game-deciding play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

game-deciding play

I think it was a questionable call but glad it went our way. Lowering your shoulder into a primary defender should be a charge regardless of if the feet are moving or not. Problem is that Dolezaj was not the primary defender. He slid in late to try to block the baseline. Yes, Derrickson lowered his shoulder a bit, but Dolezaj was a secondary defender who slid into the space late with his feet still moving. I would have been upset if the call went the other way, but I could easily see why it would go that way.

I think it was a questionable call but glad it went our way. Lowering your shoulder into a primary defender should be a charge regardless of if the feet are moving or not. Problem is that Dolezaj was not the primary defender. He slid in late to try to block the baseline. Yes, Derrickson lowered his shoulder a bit, but Dolezaj was a secondary defender who slid into the space late with his feet still moving. I would have been upset if the call went the other way, but I could easily see why it would go that way.

To me it's a pretty clear cut foul on G'Town as well. The offensive player isn't really making a basketball move of any sort - he's bulldozing. If he elevates in the same situation, or goes in normal, probably a foul on Marek. In that case the defender is sliding in front, and the defender wouldn't have been set before the offensive player arrived whilst doing something related to the game of basketball.

As soon as you lower your shoulder though - I mean, you're initiating the contact regardless of what's going on. Just like if you jumped feet first into someone in some Karate Kid kamikaze move. I don't really care who is moving at that point - that's just not a basketball move. It's you being a spazzy nutjob - foul is on you.

Calling CJ Fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom