game-deciding play | Syracusefan.com

game-deciding play

pearl31

in cahoots
Derrickson called for the charge w around 7 or so to play. Probably should have been a block on Dolezaj.

- Would have been 5 on MD instead of Derrickson
- Would have been 2 points for them (Derrickson 90+% FT shooter going to line) rather than points for us at the other end
- They clearly missed Derrickson dearly down the stretch

huge (fortunate) play

I agree, but after that the calls were mostly going GT's way. Definitely a block on MD.

Derrickson called for the charge w around 7 or so to play. Probably should have been a block on Dolezaj.

- Would have been 2 points for them (Derrickson 90+% FT shooter going to line) rather than points for us at the other end

huge (fortunate) play

huge (fortunate) play

Yeah, but - Derrickson lowered his shoulder, so even tho MD was moving, refs are gonna call the shoulder check like 99% of the time there.

Agreed. Dolezaj was moving. Nonetheless, a great and heady play by MD.

You can be moving on a charge call, a defender can move laterally or backwards, it’s more about timing.

Yeah, but - Derrickson lowered his shoulder, so even tho MD was moving, refs are gonna call the shoulder check like 99% of the time there.
Absolutely. How many times do you see that call when a player starts to drive from further out on the floor and moves the defensive man with his shoulder.

Was a big play getting him to foul out, but I think the corner 3 that tied? the game from Battle with 90 seconds to go was the game deciding play. Gtown couldn't believe that they had blown their lead and let us tie it. They were still smiling and happy before that play. The hoyas started to panic and force things after that shot.

I didn't feel like we got many calls all afternoon, and some called against us were downright bad. That was one that the referee's blew in our favor. Proving they aren't intentionally trying to favor one team over the other, they are just doing a bad job generally.

huge (fortunate) play

Battle hitting his shots is why we won this game.

IMO, it was Frank getting the steal late.

I feared that we were down one too many baskets, and wouldn't be able to quite climb back over the hump, but from that point on Gtown played shell shocked.

I thought Dolezaj established his position with his upper body. That did not move at all while the feet did. What Cherie said above. On the replay, maybe not as sure. But his strong strong (laughing) upper body was solidly there. Either way I can tell you many calls that could have gone another way. It's all part of the game.

i seem to recall play earlier in the game where the Gtown had position and we ran over him and they called blocking. that's why the marek play surprised me a little.

huge (fortunate) play

Yup, we don't win if that guy stays on the floor.

I thought it was a clear charge. The announcers mentioned earlier in the game that its a point of emphasis to not reward the offensive player when they initiate contact, yet they conveniently forgot to mention that fact when Derrickson clearly lowered his head with the intention of bowling Dolezaj over. That call had nothing to do with Dolezaj being in position and everything to do with Derrickson hockey checking Dolezaj.

I thought it was a clear charge. The announcers mentioned earlier in the game that its a point of emphasis to not reward the offensive player when they initiate contact, yet they conveniently forgot to mention that fact when Derrickson clearly lowered his head with the intention of bowling Dolezaj over. That call had nothing to do with Dolezaj being in position and everything to do with Derrickson hockey checking Dolezaj.
I agree, Gen - but more often than not they call that play the other way

huge (fortunate) play

disagree, I thought it was a good call.

yes, marek was moving, but Derrickson lowered his shoulder and plowed in creating the brunt of the contact.

It was with 5:23 left. Georgetown was up 7. After that call, Syracuse outscored Georgetown 29-13. Not much else needs to be said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom