Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal

Fair was rated low because he missed his junior year to knee surgery.

And then he had a terrific senior year, and was key part of a powerhouse Brewster program. Despite that, he didn't rise in the ratings beyond the 70s.

He was a much better prospect than that, and proved it from Day 1, leading up to an all-american senior campaign.

And then he had a terrific senior year, and was key part of a powerhouse Brewster program. Despite that, he didn't rise in the ratings beyond the 70s.

He was a much better prospect than that, and proved it from Day 1, leading up to an all-american senior campaign.
He was top-80 after missing a season due to ACL surgery. That's still exceptionally highly ranked.

It's more fun to complain about the systemic bias against Syracuse recruits instead. That can be measured by only counting guys who had careers better than their rankings as proof that SU recruits are underranked.

He was top-80 after missing a season due to ACL surgery. That's still exceptionally highly ranked.

It's more fun to complain about the systemic bias against Syracuse recruits instead. That can be measured by only counting guys who had careers better than their rankings as proof that SU recruits are underranked.

"Exceptionally highly ranked" doesn't necessarily mean rated correctly.

CJ was rated in the 30s before he got injured -- but didn't rise in the ratings despite being a top performer his senior campaign on a nationally ranked Brewster team.

Lydon was similarly underrated at New Brighton, despite performing impressively on a loaded junior USA basketball team prior to his senior year. He ended up being a key cog on a final four squad / an eventual first round pick.

Kadary is curiously rated in the same range, again at Brewster. See a pattern?

I don't think we can chalk Lydon's / Kadary's ratings up to CJ's injury.

Ratings aren’t everything. Meaning, a lot of players have found a fit in style of play, coaching, and team mates that have allowed them to excel at Syracuse beyond what they had done previously. The opposite can also be true where due to those same factors, players can underperform. I think we’ve seen quite a few examples of players going from “good (not elite) prospect” to NBA draft pick (sometimes first round) at Syracuse. It doesn’t always mean they were ranked wrongly going into college.

Ratings aren’t everything. Meaning, a lot of players have found a fit in style of play, coaching, and team mates that have allowed them to excel at Syracuse beyond what they had done previously. The opposite can also be true where due to those same factors, players can underperform. I think we’ve seen quite a few examples of players going from “good (not elite) prospect” to NBA draft pick (sometimes first round) at Syracuse. It doesn’t always mean they were ranked wrongly going into college.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. The ratings aren't just about projecting potential for the NBA draft, [or at least, they shouldn't be] they are a system for predicting the impact players will have at the college level. So when guys are rated low and far outperform their rating, or conversely are ranked highly and underachieve -- yeah, they were ranked wrongly.

Which is why "ratings aren't everything."

Last edited:
UConn really hyping up Jackson - one and done, possibly lottery pick, etc...

Will be very interesting to follow these 2

I could see that happening due to athleticism and his defensive potential, but he is going to struggle mightily in the half court unless they have shooting around him.

I could see that happening due to athleticism and his defensive potential, but he is going to struggle mightily in the half court unless they have shooting around him.
I like Jackson, but he is not a point guard so he has to be able to shoot the ball at a much higher level than I have seen him do.

Also his left is nowhere near good enough to beat good defenders of the dribble.

His is a tier 1 athlete and that can't be taught but he has a lot of development to do as a basketball player.

Any rankings outside of the top-10 or 20 (at that's probably being generous) are pretty close in ability and splitting hairs. I don't think there's significant difference between being ranked 50 or 100 to worry about and probably subject to gradations that aren't really perceptible to anyone in the same way. Different talent pools, ways to measure potential, and level of competition are all squishy. Ranking guys by tiers (broken into current value and potential value) would be a better system, but a lot of people like individual numbers to argue over, so here we are.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. The ratings aren't just about projecting potential for the NBA draft, [or at least, they shouldn't be] they are a system for predicting the impact players will have at the college level. So when guys are rated low and far outperform their rating, or conversely are ranked highly and underachieve -- yeah, they were ranked wrongly.

Which is why "ratings aren't everything."

I disagree. Some players can wind up in round peg, square hole situations depending on where they choose to go to college and how the situation develops there for them. I'm also not saying the ratings are always wrong or meaningless just that there is a lot that can happen between a kid getting a HS rating and his ultimate final tally of college career. Heck, just the mental and physical maturation that happens in that timespan is a massive factor.

ESPN jumping Jackson immensely in their rankings has Boneyarders shaky in their pants. Mind you there is nothing new to promote this change but let them go crazy. Big time Athlete who can't shoot. Would have fit better here given shooters. That said in terms of needs program wise, Kadary is more valuable.

ESPN jumping Jackson immensely in their rankings has Boneyarders shaky in their pants. Mind you there is nothing new to promote this change but let them go crazy. Big time Athlete who can't shoot. Would have fit better here given shooters. That said in terms of needs program wise, Kadary is more valuable.

Did I miss news of Jackson blowing up at some tournament or something of that nature? When I was looking at the top 100 list, I had honestly thought they had taken Jackson completely off of it because I did not see him listed at first...only to find out they actually bumped him up that many spots. Sort of crazy to me TBH. I am not big on these rankings of guys unless they are top 10-15...those are usually the most consistent rankings and indicator of guys that will be instant impact in college. Shocked Richmond is still listed that low however, especially after a very successful SR yr in which he stood out at a couple of bigger tournament's. Still think he ends up the much better college player and fit here.

Last edited:
Did I miss news of Jackson blowing up at some tournament or something of that nature? When I was looking at the top 100 list, I had honestly thought they taken Jackson completely of it because I did not see him listed at first...only to find out they bumped him that many spots. Sort of crazy to me TBH. I am not big on these rankings of guys unless they are top 10-15...those are usually the most consistent rankings and indicator of guys that will be instant impact in college. Shocked Richmond is still listed that low however, especially after a very successful SR yr in which he stood out at a couple of bigger tournament's. Still think he ends up the much better college player and fit here.
Spot on. Also strange because the last tournament Brewster played very well and against top competition all year. Andre had great mixtapes all year long playing crap competition. Not taking anything away from AJ because hes super talented and I wanted him at cuse but I think this one we will look back on and be glad it worked out the way it did. Love Kadarys game.

Spot on. Also strange because the last tournament Brewster played very well and against top competition all year. Andre had great mixtapes all year long playing crap competition. Not taking anything away from AJ because hes super talented and I wanted him at cuse but I think this one we will look back on and be glad it worked out the way it did. Love Kadarys game.
Curious now what the other services will have both in their final rankings. Seems pretty clear to most (not just orange colored glasses) that Richmond had a really good year overall, and should be ranked much higher. Kind of getting the vibe that ESPN after the first 20 or so guys, are all over the map compared to other recruiting service's.

Jackson also made a point to say he wanted to come in right away and play and not have to worry about transferring.

When he committed to UConn, the season hadn’t even started yet. So we had a feeling Eli would be good and get all the minutes at the 3, but no one knew hed be leaving. We had Joe, Buddy, Jalen and a top 75 kid in Goodine who were all under class men. To anyone think Andre looked at that roster and thought “I’ll get plenty of PT” is lying.

When he committed to UConn, at the 1-3s they had:

-a PG transfer from Howard
-2 freshman ranked right around were Goodine was
-and Tyler Polley, who up until that point had done nothing of note at the college level.
-They had Christian Vital, who was getting a load of minutes but was also a senior and would be gone. They also had Gilbert, but as strictly a PG he wouldn’t effect Andre that much.

So if you’re Andre when you commit in October, looking ahead to 2020:

- UConn has 3 PGs possibly on the roster (Gilbert, Evans, Gaffney) but that’s fine, it’s unlikely due to size those 3 play together very often
- A departing Vital, who would leave over 30mpg+ on the table
- Bouknight, who is ranked near Jackson as a sophomore
- Tyler Polley, who averaged 8ppg and 2rpg as a 6’9” sophomore

- Syracuse meanwhile has Eli coming back, locked into the 3 and most of the minutes
- A combination of Girard, Buddy, Goodine, Carey in the back court battling for time

Hurley promised Jackson a starting spot, that’s what he needed to hear

But ironically,

- Bouknight ends up looking really, really good; will be UConns best player and on the court a lot
- Polley really emerges before tearing his ACL and ending his season, but he’ll be back and an upperclassman
- UConn adds Tyrese Martin; a 6’6 205 kid who Hurley recruited at URI and averaged 12/7 as a sophomore. They did this with Jackson already in the fold

So assuming Bouknight is locked into the 2G for 30+ mpg, Jackson will be battling for minutes at the 3/4 with Polley and Martin for 2 more years! If Akok wasnt hurt you gotta assume he’d be slotted in at the 4. I suppose Bouknight could leave after this year.

Meanwhile Syracuse loses Goodine, Carey and Hughes. With 38mpg available at the 3 (then we got Griffin of course).

gotta wonder if Jackson knew how 2019 would unfold if he still picks UConn. Cole and Bouknight need the ball; Gaffney is a PG. if he came here you’d think he’d have tge ball A LOT with Joe/Buddy spotting up on the wings. Now he’s at a place where he’ll be the 3rd ball handling option at best and he’ll be battling for playing time with 2 upperclassmen who are coming off productive seasons.

oh, and Danny hurley has literally never put a player in the NBA

Jackson also made a point to say he wanted to come in right away and play and not have to worry about transferring.

When he committed to UConn, the season hadn’t even started yet. So we had a feeling Eli would be good and get all the minutes at the 3, but no one knew hed be leaving. We had Joe, Buddy, Jalen and a top 75 kid in Goodine who were all under class men. To anyone think Andre looked at that roster and thought “I’ll get plenty of PT” is lying.

-and Tyler Polley, who up until that point had done nothing of note at the college level.
-They had Christian Vital, who was getting a load of minutes but was also a senior and would be gone. They also had Gilbert, but as strictly a PG he wouldn’t effect Andre that much.

- UConn has 3 PGs possibly on the roster (Gilbert, Evans, Gaffney) but that’s fine, it’s unlikely due to size those 3 play together very often

- Syracuse meanwhile has Eli coming back, locked into the 3 and most of the minutes
- A combination of Girard, Buddy, Goodine, Carey in the back court battling for time

But ironically,

- Bouknight ends up looking really, really good; will be UConns best player and on the court a lot
- Polley really emerges before tearing his ACL and ending his season, but he’ll be back and an upperclassman
- UConn adds Tyrese Martin; a 6’6 205 kid who Hurley recruited at URI and averaged 12/7 as a sophomore. They did this with Jackson already in the fold

So assuming Bouknight is locked into the 2G for 30+ mpg, Jackson will be battling for minutes at the 3/4 with Polley and Martin for 2 more years! If Akok wasnt hurt you gotta assume he’d be slotted in at the 4. I suppose Bouknight could leave after this year.

Meanwhile Syracuse loses Goodine, Carey and Hughes. With 38mpg available at the 3 (then we got Griffin of course).

gotta wonder if Jackson knew how 2019 would unfold if he still picks UConn. Cole and Bouknight need the ball; Gaffney is a PG. if he came here you’d think he’d have tge ball A LOT with Joe/Buddy spotting up on the wings. Now he’s at a place where he’ll be the 3rd ball handling option at best and he’ll be battling for playing time with 2 upperclassmen who are coming off productive seasons.

I think there was some mention of Yukon possibly recruiting Jackson's lil brother eventually as well...which could of helped their cause. :rolleyes:

But ironically,

A+ post dubs. Nicely put!

Did I miss news of Jackson blowing up at some tournament or something of that nature? When I was looking at the top 100 list, I had honestly thought they had taken Jackson completely off of it because I did not see him listed at first...only to find out they actually bumped him up that many spots. Sort of crazy to me TBH. I am not big on these rankings of guys unless they are top 10-15...those are usually the most consistent rankings and indicator of guys that will be instant impact in college. Shocked Richmond is still listed that low however, especially after a very successful SR yr in which he stood out at a couple of bigger tournament's. Still think he ends up the much better college player and fit here.
Agree! Lost pretty much all faith in those “rankings” after Matt Moyer. There were also some “experts” that said he should have been even higher!

I recalled wanted Andre Jackson but I think if we had gotten him we don't get Kidary or Griffin potentially so this route is actually better.

I still really wish we had gotten Jackson, but I would have wanted him in place of Newton, not Kadary/Griffin. If the debate was between Jackson and Kadary/Griffin, I think we came out on the right side of it (at least for what we presently need).

I still really wish we had gotten Jackson, but I would have wanted him in place of Newton, not Kadary/Griffin. If the debate was between Jackson and Kadary/Griffin, I think we came out on the right side of it (at least for what we presently need).
I prefer Kadary vs Jackson. I think he fits what we need more. If AJ can figure out how to shoot, he will be really good college player. But, who knows if he can get there. There was a clip of him coming off of a baseline cut and him catching a pass, pivoting and then going up with a jumpshot. It was in slow motion, it was beautiful. I remember thinking, and possibly posting something to the effect of "WOW, this kid has put in a ton of work. The form looked really good. Then more videos came out and he was back to his weird elbow thing and I couldn't believe it. Anyway, he has a lot of muscle memory to undo before he can become a decent shooter. Kadary isn't a great shooter, but he is closer than AJ, in my opinion and he can function in the half court because he can break down his man off the dribble and either finish or pass.