, they will make a ton selling not just their "A" packages but their B, C, and D packages off.
2) I think "fans" think schools care if they go 12-0 vs 10-2...these schools truly only care about the money. Winning and losing are in the fan's minds; the ADs and Channeclors just want the fat checks coming in.
Whether some people like it or not, within 3 or 4 years if they go to less the 65-70 teams 90 percent of the population will tune out of college sports all together.
There are too many other things to do and watch for the majority of the population.
Already college basketball ratings are falling and football will start going down the same road.

Poor records will hurt attendance and streaming subscriptions.

Also fans from other teams aren't buying a subscription to watch. I don't have Peacock and won't sign up to watch a game like Alabama vs Wisconsin. A playoff game? Sure. But a regular season game that likley means very little in the grand scheme of things? No way. With the traditional model people will tune in because it is free.

It is also easier to navigate back and forth between multiple games. If you have one game on Amazon, another on Peacock, another on ESPN+, another on Apple, and another on FOX it is a PIA to switch back and forth, assuming you even pay for a subscription to each.

The source of the money is the fans. They pay for tickets, concessions, parking, contributions to the school and to NIL funds. They sit thought he commercials on TV and they pay for the subscriptions to the steaming services. And not one of them asked for his.

The source of the money is the fans. They pay for tickets, concessions, parking, contributions to the school and to NIL funds. They sit thought he commercials on TV and they pay for the subscriptions to the steaming services. And not one of them asked for his.
The source of the money is TV contracts. If it wasn't, teams wouldn't change conferences. Texas and Oklahoma sell tickets no matter what conference they are in. They change conferences to get in the conferences with the better TV deals and a bigger slice of the pie

Whether some people like it or not, within 3 or 4 years if they go to less the 65-70 teams 90 percent of the population will tune out of college sports all together.
There are too many other things to do and watch for the majority of the population.
Already college basketball ratings are falling and football will start going down the same road.
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that 90% number, but that is not accurate by any means...lol. College football ratings are at an all time high and to think 90% will tune out over the big boy schools breaking away just isn't accurate. With all the conference shuffling we have now, ratings just go up each year.

The Big 10 and SEC feel if they break away and just play each other and have all marquee matchups on the schedule with no more cupcake games scheduled, more people will tune in, and ratings and revenue will increase. As well as a bigger TV deals on par with the NFL (which it will be).

With all of the streamers fighting for content and LIVE content, and ESPN DTC starting in the fall 2025 and having exclusive content on that platform, there will be a bidding frenzy for this stuff once contracts are up.

There is a reason Netflix paid $75 million for TWO NFL games on Christmas
There is a reason why Netflix gave WWE a 10 year deal worth $5 billion, with a Netflix option to re-up for 10 more at the same price
There is a reason why Amazon paid $100 million for a Black Friday game
There is a reason why Amazon paid $120 million for NFL playoff game
There is a reason why ROKU pays over $10 million a year for Sunday morning MLB games
There is a reason why Peacock paid WWE $1 billion a year for the network and PLE's
There is a reason why Amazon will pay $1.8 billion a year to the NBA for the "C" package

Streaming is the future and they all want in on the LIVE action/sports/DVR proof content . These conferences know it, they have their eyes on it, and they are all going there in the next contract because that is where the $$$$$ is.

Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that 90% number, but that is not accurate by any means...lol. College football ratings are at an all time high and to think 90% will tune out over the big boy schools breaking away just isn't accurate. With all the conference shuffling we have now, ratings just go up each year.

The Big 10 and SEC feel if they break away and just play each other and have all marquee matchups on the schedule with no more cupcake games scheduled, more people will tune in, and ratings and revenue will increase. As well as a bigger TV deals on par with the NFL (which it will be).

With all of the streamers fighting for content and LIVE content, and ESPN DTC starting in the fall 2025 and having exclusive content on that platform, there will be a bidding frenzy for this stuff once contracts are up.

There is a reason Netflix paid $75 million for TWO NFL games on Christmas
There is a reason why Netflix gave WWE a 10 year deal worth $5 billion, with a Netflix option to re-up for 10 more at the same price
There is a reason why Amazon paid $100 million for a Black Friday game
There is a reason why Amazon paid $120 million for NFL playoff game
There is a reason why ROKU pays over $10 million a year for Sunday morning MLB games
There is a reason why Peacock paid WWE $1 billion a year for the network and PLE's
There is a reason why Amazon will pay $1.8 billion a year to the NBA for the "C" package

Streaming is the future and they all want in on the LIVE action/sports/DVR proof content . These conferences know it, they have their eyes on it, and they are all going there in the next contract because that is where the $$$$$ is.

Those are all single entities. There are 10 in CFB. Big difference. SEC fans aren't going to pay a sub for whatever platform the B18 is on. Ratings are big because people currently have free access. Take away the free access and the sport becomes more regional and less national.

If Syracuse is out, I’m out. I couldn’t care less what Alabama or Michigan do. College football only holds my interest relative to my alma mater.
Yep, if we’re out there is a nice fly rod in some sporting goods store with my name on it. I’ll make the transition for a fall pastime.

The source of the money is TV contracts. If it wasn't, teams wouldn't change conferences. Texas and Oklahoma sell tickets no matter what conference they are in. They change conferences to get in the conferences with the better TV deals and a bigger slice of the pie
The source of the TV contracts are the fans watching. It they pervert the game too much, viewership will drop. It's entirely possible to fly too close to the sun.

And where does TV get the money from? Advertisers who make it from showing commercials to the fans who watch the broadcasts.

Those are all single entities. There are 10 in CFB. Big difference. SEC fans aren't going to pay a sub for whatever platform the B18 is on. Ratings are big because people currently have free access. Take away the free access and the sport becomes more regional and less national.
you don't think SEC fans will subscribe to a streamer to watch SEC games? Sorry I don't agree and I can't believe you believe that.

And you do realize "cable" isn't free.

The source of the TV contracts are the fans watching. It they pervert the game too much, viewership will drop. It's entirely possible to fly too close to the sun.
Cable is dying, the number of homes with cable drops by the month and it is dropping rapidly. The number of homes with streaming platforms is growing at a rapid rate.

It's jumping off the Titanic and onto a lifeboat by going to the streaming platforms. Why do you think the NFL/NBA/WWE have begun the process to transition their product there and will continue to do so. They know where the future is.

And where does TV get the money from? Advertisers who make it from showing commercials to the fans who watch the broadcasts.
You don't think there will be commercials on Netflix, Amazon, Apple...etc. Seriously? You know how much money those companies have and how many advertisers they have? I mean come on man!

The advertisers will follow the products, and because its DVR-proof Life Sports/Action they have already. Otherwise these major sports wouldn't be jumping and the streaming platforms couldn't afford them.

The world has changed, college football is gonna be next and follow suit!

you don't think SEC fans will subscribe to a streamer to watch SEC games? Sorry I don't agree and I can't believe you believe that.

And you do realize "cable" isn't free.

The games on cable are "free" because of bundles. If you go pure app you will lose a lot of eyeballs from fans that aren't fans of a particular conference. Which in turn means less money from advertisers.

For ACC, B18, B12, G6 fans who have cable they don't pay anything extra to watch SEC games. So in a way it is "free" for them to tune in. If SEC games are only on an Apple TV plugin (like MLS) for example, you will lose the majority of those non SEC fans who would normally tune in. They aren't paying $9.99/m to watch SEC games. Even more so during BBall season.

An App model maximizes profits from fans of the conference but it minimizes profits from non fans.

You don't think there will be commercials on Netflix, Amazon, Apple...etc. Seriously? You know how much money those companies have and how many advertisers they have? I mean come on man!

The advertisers will follow the products, and because its DVR-proof Life Sports/Action they have already. Otherwise these major sports wouldn't be jumping and the streaming platforms couldn't afford them.

The world has changed, college football is gonna be next and follow suit!

The money will still come form the fans and they are cutting themselves off from fans of the schools they leave behind and the ones that don't want to subscribe to multiple sources when they used to get all the games from one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom