G at PG...did we see the future? | Syracusefan.com

G at PG...did we see the future?

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
G was playing PG the last 6 minutes with Roberson and BJ up front. G had a number of nice assists and he gives a great dimension being able to drive it to the rim. Will he be the PG net year? It gives us a unique look and a matchup nightmare for other teams.

G was playing PG the last 6 minutes with Roberson and BJ up front. G had a number of nice assists and he gives a great dimension being able to drive it to the rim. Will he be the PG net year? It gives us a unique look and a matchup nightmare for other teams.
He'll be in Europe

He played PG almost all game. And has brought the ball up a ton this season.

Name one other player from Syracuse that left early to go to Europe?

He has been in college 4 years. He is far better NBA prospect than Ennis, although he won't be a 1st round pick, might even be a FA.
He's the kind of guy smart NBA teams tuck away for a couple of years.

He has been in college 4 years. He is far better NBA prospect than Ennis, although he won't be a 1st round pick, might even be a FA.
A FA is worth how much $$? Come back for another year and that doesn't change. Plus, he has a chance to improve his game. A 80% free throw shooter and more pg play, plus a big run by Syracuse in the NCAA tournament and maybe moves up like Ennis did as the season goes on.

If G plays major minutes at PG next season and performs as he is doing it will increase his value and appeal to the NBA by a lot. 6'7 SF are considered undersized and a dime a dozen. A 6'7 PG is rare and highly valued. If he gets an agreement to play PG, he should come back. Last year I couldn't really see him as a PG. He has improved his handle, his passing is excellent, and his outside shot is much improved. He would be even more impressive defensively at the top of the zone.

G to me has been playing like Andre Miller. He is a bigger guard who can play SF and is good but not great with the ball in his hands.
I don't think G is leaving and hope he gets minutes at PG next year.

dasher said:
A FA is worth how much $$? Come back for another year and that doesn't change. Plus, he has a chance to improve his game. A 80% free throw shooter and more pg play, plus a big run by Syracuse in the NCAA tournament and maybe moves up like Ennis did as the season goes on.

It's 100k for one year he'd be losing for his future, it may not seem like a lot but him staying gives him a free year of grad school but it's not going to change his NBA draftability at all.

Hes not a NBA player imo. He has developed into a very good college player and it would be foolish for him not to come back and play. Hes too smart not to come back.

Madbiker said:
If G plays major minutes at PG next season and performs as he is doing it will increase his value and appeal to the NBA by a lot. 6'7 SF are considered undersized and a dime a dozen. A 6'7 PG is rare and highly valued.
Does anyone believe he is 6'7"?

Name one other player from Syracuse that left early to go to Europe?

Devendorf, Harris? I'm not suggesting that G will leave for Europe, BTW. I also know that there were multiple reasons why D & H left that year. Just saying players have left who not projected draft picks.

Devendorf, Harris? I'm not suggesting that G will leave for Europe, BTW. I also know that there were multiple reasons why D & H left that year. Just saying players have left who not projected draft picks.
Devo and Harris didn't leave on their own

He has functioned in that capacity, especially late game and when facing full or 3/4 court pressure, all year.

Devo and Harris didn't leave on their own

Yeah, I agree Dash. That's why I said "multiple reasons" for why they left. Europe was an incidental "benefit"

Hes not a NBA player imo. He has developed into a very good college player and it would be foolish for him not to come back and play. Hes too smart not to come back.
I agree with at least the last part of your statement. I say he's back too. He's blossomed this year, chance to develop more next and show scouts more of what he can do. Chance to play in post season on a likely very good team. Why leave early for Europe? Maybe he'll be considered "old" after another year for the NBA, but if he continues to shine, then maybe he can work on your 1st statement. Can I give you 3/4 of a "like?"

I agree with at least the last part of your statement. I say he's back too. He's blossomed this year, chance to develop more next and show scouts more of what he can do. Chance to play in post season on a likely very good team. Why leave early for Europe? Maybe he'll be considered "old" after another year for the NBA, but if he continues to shine, then maybe he can work on your 1st statement. Can I give you 3/4 of a "like?"

Hes never going to be a NBA player. Not happening imo. Getting drafted in the second round then getting released is his ceiling. But next year he will be one hellaova college player who can then go play over seas.

Hes never going to be a NBA player. Not happening imo. Getting drafted in the second round then getting released is his ceiling. But next year he will be one hellaova college player who can then go play over seas.
You many well be right. Just hoping that 2nd round selection (wishing for a late 1st if he excels next year) can earn him a spot somewhere in NBA, but more likely D league. But ya never know. A productive overseas career would definitely be in the cards though indeed.

Far better than Ennis ?Why is he not listed on the NBA draft boards ?

I think the notion that Gbinije goes to Europe is ridiculous. If he is not in a position to be drafted this year, where is that more likely to change, at Syracuse where scouts have easy and regular access to him, or in Europe? The way I see it either he'll go to the NBA or he'll come back. As for the point guard question, I think a lot of that depends on Malachi, Roberson, CMac and Kaleb. If Malachi and CMac emerge as the 2 best of those 4 next season I think G at the point is a foregone conclusion, and honestly to me that's the best case scenario. But if, for example, Kaleb and CMac emerged as the top 2 of those 4, then I think you have to keep G on the backline. I know this is highly speculative, but to me this is the best scenario for next year:

PG: Gbinije (Plays forward in the zone)
SG: Cooney
SF: Malachi (Plays guard in the zone)
PF: CMac
C: Bryant
6: Roberson
7: Coleman
8: Joseph
9: Diagne
10: Patterson
11: Howard
12: Lydon
13: Chino
BJ Johnson transfers. Not a knock on the kid, its just that I see it as being between him and Chino, and I think they have an equally poor chance of playing time while BJ has more talent and ability to make immediate impact. I think Chino probably leaves after next year as well, to be honest.

If G is never going to get drafted, then he might as well leave after this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom