Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

What if the coaches don't want that player? Or, certainly don't want that player to get whatever money the donor is offering because it will upset other players on the team? Making it difficult to have team unity or keeping other players next year?
If the coaches don’t want that player then he’s not coming here. Just seems a bit controlling to be telling donors how to spend their own money.

I can answer that for you. Simple answer is they can’t. Coaches and athletic administrators cannot donate to collectives but can participate in fundraising activities.
So by keeping JB on the payroll we’re preventing one of our biggest potential donors from contributing NIL. Awesome.

Concerning the university's involvement with NIL, it's been widely assumed here that Red is the gatekeeper. That is, he'd be the one to direct the NIL groups to blow the account for a player, or not.

It seems like that's probably how it works. If so, Red would be the one doing the ROI analysis.
If Red is the gatekeeper then who is the key master?

From what I have been told, there was a donor who wanted to direct his money to who he wanted. Not who the coaches wanted. Of course Red should be doing the ROI.
Yeah, I kind of get that though. If I was rolling in cash and could pay for a player or two, I'd want input rather than just donating it without any involvement. That said, I know that would complicate things for the coaching staff.

Yeah, I kind of get that though. If I was rolling in cash and could pay for a player or two, I'd want input rather than just donating it without any involvement. That said, I know that would complicate things for the coaching staff.
Billionaire Niastri:

Hi, Mr. Cooper Flagg? I'd really like you to be the face of the Niastri Foundation... It's worth $5 million a year. Yes, you say? Let me introduce you to a man named Red Autry. Did I mention the promos are only filmed in Syracuse?

The problems arise only when a guy thinks his mere $500k annual contribution let's him pick the players.

Just launder it
breaking bad flynn GIF by Vulture.com

Billionaire Niastri:

Hi, Mr. Cooper Flagg? I'd really like you to be the face of the Niastri Foundation... It's worth $5 million a year. Yes, you say? Let me introduce you to a man named Red Autry. Did I mention the promos are only filmed in Syracuse?

The problems arise only when a guy thinks his mere $500k annual contribution let's him pick the players.
Unless I say I'm willing to give Judah a million and Red doesn't want him.

Billionaire Niastri:

A “mere” 500k per year? Not saying I would do it because the staff evaluates talent far better than me, but given recent results, I don’t take issue with anyone donating 500k per year making sure the money isnt lit on fire by being given to Benny or an underwhelming transfer just to miss the tournament for the 4th straight year.

Now if they’re going rogue and trying to recruit players against Red’s wishes that’s unacceptable. But wanting names run by you before committing your money isn’t as bad as it’s made seem. Once the program starts winning big then they will probably trust the process more.

If the coaches don’t want that player then he’s not coming here. Just seems a bit controlling to be telling donors how to spend their own money.
Of course it is controlling. And it should be. They run the program. Not some donor. If they don't want to follow the program, they can spend their money some place else. The coaches know where they want the money spent. Not some donor. When I send money to St Judes, I don't tell their researchers what experiments the money should be spent on. Or anything else I send money to.

A “mere” 500k per year? Not saying I would do it because the staff evaluates talent far better than me, but given recent results, I don’t take issue with anyone donating 500k per year making sure the money isnt lit on fire by being given to Benny or an underwhelming transfer just to miss the tournament for the 4th straight year.

Now if they’re going rogue and trying to recruit players against Red’s wishes that’s unacceptable. But wanting names run by you before committing your money isn’t as bad as it’s made seem. Once the program starts winning big then they will probably trust the process more.
I believe as others said Autry is still the ultimate gatekeeper. I also believe Autry wants Kadary as well as the big NIL / alumni out there.

Autry can’t put all his eggs in one basket tho. He knows that Kadary is in no rush given his prospects sitting atop the portal. He can wait a lot longer and watch his NIL skyrocket as other teams get more desperate.

Autry had to have a back up plan. I think Carlos was part of that. It’s also possible that the NIL guys saw the price tag for Leffew, one that was getting a lot higher than it should and said like some are saying above why not just dig deeper and take a swing at Kadary.

Problem is Just cuz they take a serious pass at Kadary tho doesn’t mean we get him at the end. At that point we grab another Guard that fills a need in the back court and live with a committee at the 1-3.

Unless I say I'm willing to give Judah a million and Red doesn't want him.
If Red deserves his job, he'll have you paying a player he wants $1.2 million before the meeting is over.

Of course it is controlling. And it should be. They run the program. Not some donor. If they don't want to follow the program, they can spend their money some place else. The coaches know where they want the money spent. Not some donor. When I send money to St Judes, I don't tell their researchers what experiments the money should be spent on. Or anything else I send money to.
Yeah but it would be pretty crazy to turn down a player like Richmond don’t you think? I’m not impressed by the time it is taking staff to put this team together with the portal this season. Not what I thought would be happening.

Yeah but it would be pretty crazy to turn down a player like Richmond don’t you think? I’m not impressed by the time it is taking staff to put this team together with the portal this season. Not what I thought would be happening.
To that point Eric musselman, Caliponzi and Pope have added more players while transitioning to other schools.