Future of College ball. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Future of College ball.

The games on cable are "free" because of bundles. If you go pure app you will lose a lot of eyeballs from fans that aren't fans of a particular conference. Which in turn means less money from advertisers.

For ACC, B18, B12, G6 fans who have cable they don't pay anything extra to watch SEC games. So in a way it is "free" for them to tune in. If SEC games are only on an Apple TV plugin (like MLS) for example, you will lose the majority of those non SEC fans who would normally tune in. They aren't paying $9.99/m to watch SEC games. Even more so during BBall season.

An App model maximizes profits from fans of the conference but it minimizes profits from non fans.
Well it isn't hurting other sports and they are running towards the streamers and I think you are forgetting about the rise of sports betting in this country and how much that is a driving force in what people pay for and watch. And you will see these Streamers BUNDLE as well moving forward as well. Get (for example) Hulu/Peacock/ESPN DTC bundle for $50 bucks and such. More of that is coming. You already have the ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ bundle out there.

I mean, you don't have to see it my way; that's fine, but look at where the sports leagues are gong and who they are signing mega contracts with, look at the money being paid to them, and to think college sports isn't going to follow I just think is antiquated logic. Just look at the ESPN DTC product alone coming in 2025. Read up on it.

Your right, your non-SEC college football only fan may not pay for a streamer for SEC games and an SEC package. But if they go to (for example) Netflix and you have an NFL package exclusive to Netflix (it's actually coming), WWE, and all SEC sports ...hey, it's worth it to buy Netflix as I am in to 2 of those or all 3 of those, or maybe all3, and they keep adding more sports content. So I need to be with Netflix.

Or if it's Amazon with a Thursday Night NFL package, an NFL Playoff game, NBA games, and all SEC sports, guess what? People are going to sign up for Amazon as that is a good deal for a sports fan, SEC fan or not.

There is a bigger picture in play here which I think some of you may be missing with the streamers and the sports leagues to drive revenue so its win-win for both sides. And the proof is the contracts that have been given out and signed in the past 12 months alone.

But I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I will just bookmark this thread and we will re-visit in the future. ;)

Enjoy your Sunday.

Well it isn't hurting other sports and they are running towards the streamers and I think you are forgetting about the rise of sports betting in this country and how much that is a driving force in what people pay for and watch. And you will see these Streamers BUNDLE as well moving forward as well. Get (for example) Hulu/Peacock/ESPN DTC bundle for $50 bucks and such. More of that is coming. You already have the ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ bundle out there.

I mean, you don't have to see it my way; that's fine, but look at where the sports leagues are gong and who they are signing mega contracts with, look at the money being paid to them, and to think college sports isn't going to follow I just think is antiquated logic. Just look at the ESPN DTC product alone coming in 2025. Read up on it.

Your right, your non-SEC college football only fan may not pay for a streamer for SEC games and an SEC package. But if they go to (for example) Netflix and you have an NFL package exclusive to Netflix (it's actually coming), WWE, and all SEC sports ...hey, it's worth it to buy Netflix as I am in to 2 of those or all 3 of those, or maybe all3, and they keep adding more sports content. So I need to be with Netflix.

Or if it's Amazon with a Thursday Night NFL package, an NFL Playoff game, NBA games, and all SEC sports, guess what? People are going to sign up for Amazon as that is a good deal for a sports fan, SEC fan or not.

There is a bigger picture in play here which I think some of you may be missing with the streamers and the sports leagues to drive revenue so its win-win for both sides. And the proof is the contracts that have been given out and signed in the past 12 months alone.

But I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I will just bookmark this thread and we will re-visit in the future. ;)

Enjoy your Sunday.

If you are bundling everything together then it is the cable model just rebranded as streaming. An App vs a Cable Box is really the same thing to the consumer in that case.

BTW the bundling currently is from apps with the same ownership. Hulu/ESPN/Disney is all under one umbrella. You only get one sports platform, not many.

I believe the ESPN product will just be a "TV Guide" that will launch the separate Apps from it. Still harder than just hitting 2, 4, 7, etc on your remote to go directly to a game.

What are these sports that you speak of? Who is going mainly app outside of MLS? Having one off games is completely different than having it exclusively there.

If the SEC is not an add on within the App, then a Netflix cannot maximize profits from having SEC FB. There will be people who have Netflix for Emily in Paris who won't pay anything extra now that the SEC is on too. So there is zero additional revenue.

I don't disagree that "cable" will be gone. But Youtube, Hulu Live, etc are really Cable. It isn't direct to consumer. That is what I am saying is not a good idea for College sports.

Heck at this point in my life I am a casual SU BBall fan. If they went to a subscription based model, I would not pay. If there is a big game I will either go to a bar or the game itself. The rest I will watch condensed game replays. I think having plugins or direct access apps will lose casual fans of the teams, and keep out fans of the sport who are not fans of the conference.

You don't think there will be commercials on Netflix, Amazon, Apple...etc. Seriously? You know how much money those companies have and how many advertisers they have? I mean come on man!

The advertisers will follow the products, and because its DVR-proof Life Sports/Action they have already. Otherwise these major sports wouldn't be jumping and the streaming platforms couldn't afford them.

The world has changed, college football is gonna be next and follow suit!
I remember when the pitch for cable was no commercials, because you were paying for the content

If you are bundling everything together then it is the cable model just rebranded as streaming. An App vs a Cable Box is really the same thing to the consumer in that case.
Exactly, that's the kicker with all of this. We are going to end up back at square 1, just with a different-looking square. But that's where it's going.

Cable is dying. Just google "Cable TV Dying" and you will see thousands of articles like this that explains it very clearly

Heck at this point in my life I am a casual SU BBall fan. If they went to a subscription based model, I would not pay. If there is a big game I will either go to a bar or the game itself. The rest I will watch condensed game replays. I think having plugins or direct access apps will lose casual fans of the teams, and keep out fans of the sport who are not fans of the conference.
That's you, and I get that and you can do that if that makes you happy. But you don't speak for the millions...AND MILLIONS (Sorry Rock) of people who are paying for these streamers to watch content and for the streamers who are eating up the content and contracts when they come up, and are paying billions to have these games. That's where the games will be airing exclusively in the near future.

That's you, and I get that and you can do that if that makes you happy. But you don't speak for the millions...AND MILLIONS (Sorry Rock) of people who are paying for these streamers to watch content and for the streamers who are eating up the content and contracts when they come up, and are paying billions to have these games. That's where the games will be airing exclusively in the near future.

Again there is a difference between having SU BBall on Netflix (which I already pay for), and having SU BBall being a plugin (added cost) on Netflix (which I would not pay for). The former I can watch as it is "free" (no additional cost).

Enjoy your Sunday.
Come back in 5 years if there are only about 40 power teams and see how many people decide that the NFL is the only professional football they want to watch.

Come back in 5 years if there are only about 40 power teams and see how many people decide that the NFL is the only professional football they want to watch.
That's why I bookmarked this thread. We will see how history looks back on it!

Enjoy the rest of your day

That's why I bookmarked this thread. We will see how history looks back on it!

Enjoy the rest of your day
No offense intended but I’m guessing most of us won’t give a rats ass about this thread in 5 years though I really liked the sentiments of the initial post .

No offense intended but I’m guessing most of us won’t give a rats ass about this thread in 5 years though I really liked the sentiments of the initial post .
You mean you don't put winning syracusefan.com debates on your resume?

I can bump threads from 10 years ago that said college sports are dead.

Hell, 10 months ago before we got a valid coach and paid for a QB, the majority of posters on this board said college football was dead.

Now suddenly everyone watches for the release of the AP top 25 every week. Wild stuff, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom