Future Scheduling | Syracusefan.com

Future Scheduling

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
So the schedule critics had me almost won over. Schedule to ensure a bowl bid seemed logical for a building program. But sitting in the Garden District this afternoon flips me back 180 degrees. Chances to play in iconic stadiums and experience the atmosphere of upper echelon college football, even if it means for a more difficult path, is such a wonderful opportunity for players AND the fans who can make these trips. If a September weekend in Louisiana costs me a holiday trip to the Quick Lane Bowl, I will deal with it. Schedule non conference to go no worse than 3-1, don't lose to the Middle Tennessee's of the world and continue to laugh at Rutgers.

So the schedule critics had me almost won over. Schedule to ensure a bowl bid seemed logical for a building program. But sitting in the Garden District this afternoon flips me back 180 degrees. Chances to play in iconic stadiums and experience the atmosphere of upper echelon college football, even if it means for a more difficult path, is such a wonderful opportunity for players AND the fans who can make these trips. If a September weekend in Louisiana costs me a holiday trip to the Quick Lane Bowl, I will deal with it. Schedule non conference to go no worse than 3-1, don't lose to the Middle Tennessee's of the world and continue to laugh at Rutgers.
I'd give this post a million likes if I was allowed!

its only an issue because we cant seem to get to 6.. if the LSU game was the difference between 8-9 wins we would all be for it every time. some day we have to get past that 4-5-6 win level and in the long run the recruting gains pay off if you just dont lose the MTSu type games.

Would help if we were scheduling the Texas, Tennessee, and maybe Arizona/cali's of the world... and not LSU, usc and so on.

Would help if we were scheduling the Texas, Tennessee, and maybe Arizona/cali's of the world... and not LSU, usc and so on.

With the long horizon on football scheduling, it's impossible to guarantee that Texas is 2016 Texas and not Texas Texas. Though I see where you're coming from.

Also, I think our giving away the USC game in 2012 might have been the difference between them having a winning record or not. They were pretty crappy that season.

With the long horizon on football scheduling, it's impossible to guarantee that Texas is 2016 Texas and not Texas Texas. Though I see where you're coming from.

Also, I think our giving away the USC game in 2012 might have been the difference between them having a winning record or not. They were pretty crappy that season.
Fair. Personally id love another home and home with LSU for selfish reasons. However, i think we're a year away from top 25 relevance. Our scheduling, or more so road scheduling, is brutal. Maybe it seems more brutal because of how thin we are at big positions right now.

I still think scheduling one P5 OOC team a season isn't unreasonable. Theoretically. This year the LSU game looked particularly bad because (a) we're not ready for that, and (b) we got hit with Miami as our Coastal opponent. Schedule would look a lot different if it was, say, UNC coming from that side of the conference.

As a fan I completely agree that I'd rather make a big road trip in September to play a cool OOC team. I do concede though that for recruiting purposes, and for practice reasons, making that crummy, unattractive bowl in late December is probably better for the program.

LSU has won 61% of their games over the past five years. They are more like Miami or Texas, big name, but not as dominant as they once were. Anything can happen over the course of five or six years. 2003 Syracuse looks very different from 1998 Syracuse.

I still think scheduling one P5 OOC team a season isn't unreasonable. Theoretically. This year the LSU game looked particularly bad because (a) we're not ready for that, and (b) we got hit with Miami as our Coastal opponent. Schedule would look a lot different if it was, say, UNC coming from that side of the conference.

As a fan I completely agree that I'd rather make a big road trip in September to play a cool OOC team. I do concede though that for recruiting purposes, and for practice reasons, making that crummy, unattractive bowl in late December is probably better for the program.

We have to schedule one P5 team. The question is how big is the P.

Our side of the ACC is the perfect storm right now, but these things are cyclical as we know.

Next year is @ND, no choice on that. Wisconsin home & home is coming up. @ Maryland return game is coming up. I'd encourage many to take that trip, last time we showed really well there as an away crowd.

Beyond that, I'm guessing someone like Rutgers or Indiana or more Maryland is what would be in the wheelhouse. Maybe even a Vandy or Purdue or some more Northwestern games. They may not all be sexy, but a few of them are fun places to visit (Chicago, Nashville).

Not sure about the recruiting aspect. Seems like a good portion of our recruiting class valued the effort Saturday night. And just like fans - a chance to play in an environment like Saturday against a high profile program is a pretty strong perk.

LSU has won 61% of their games over the past five years. They are more like Miami or Texas, big name, but not as dominant as they once were. Anything can happen over the course of five or six years. 2003 Syracuse looks very different from 1998 Syracuse.
They are 50-15 since 2011. I'd take that anyway you slice it

Reactions: CIL
We have to schedule one P5 team. The question is how big is the P.

Our side of the ACC is the perfect storm right now, but these things are cyclical as we know.

Next year is @ND, no choice on that. Wisconsin home & home is coming up. @ Maryland return game is coming up. I'd encourage many to take that trip, last time we showed really well there as an away crowd.

Beyond that, I'm guessing someone like Rutgers or Indiana or more Maryland is what would be in the wheelhouse. Maybe even a Vandy or Purdue or some more Northwestern games. They may not all be s e xy, but a few of them are fun places to visit (Chicago, Nashville).

Toss Illinois onto that P5 wheelhouse list you gave and it's perfect. Really am not thrilled about the Wisconsin home and home, those dudes win 10 games every single year, we are just trying to get to bowl games and break an embarrassing 16 year unranked streak