Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal

There is difference between being slow and not running hard, which he needs to fix especially in transition defense.

On offense if you look at AAU/Street ball stuff you can see how well he plays in transition offense, of course there is no defense played in those games.

I like the Ennis comparison but with the is the size of MCW

Factoring in more than just height, he’s bigger than MCW. MCW definitely more athletic though but Kadary won’t get pushed around the way MCW sometimes was.

Factoring in more than just height, he’s bigger than MCW. MCW definitely more athletic though but Kadary won’t get pushed around the way MCW sometimes was.
completely agreed!

We talking freshman or sophomore year MCW? Can't say I remember soph MCW getting pushed around too much.

We talking freshman or sophomore year MCW? Can't say I remember soph MCW getting pushed around too much.

Both pretty easily. Sophomore MCW didn't get like pushed to the ground or ragdolled or anything, but it was very common for him to get bumped and lose his handle as a result. That shouldn't ever be an issue for Kadary; he absorbs contact a lot easier than MCW did.

Both pretty easily. Sophomore MCW didn't get like pushed to the ground or ragdolled or anything, but it was very common for him to get bumped and lose his handle as a result. That shouldn't ever be an issue for Kadary; he absorbs contact a lot easier than MCW did.
It is also why he didn't finish around the rim a lot something I expect Kadary to excel at.

I have posted a least 3 of his full games. This is from December

Finished watching this one. That was the most fun I've had with any of the high school games so far (despite it being the worst video quality). The STM crowd was really into it and the game came down to the last shot. Not Kadary-related: STM's big man that's going to UNC-Charlotte was an absolute beast in this game. He was the best player on the floor by a comfy margin IMO (for that one game anyways) Name is Jared Garcia; he's listed as a SF on twenty-four seven but he looks like he'd likely be PF or C at UNC-Charlotte if I had to guess.

As for Kadary, I have him down for:

17 points
6 assists
6 rebounds
1 block
1 steal
2 turnovers
1 foul

5/15 shooting inside the arc
2/4 3 point shooting
1/4 free throw shooting

I'll get to the other two games on my queue later today or tomorrow, but some notes from this game (and in conjunction with the game against Mt. Zion):
  • As has been mentioned already, he plays at a slow, methodical pace ala Tyler Ennis. Unlike Ennis though, he was looking to push the ball up the floor to teammates whenever he grabbed rebounds/forced turnovers. That was one of the things that annoyed me the most about Ennis so I'm hoping Kadary continues to play like this in college.
  • Shot 3/7 from the field against Mt. Zion versus 7/19 in this one. As you can tell, he was far more aggressive in this game.
  • I have him down for 3/8 at the rim (including getting blocked at least 3 times) and 2/7 on mid-range jumpers (all of which were pull-ups off the dribble). Neither of those numbers are good. The jumpshot definitely looked better here than it did against Mt. Zion though. Definitely some stuff you'd like to see cleaned up in college though. He's got a bit of a wind-up as he tries to get his legs under him and once he's in the air, you never know where his legs are going to go. It'll be hard for him to be a consistent shooter this way; not impossible, but he's making it harder on himself. Edit: And in the very least, he showed far more confidence shooting the ball in this game than he did against Mt. Zion where he didn't want to shoot it even if he was wide open.
  • Through two games, he's now 4/13 on all jump shots (2/8 from mid-range, 2/5 from 3) and as is tradition, 4/8 from the free throw line. Tiny sample sizes but hoping to see those numbers move up.
  • Would like to see him box people out, but he does at least really try to elevate and grab rebounds and isn't afraid to mix it up the way Newton is.
  • His hands on defense, ball handling, and physical strength remain his three most impressive traits to me.
  • Kept it pretty simple passing wise in this game, but was still efficient in picking up assists. In general, it seems like Brewster is built around a lot of isolation, but he seems to keep his eyes up looking for teammates much better than anyone else on the team. Pretty much everybody else consistently has tunnel vision; he misses guys sometimes but pretty good in that regard.
Overall, I remain optimistic about him, much moreso than I am with Newton. Really seems like we might have something here.

Last edited:
Good observations Mel. I agree with all that you see.

The Syracuse 2020-21 team is going to have three really good shooters on it (I am expecting Joe to step up his numbers considerably with more experience and with better players to play with. He should not end up forcing a couple of jumpers every game like he did this past season, but just more experience and exposure to college level basketball will help him here. He also won't be one of only 3 guys who could score like he was at the start of last season.

Many teams are going to extend their defenses, play man and try and take the perimeter away from us. Having an accomplished slasher who can finish and pass in half court settings is going to be really helpful when we get defended this way. Kadary is just a good fit when paired with players like Buddy, Alan and Joe.

We have some players who can do with Woody does so his skills won't be needed as much immediately (but will be down the line).

Anyway, I agree. Kadary brings a skill set to the team we just don't have. There will probably be some games when he doesn't play a lot and isn't a big factor. Playing time will be hard to come by with Joe and Buddy eating up minutes. But I think JB will give him a chance to play every game and I think he will play well from the start, and for that reason, stay in the rotation.

I too look forward to seeing him make the transition to college ball. He will be entertaining to watch. I think SU fans are going to love him.

Finished watching this one. That was the most fun I've had with any of the high school games so far (despite it being the worst video quality). The STM crowd was really into it and the game came down to the last shot. Not Kadary-related: STM's big man that's going to UNC-Charlotte was an absolute beast in this game. He was the best player on the floor by a comfy margin IMO (for that one game anyways) Name is Jared Garcia; he's listed as a SF on twenty-four seven but he looks like he'd likely be PF or C at UNC-Charlotte if I had to guess.

As for Kadary, I have him down for:

17 points
6 assists
6 rebounds
1 block
1 steal
2 turnovers
1 foul

5/15 shooting inside the arc
2/4 3 point shooting
1/4 free throw shooting

I'll get to the other two games on my queue later today or tomorrow, but some notes from this game (and in conjunction with the game against Mt. Zion):
  • As has been mentioned already, he plays at a slow, methodical pace ala Tyler Ennis. Unlike Ennis though, he was looking to push the ball up the floor to teammates whenever he grabbed rebounds/forced turnovers. That was one of the things that annoyed me the most about Ennis so I'm hoping Kadary continues to play like this in college.
  • Shot 3/7 from the field against Mt. Zion versus 7/19 in this one. As you can tell, he was far more aggressive in this game.
  • I have him down for 3/8 at the rim (including getting blocked at least 3 times) and 2/7 on mid-range jumpers (all of which were pull-ups off the dribble). Neither of those numbers are good. The jumpshot definitely looked better here than it did against Mt. Zion though. Definitely some stuff you'd like to see cleaned up in college though. He's got a bit of a wind-up as he tries to get his legs under him and once he's in the air, you never know where his legs are going to go. It'll be hard for him to be a consistent shooter this way; not impossible, but he's making it harder on himself. Edit: And in the very least, he showed far more confidence shooting the ball in this game than he did against Mt. Zion where he didn't want to shoot it even if he was wide open.
  • Through two games, he's now 4/13 on all jump shots (2/8 from mid-range, 2/5 from 3) and as is tradition, 4/8 from the free throw line. Tiny sample sizes but hoping to see those numbers move up.
  • Would like to see him box people out, but he does at least really try to elevate and grab rebounds and isn't afraid to mix it up the way Newton is.
  • His hands on defense, ball handling, and physical strength remain his three most impressive traits to me.
  • Kept it pretty simple passing wise in this game, but was still efficient in picking up assists. In general, it seems like Brewster is built around a lot of isolation, but he seems to keep his eyes up looking for teammates much better than anyone else on the team. Pretty much everybody else consistently has tunnel vision; he misses guys sometimes but pretty good in that regard.
Overall, I remain optimistic about him, much moreso than I am with Newton. Really seems like we might have something here.
In an interview he stated he was trying to fit in with the team early on, but as the season went on he realized they wanted him to be more aggressive and he felt more comfortable attacking.

If you liked this one you will LOVE the next one...

Good observations Mel. I agree with all that you see.

The Syracuse 2020-21 team is going to have three really good shooters on it (I am expecting Joe to step up his numbers considerably with more experience and with better players to play with. He should not end up forcing a couple of jumpers every game like he did this past season, but just more experience and exposure to college level basketball will help him here. He also won't be one of only 3 guys who could score like he was at the start of last season.

Many teams are going to extend their defenses, play man and try and take the perimeter away from us. Having an accomplished slasher who can finish and pass in half court settings is going to be really helpful when we get defended this way. Kadary is just a good fit when paired with players like Buddy, Alan and Joe.

We have some players who can do with Woody does so his skills won't be needed as much immediately (but will be down the line).

Anyway, I agree. Kadary brings a skill set to the team we just don't have. There will probably be some games when he doesn't play a lot and isn't a big factor. Playing time will be hard to come by with Joe and Buddy eating up minutes. But I think JB will give him a chance to play every game and I think he will play well from the start, and for that reason, stay in the rotation.

I too look forward to seeing him make the transition to college ball. He will be entertaining to watch. I think SU fans are going to love him.
That bold sentence is the most important in my eyes. He will be the only player capable of consistently beating a man off the dribble. If he makes smart choices when he gets inside, it will be very hard to take him off the court. If he turns the ball over, or (a-la Jalen Carey) gets blocked every single time, then he'll find his butt next to JB on the bench.

If he stays composed, JB will need to find a way to get him consistently in the rotation. Once again, your a million percent correct....he's the only one with that skill set.

Yeah slower than both by quite a big margin. I wouldn't consider Girard slow at all. When he had the ball he was always pushing it up the court, and getting us into transition. I dont think either guard had trouble getting back on D.

With Kadary it will be like it was with Edelin or Ennis. There's not going to be any transition, no pushing the ball up the court fast. He's going to be slow and methodical. But just like both of those guys he has the potential to be elite in the half court (which is more important). As long as he can get back on D I think he will play. He should be good in the zone, a good reliable ball handler, an excellent passer, excellent finishing around the rim, and yes, I think he will be able to shoot too. The real question is if he can get from end to end to fast enough to keep up with the college game (which is a problem lots of freshman have to deal with).

He is kind of like a Kyle Anderson to an extent. I think he is faster than Kyle but his game isn't. His size and strength paired with handle I think can overcome being a guy who operates at a slower pace.

The other side of this is whether he has another gear he can jump into when the competition level gets higher. I don't want to say he seems "bored" but he certainly doesn't express himself as though he has been challenged even when his numbers reflect he may have been. We had questions about McCullough in this aspect and he squashed those before his injury.

I mean...
I don't know who they are playing, but the kid he beats looks woefully over matched. Even he knows it (good on him) and that is why he is calling for the ball. Call me unexcited by that video.

I don't know who they are playing, but the kid he beats looks woefully over matched. Even he knows it (good on him) and that is why he is calling for the ball. Call me unexcited by that video.

There are more than a handful of highlights of him making his defender look silly so if this was a one off I would agree but it's not. His ability to beat his man one on one is my favorite part of his game.

Position aside one of the biggest differences compared to Jackson is that ability. Jackson was a freak athletically but his game is missing things Kadary has. Also Griffin gives you more at SF than Jackson as well.

There are more than a handful of highlights of him making his defender look silly so if this was a one off I would agree but it's not. His ability to beat his man one on one is my favorite part of his game.

Best of all, he is extremely adept at dishing the ball off of those slick penetrations. So if the defense adjusts to cut him off, he's going to get the ball to the likes of Sidibe and Guerrier on the baseline for some easy looks.

Agree with Tomcat above, that Kadary brings a dimension that last year's team lacked in that regard.

Kadary's skill set will be play up at the college level relative to what he was able to show at Brewster, IMO. Too many D-1 players at Brewster trying to show what they have. He will benefit from a systematic offense with everyone on the same page.

Kadary's ability to create separation and get to to rim under control is elite at the prep level. If that skill set translates to playing against ACC level defenders, he is going to see significant time. And some of that will be because he is going to make our shooters much more difficult to defend in the half court.

Best of all, he is extremely adept at dishing the ball off of those slick penetrations. So if the defense adjusts to cut him off, he's going to get the ball to the likes of Sidibe and Guerrier on the baseline for some easy looks.

Agree with Tomcat above, that Kadary brings a dimension that last year's team lacked in that regard.

I think in fairness we have been so snakebit by kids looking like world beaters to only struggle mightily when they get on campus. This is why though looking at the intangibles that go with are important. Kadary plays like nothing phases this kid. No drop in confidence, no problem taking a shot or attacking off the bounce frequently.

I know some have questions on Woody but I see that aggrssive, fearless nature in both of them and think this could be a small but mighty class when all is said and done.

I think in fairness we have been so snakebit by kids looking like world beaters to only struggle mightily when they get on campus. This is why though looking at the intangibles that go with are important. Kadary plays like nothing phases this kid. No drop in confidence, no problem taking a shot or attacking off the bounce frequently.

I know some have questions on Woody but I see that aggrssive, fearless nature in both of them and think this could be a small but mighty class when all is said and done.

I think that the class of 2019 and the class of 2020 both have really replenished the program with four year program guy talent. Need to add a superior talent or two to the mix -- but the foundation has been established.

That team ended up winning the game in overtime to win the regional championship. Brewster was definitely more athletic but that team is really good. They went 2-1 against Brewster this year and if you add up all the scores from the 3 games, Brewster won by 1 point.

Edit: And the player guarding him was arguably their best player

Last edited:
I don't expect to change your mind, but that was a good example of his skill set. In that one small clip, he faced up his defender, moved him off the line twice with jab steps to a crossover dribble, a second defender tried to reach in and he immediately did the spin move and finished softly with a bank shot.
We don't have a lot of guys currently who could that against air.

He is kind of like a Kyle Anderson to an extent. I think he is faster than Kyle but his game isn't. His size and strength paired with handle I think can overcome being a guy who operates at a slower pace.

The other side of this is whether he has another gear he can jump into when the competition level gets higher. I don't want to say he seems "bored" but he certainly doesn't express himself as though he has been challenged even when his numbers reflect he may have been. We had questions about McCullough in this aspect and he squashed those before his injury.

I think you make a really good point about wondering if he has another gear. I have wondered that myself.

I think most people who follow recruiting know that Brewster is good, but maybe not everyone realizes how good they are. Their starting line up is going to Syracuse, Kentucky, Miami, Boston College, and Minnesota, and they've got a kid coming of the bench going to Maryland (a top 25 school recruiting a kid that can't even crack his high school starting line up, crazy!) I expect all of them to be major contributors to their teams before long too.

So you've got this situation where Brewster beats most of the teams they play by 50 points or so, and it feels like once the game is out of reach their various stars just kind of take turns putting the ball in the hoop.

Even against Woody's team, who is a good team, and who Brewster only beat by 8 or something, the game was never in question. Richmond scored twice early going to the basket, and it looked effortless. Then they never went back to him again until late in the second half. They didn't need to, they were already up by 20. He sat long stretches too so some of their talented bench could play. This was common.

But at the end of the year when they played teams on their level, they stopped randomly letting all their players have a moment in the sun, and it seemed pretty clear that Richmond was "the guy" on their team. Even over Clark who is a McDonald's All American.

I think you make a really good point about wondering if he has another gear. I have wondered that myself.

I think most people who follow recruiting know that Brewster is good, but maybe not everyone realizes how good they are. Their starting line up is going to Syracuse, Kentucky, Miami, Boston College, and Minnesota, and they've got a kid coming of the bench going to Maryland (a top 25 school recruiting a kid that can't even crack his high school starting line up, crazy!) I expect all of them to be major contributors to their teams before long too.

So you've got this situation where Brewster beats most of the teams they play by 50 points or so, and it feels like once the game is out of reach their various stars just kind of take turns putting the ball in the hoop.

Even against Woody's team, who is a good team, and who Brewster only beat by 8 or something, the game was never in question. Richmond scored twice early going to the basket, and it looked effortless. Then they never went back to him again until late in the second half. They didn't need to, they were already up by 20. He sat long stretches too so some of their talented bench could play. This was common.

But at the end of the year when they played teams on their level, they stopped randomly letting all their players have a moment in the sun, and it seemed pretty clear that Richmond was "the guy" on their team. Even over Clark who is a McDonald's All American.

Yeah, I was going to make this point but want to watch the semi-final first. But having watched three of their games now, Kadary seems to be Brewster's best player (at least against high school competition) despite Clarke being a top 5-10 recruit and projected top 10 pick in next year's NBA draft.

Perhaps the gap between Clarke and Kadary's athleticism will mean more against college athletes than it does right now, but Kadary just brings more to the table against their current level of competition than Clarke does.

Good observations, thanks for the write up Melancer46

I think it will be obvious when Kadary final plays at this level that his skill set is something we have not had in awhile. To my eye, there is no doubt will be play PG here. I also think that his game will translate much better at the college level than it does at Brewster.
I’m very bullish on him being able to contribute as a freshman and think he’ll split time with Girard at PG, with Girard moving to SG when Buddy goes to the bench. But then again, I thought Carey would be an instant impact freshman, but that Girard wouldn’t play much as a freshman, so who knows with these kids.

Last edited: