Class of 2026 - G Jordan Smith Jr. (VA) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2026 G Jordan Smith Jr. (VA) Offered

I agree with some of the sentiments above that it will prove challenging for 'Cuse to ultimately win out for Jordan. That being said, as noted, Straughn was on hand for Smith at the FIBA World Cup in Turkey over the summer. SU has been in attendance for him on the EYBL circuit. Coach Red has deep, long-standing ties to Smith's HS, St. Paul VI, and we all know about his and Straughn's recruiting connections to Team Takeover. It will be tough to prevail, but I do think Syracuse has a shot. The staff is putting in the work.
Would they take Rippey and Smith? I see Smith as an off guard and Rippey as a point.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the sentiments above that it will prove challenging for 'Cuse to ultimately win out for Jordan. That being said, as noted, Straughn was on hand for Smith at the FIBA World Cup in Turkey over the summer. SU has been in attendance for him on the EYBL circuit. Coach Red has deep, long-standing ties to Smith's HS, St. Paul VI, and we all know about his and Straughn's recruiting connections to Team Takeover. It will be tough to prevail, but I do think Syracuse has a shot. The staff is putting in the work.
Not completely relevant to JS Jr. but your mention of "Straughn's recruiting connections to Team Takeover" reminded me of something I've been wanting to get perspective on for a while...

What exactly has Straughn's connection to TTO yielded us to date? Donnie is the obvious response but you may remember that Andrew Slater was very vocal at the time of his commitment (to us) that the only reason we got him was that his primary recruiter at 'Bama (Hodgson) had left to take the HC job at Arkansas State. We'll never know if this is true but coupling that with the strike out on Lewis, as well as not even being able to get a visit from Dickinson (we probably couldn't have afforded him anyway), has had me wondering for a while if the fan base has overestimated this connection as a means to getting top-level guys. Not trying to be contentious but have genuinely wondered for a while about the reality of this connect. Perhaps we need to start winning at high-level again for it to pay dividends but I wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Also, not trying to throw shade at Coach B, he's been a great hire IMHO...

Thoughts?

Are you suggesting the coaches shouldn't try?
Of course they should try. And yes, they are working their asses off. It’s just discouraging to see SU identify and get in on top recruits early, only to have the blue bloods swoop in. But I do give the coaches tons of credit.

Not completely relevant to JS Jr. but your mention of "Straughn's recruiting connections to Team Takeover" reminded me of something I've been wanting to get perspective on for a while...

What exactly has Straughn's connection to TTO yielded us to date? Donnie is the obvious response but you may remember that Andrew Slater was very vocal at the time of his commitment (to us) that the only reason we got him was that his primary recruiter at 'Bama (Hodgson) had left to take the HC job at Arkansas State. We'll never know if this is true but coupling that with the strike out on Lewis, as well as not even being able to get a visit from Dickinson (we probably couldn't have afforded him anyway), has had me wondering for a while if the fan base has overestimated this connection as a means to getting top-level guys. Not trying to be contentious but have genuinely wondered for a while about the reality of this connect. Perhaps we need to start winning at high-level again for it to pay dividends but I wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Thoughts?
Hey, totally fair points to consider. I will note that Acaden Lewis has played for Team Durant, not Team Takeover. And as far as I could tell, Straughn was important in landing Donnie, but I don't know the insider intel that you mentioned per Andrew Slater. What I do know is that Donnie initially didn't have Syracuse in his list cut to five or seven, etc., but then Autry taking over and Straughn coming in were big. But I get your points - I do think that Syracuse winning on the court and getting back to strong seeds in the NCAA Tournament can only help. Straughn was vital in landing Sadiq White, although I acknowledge he's not a TTO guy but from the Charlotte area.

Hey, totally fair points to consider. I will note that Acaden Lewis has played for Team Durant, not Team Takeover. And as far as I could tell, Straughn was important in landing Donnie, but I don't know the insider intel that you mentioned per Andrew Slater. What I do know is that Donnie initially didn't have Syracuse in his list cut to five or seven, etc., but then Autry taking over and Straughn coming in were big. But I get your points - I do think that Syracuse winning on the court and getting back to strong seeds in the NCAA Tournament can only help. Straughn was vital in landing Sadiq White, although I acknowledge he's not a TTO guy but from the Charlotte area.
Thanks for that run down. That puts a little proof into the pudding.

I think, when it comes to recruiting, JB retiring was addition by subtraction.

Very quickly after Autry took over, Starling and Westry, guys we couldn't get as seniors, transferred to Syracuse.

Similarly, we weren't in on Freeman, and the new regime closed him quickly.

With Sadiq White, we're on quite a recruiting roll as of late.

What is Red, the assistants or JB not being here any more, it is hard to tell.

Either way, we've done better in recruiting high school, and our NIL funds have surged as well since Red took over. I'm looking forward to a big step up in results this season and a return to at least the sweet sixteen at the end.

Thoughts?
No offense, this is completely irrelevant. You you have definitive insight information concerniing why he did not go to Alabama, I personallly do not care, he is here now, SW is committed and we are really working hard and attempting to create I trust an elite atmosphere, in a formidable basketball environment. Recruiting is definitely on the upswing and we are working hard. The past is irrelevant unless it affects our future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom