Future recruits.. | Syracusefan.com

Future recruits..

callmened

Walk On
hey folks...its been a long time i have on this board. I took a hiatus from NCAA for a couple yrs once the big east re-aligned. I think im finally "over it" and can enjoy NCAA bball

I like this year's team. reminds me of the 91-92 team - in that its going to rely onthree pt shooting and a smaller lineup. We shall see. I like the senior backcourt, Lydon is a nice surprise and Malachi is fun to watch

Anyways, ive been off the recruiting trail for the future but im catching up. From what i understand for next yr: Gbinije and Cooney leave but Moyer (SF), Battle (SG) and maybe T. Thompson (PF) will be signed. And the 7-2 providence center will be eligible.

My question is who will play PG? Im starting to conclude that KJo isnt any good. Howard is a combo guard but how much playing time will he get this yr?

PG KJoseph/Howard
SG Richarson/Battle
SF Moyer/Lydon
PF Roberson/Thompson/Obokoh
C Chukwu/Coleman

hey folks...its been a long time i have on this board. I took a hiatus from NCAA for a couple yrs once the big east re-aligned. I think im finally "over it" and can enjoy NCAA bball

I like this year's team. reminds me of the 91-92 team - in that its going to rely onthree pt shooting and a smaller lineup. We shall see. I like the senior backcourt, Lydon is a nice surprise and Malachi is fun to watch

Anyways, ive been off the recruiting trail for the future but im catching up. From what i understand for next yr: Gbinije and Cooney leave but Moyer (SF), Battle (SG) and maybe T. Thompson (PF) will be signed. And the 7-2 providence center will be eligible.

My question is who will play PG? Im starting to conclude that KJo isnt any good. Howard is a combo guard but how much playing time will he get this yr?

PG KJoseph/Howard
SG Richarson/Battle
SF Moyer/Lydon
PF Roberson/Thompson/Obokoh
C Chukwu/Coleman
Battle will play pg.

bevosu said:
JB should send Battle tapes of Gbinije's last 4 games and tell him to try and play as much like that as possible.
You're going to like Battle. I mean "Like Like" Battle. :)
Can score from anywhere on the court like G. Great slasher and shooter. Great defender, can shut down the other team's best scorer. Might end up MCW caliber defender, might be better.

oh really? Battle is a PG? isnt he like 6-6? all i saw on highlight youtube videos was step back jumpers and athletic dunks. didnt know he was a passer

Battle/Howard
Richardson/Howard
Lydon/Moyer
Roberson/Moyer
Chukwu/Coleman
Dont give up on KJ. I like Moyer a lot but not convinced at all that Moyer will play more than KJ next year. Ie i see KJ and Howard getting a chance at backup guard next year just like this year. When that happens i think some of the time Mal will switch from guard to forward. If Mal is almost exclusively a frwd this year, i think it makes sense for him to play some forward next year. Is Moyer good enough to prevent that from happening? Not convinced...

JB should send Battle tapes of Gbinije's last 4 games and tell him to try and play as much like that as possible.

"All you have to do for me to love you is score 20 ppg while shooting over 55% from 2, 50% from 3, steal the ball 3 times a game and grab some assists. Just do that!" j/k i know what you mean. Gbinije should be in early player of the year contention imho. He's on a different level.

oh really? Battle is a PG? isnt he like 6-6? all i saw on highlight youtube videos was step back jumpers and athletic dunks. didnt know he was a passer
It remains a bone of contention. It has been pointed out that we won the recruiting Battle for Battle because JB indicated he would put the ball more in Battles hands and make him a lead guard. Other programs less so. I personally think he can play lead guard but not at all convinced he will play this role as effectively as G has so far. No worries if it doesnt work out quite as well, we still have KJ and FH as options too!
Edit and whatever position/role Battle ends up playing for us next year, i think hes gonna be REAL good...

Battle/Howard
Richardson/Howard
Lydon/Moyer
Roberson/Moyer
Chukwu/Coleman
This. Will be interesting to see what the deal is with Joseph after this year. Does he want more time? Or is he content with his role now? Too early to tell but he hasn't necessarily warranted a case for him to get more playing time. I agree with earlier posts. Except I do think Frank Howard maybe plays point over Battle. But Battle is far too good not to be on the court so if he's a capable PG, you have to start him. What's his handle like?

With Cooney and G leaving, we won't see any Guard next year get the PT those 2 have. There will be PT for 4 guards. If Kalebd Howard play well I suspect it will affect Moyer they most, since Malachi can slide to the 3

Also the length of that lineup is insanity. In 2013 we almost single handily got to the Final 4 because of the zone and how good MCW was at the top. I don't expect Battle or Malachi to be MCW, but their length combined plus Chukwu (who could be legendary in the middle) and Roberson/Lydon on the wings, just yikes. The Tylers might be a little slower than our other wing forwards in the past, but their length and rebounding makes up for it. We will be an absolute nightmare on D next year if everyone stays.

The funniest thing is I remember reading many people that were crapping their knickers about the thought of G playing pg. He's doing fine, and I'm sure Battle will also be fine at pg.
Yep i see pg by committee next year to some degree. Either way JB and Battle will be fine!!

Are KJo and Howard playing pure point guard right now because its best for this team, or more for next year?

I think having Gbinije at point is right. Hes a spot up shooter and on a good offensive team I don't think you need a pure point guard if they can hit a spot up 3. Gmac 2003 was a great example, but a 6'6 guy is a better one.
We are Spoiled to have such a good spot up three point shooter as a PG, and Malachi can shoot off the bounce that lets Gbinije play point and opens up the drive for Cooney and Gbinije.

If battle shoots better off the dribble then KJo Howard, then maybe he should play SG. Depends on Malachi as well. Also Howard is a pure point Pure,Pure point. Howard has potential to freeze time in the paint, thats something this team hasn't evolved yet.

Last edited:
Another assumption being made is that malachi is returningnext season. Dude is already 20 I think. If McCullough went pro after a so so freshman yr, why not malachi
Yeah. At our torrid pace this year, everyone gone! Will only offer schollies to 3 (Picachu, Moyer and Battle). Verbal commits will be a mess. :(
Let's play a little three ball!

when was the last time you measured silent G? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom