Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting is certainly a two-way street.

But Ducharme and his family WANTED to commit on their official visit, and were rebuffed. The staff declined to accept their commitment, because they had another backcourt prospect rated higher. So there goes that theory.
Does anyone know which prospect specifically? I mean, we didn't even make the Top 11 for Elmarko or Top 5 for Gertrude. I don't know how they could have been so wrong. Those are the prospects - especially Elmarko - I would think they wanted, but it sounds like we weren't even close so it doesn't make sense.

*edited to state I don't doubt the information - just curious as to what specifically happened since it was such a train wreck.

Last edited:
General rule of thumb, dont host for an OV unless willing to take committment, especially when hes your only official visitor scheduled, Estrella scheduled soon after I believe. Now if you have 6-10 OVs scheduled the math and pecking order gets more complicated and this situation can be more understandable.

But right now we are not anywhere close to being a selector school yet the staff acts like they are, lol.

Does anyone know which prospect specifically? I mean, we didn't even make the Top 11 for Elmarko or Top 5 for Gertrude. I don't know how they could have been so wrong. Those are the prospects - especially Elmarko - I would think they wanted, but it sounds like we weren't even close so it doesn't make sense.

*edited to state I don't doubt the information - just curious as to what specifically happened since it was such a train wreck.

You guessed it correctly -- Elmarko. The irony being what you also point out about not making his top ELEVEN a week later.

It happens more than you think. I think Reid is probably more marginal P5 material. The flaw I see is they are only recruiting for 2-3 spots which is a mistake imo
This approach only works if you’re lights out on the trail.

We have not been for some tome

But Ducharme and his family WANTED to commit on their official visit, and were rebuffed. The staff declined to accept their commitment, because they had another backcourt prospect rated higher. So there goes that theory.
I know it’s all part of the game, but still goofy to me that school make offers and then tell kids not to commit.

17 year old me would tell that coach to f off.

I know it’s all part of the game, but still goofy to me that school make offers and then tell kids not to commit.

...and that's kind of what happened. Family was put off, and when we tried to circle back to smooth things over and get him to commit about a week later, the Ducharme camp indicated that they were keeping THEIR options open, just like we told them we were. And they ended up elsewhere.

I posted a similar question above -- why would the coaching staff host an official visit if they weren't prepared to accept a commitment? Why not push it into September, or work on getting the guy they prioritize more [Elmarko] to line up an official visit first?

Last edited:
...and that's kind of what happened. Family was put off, and when we tried to circle back they indicated that they were keeping their options open, just like we told them we were. And they ended up elsewhere.

I posted a similar question above -- why would the coaching staff do an official if they weren't prepared to accept a commitment?
Just seems like a monumental waste of time. We’ve had some shaky recruiting issues these last few years.
Used to be we’d just miss on choosing players, like Jalen Brunson for Jalen Carey. Now it’s to the point where we’re scrambling for choices. We no longer have the luxury of putting guys on pause, because we’re waiting for something better. It’s been such a recruiting clown show lately, and the product is reflecting the regression more and more.

...and that's kind of what happened. Family was put off, and when we tried to circle back to smooth things over and get him to commit about a week later, the Ducharme camp indicated that they were keeping THEIR options open, just like we told them we were. And they ended up elsewhere.

I posted a similar question above -- why would the coaching staff host an official visit if they weren't prepared to accept a commitment? Why not push it into September, or work on getting the guy they prioritize more [Elmarko] to line up an official visit first?
I know it's like beating a dead horse, but this is further proof that our staff has some issues with understanding where they are in the pecking order for recruits.

Whether that is JB leading the charge saying we are in good standing, or the assistants not being able to decipher if a kid is BS'ing or legitimately interested, there is a serious problem. And it has been a serious problem since Hop left.

As much as I had issues with the post-Ennis teams with Hopkins, they had talent. The McCullough injury hurt the '14-15 team, and 2015-16 went to the Final Four (with an underachieving regular season). Even 2016-17, they tried to enhance their roster with White/Gillon, and did have wins over 3 Top 10 teams that year.

Since Hop left, the recruiting has fallen off a cliff. And our record has done the same.

Get over it. Ducharme did not elect to attend Syracuse. Move on.

That was the past. Move on to the future.

We have 7 new players this year.

With luck they may all play and stay next year.

we will get a couple of new players (hopefully Estrella) that will mesh with the returning core.

Ducharme chose to move elsewhere. He is not coming here. Move on.

we will get a couple of new players (hopefully Estrella) that will mesh with the returning core.

Estrella ain't coming.

We have moved on -- however, that doesn't mean people shouldn't be held accountable for this sh!tshow.

My comment was about not being in Gertrude’s top 5, not Ducharme.

What new players? Of the remaining players Cuse has offered in the 2023 class, Mike Williams appears to be the only player possibly interested. There is always the portal, but I'm not too optimistic that will be a strong option for this coaching staff.

Estrella ain't coming.

We have moved on -- however, that doesn't mean people shouldn't be held accountable for this sh!tshow.
How many recruits have Syracuse lost and never noticed the next year. They have to do the best with what they have.

Do you ever notice that a recruit has more than one school recruiting him? Do you think that all the other schools who missed on a recruit that they want cry as much as this board does?

if you think that you can do better at recruiting than the current staff, then demonstrate your ability instead of your negativity.

People were negative when we lost Dior Johnson. People were negative when we lost Kamari Lands. People were negative when we lost Anthony Davis. And so on, and on. People were happy when we got Judah Mintz who appeared from nowhere on our recruiting screens.

If everything comes down to the recruiting staff, they are not leaving this year. If a new recruiting staff comes in, they may or not have any success in bringing recruits in. our Staff is one of the best at identifying new talent. They have not been able to close on a lot of them. If JAB is the perceived problem, let’s see how the next coach does. How many years (or days) are you going to give the new guy to be successful?

How many recruits have Syracuse lost and never noticed the next year. They have to do the best with what they have.

Do you ever notice that a recruit has more than one school recruiting him? Do you think that all the other schools who missed on a recruit that they want cry as much as this board does?

if you think that you can do better at recruiting than the current staff, then demonstrate your ability instead of your negativity.

People were negative when we lost Dior Johnson. People were negative when we lost Kamari Lands. People were negative when we lost Anthony Davis. And so on, and on. People were happy when we got Judah Mintz who appeared from nowhere on our recruiting screens.

If everything comes down to the recruiting staff, they are not leaving this year. If a new recruiting staff comes in, they may or not have any success in bringing recruits in. our Staff is one of the best at identifying new talent. They have not been able to close on a lot of them. If JAB is the perceived problem, let’s see how the next coach does. How many years (or days) are you going to give the new guy to be successful?
Have you noticed the decline in results the last 8 years?

If you have not, I'm not sure what you're watching.

If you have, then please tell me why we are losing. I can also tell you we haven't had a first round draft pick in the NBA since 2017. One draft pick overall in that 5 year span.

The glass isn't even half empty. It's barely got any water left.

I agree 100%. I wish Ducharme had committed here but I LOVE that he told JB he didnt need him either

I don't post much, but I can't keep quiet about this one. No recruit is a make it or break it for the program... BUT losing DuCharme smarts. He wanted to commit, and we blew it. Looks like we're going to whiff on Estrella too. I've read the thread, and if it's true, JB was MIA on his official visit too. Is this a sign that he's checked out or moving on? Because if he plans to stay beyond this season, he sure isn't acting like it.

I don't post much, but I can't keep quiet about this one. No recruit is a make it or break it for the program... BUT losing DuCharme smarts. He wanted to commit, and we blew it. Looks like we're going to whiff on Estrella too. I've read the thread, and if it's true, JB was MIA on his official visit too. Is this a sign that he's checked out or moving on? Because if he plans to stay beyond this season, he sure isn't acting like it.

JB couldn't play golf with Estrella due to a back injury.

Have you noticed the decline in results the last 8 years?

If you have not, I'm not sure what you're watching.

If you have, then please tell me why we are losing. I can also tell you we haven't had a first round draft pick in the NBA since 2017. One draft pick overall in that 5 year span.

The glass isn't even half empty. It's barely got any water left.
I’m saying that this not getting a top recruit may not happen with new coaching staff either.

I know this thread is on Reid, not JP, but from what I've heard, SU has already been told that JP is picking Tennessee. I totally agree with the sentiments here that if Reid wanted to commit, and SU said hold on, because SU was eyeing Elmarko, Elijah, and then didn't even make their cut lists, that's a major whiff by SU (and I love the Orange and am a proud alum).

I’m saying that this not getting a top recruit may not happen with new coaching staff either.
I am not sure what has happened to the program since joining the ACC but clearly it is a shell of what it was even just 10 years ago. They have been ranked in the AP Top 25 for a total of 7 weeks since 2014 and not ranked since December of 2018. Prior to joining the ACC, being ranked in the Top 25 was a minimum threshold for the program. If we are honest, the ACC during the past few years is a signifantly weaker overall conference then the old Big East so it can’t be due to tougher schedules. My guess is there are a multitude of reasons that together contributed to a steady decline into mediocrity. Unlike football however, they have good facilities and a strong supportive fan base. I am not part of these recruiting visits or the recruiting process so my comments relative to recruiting are solely judgemental. My thoughts are two fold: 1. Syracuse basketball as a brand no longer resonates with the recruits. They have become a .500 team in conference and not much better than that overall. They are not going to the Tournament on an annual basis. 2 They play a style of basketball that may not be attractive for most of the really athletic players. So a question to the forum is how does this happen to a program with good facilities, a great fan base and one of the closest and most active basketball alumni groups? I watch the old players and how they interact with JB. I would appear he has built and fostered great relationships with his players that continued long past their playing days. That should mean the players are sharing thoughts with JB on todays high school kids and what their priorities might be today vs 20 years ago. I am interested in everyone’s thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom