Game thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Game thoughts...

Jake

Mod
Very happy with the win. I was worried coming into this game about getting the Toledo offense off the field. After that first drive, I thought we were in for a long day (though I was very happy to hold them to three). They called a great game.

I thought one of the keys to the game was their decision to rotate QB's in the first half when they could have stepped on our throat. #2 is #2 for a reason. Severe drop off from their starter - I would be livid if I were a toledo fan. If their starter plays the entire game, I think we lose.

Paige is a player. Great vision in the open field. Not blazing fast, but he's fast enough.

I thought our tackling sucked, especially in the first half. I attribute a lot of it to having a ton of second unit guys out there. I hate to single out any player, expecially since he's a walkon, but Amene showed why he is a walkon. He whiffed a couple of times on plays that have to be made. Diet tab is a severe drop off in speed compared to Spruill.

Not sure who tyhe LB was who blew the wheel route, I think it was Vaughn. But it the second straight week that we've been torched by this play. Got to have better discipline on assignments.

Our DB's really struggled to get off the blocks on the bubble screens. Thomas blew one of them up out of man coverage when he split the blockers...and Lyn made a TERRIFIC play attacking the blocker and making the tackle (too bad he got hurt doing it). Other than that, we struggled to stop it.

I'd love to hear what Nassib had to say about the play were he missed Chew for six. Perfect play call on first down, perfect execution, except Ryan didn't throw the ball and it looked like he was staring right at Chew? I lost my when he ran the ball.

Overall, not Nassib's best game. Still very good, especially in the first half. I thought he really struggled in the second half up until the final couple of possessions.

Becket Wales played today. I know that because at one point I wanted him dead for jumping early on a critical redzone possession and nearly costing us 15 yards in OT with what was very close to an unneccessary roughness play. Otherwise, I didn't notice him in the game.

And a final note on the play calling. Probable the first time this year that I had issues with anythign Hackett called. Thought we really forced the run game at times. Ryan can carry us, I thought Ryan should have been given more opportunities to do so today.

Oh, one other thing. Chew's throw, although lemon wasn't open and he probabley should have just run it...his throw was freaking perfect. Impressed.

Their QB1 (Dantin) was throwing up all night and taking IV's. QB2 (Owens) tweaked his back. Hence the rotation.

Agreed about Chew's throw. I'm not happy that he threw it into double coverage, but it was a perfect spiral--beautiful throw.

Oh, one other thing. Chew's throw, although lemon wasn't open and he probabley should have just run it...his throw was freaking perfect. Impressed.

This can't be overstated. Chew threw into double-coverage, and it easily could have been a second turnover, but he put it where only Lemon could get it. Still didn't keep it inbounds, but it was a precise throw, and not an interception. Nice touch.

Lemon quickly turned into a DB on that throw. Got his hand between the defenders and saved us there. I thought the Chew play was a waste within 30 yards. You pull that play at mid-field, not in FG range.

I did not know the health issues or non-health issues in regards to their QBs, but I agree. Why switch QBs when they are ahead in the game and the QB is playing well?!? If it was health related it makes more sense.

Lemon quickly turned into a DB on that throw. Got his hand between the defenders and saved us there. I thought the Chew play was a waste within 30 yards. You pull that play at mid-field, not in FG range.
Trick plays two weeks in a row. When was the last time we could say that?

Trick plays two weeks in a row. When was the last time we could say that?
Don't know, but theres a time and place for them. Don't really like them within FG range nonetheless.

West got some time and a couple of catches...returned from the dead where some on the board had him.

Good recap. That Page has great balance and he seems pretty strong too. Either Wilkes or Scott had a chance to nail him for a loss in the 4Q on one of those WR quick passes/screen but Page just bounced off him. My eyes are still good...Toledo has better skill position athletes on offense...no brainer, IMO. Coaching and desire won it today.

West got some time and a couple of catches...returned from the dead where some on the board had him.
stat wise west was our leading receiver yesterday i was impressed

Thought we really forced the run game at times.

Agree...1000%. Sent a few texts yesterday..."they are over committing to the run". I am fine establishing the running game but lets not over do it guys. Almost cost them the game when we went 3 and out at the 7 or 8 minute mark. I was not sure if we were going to get the ball back.

Definitely was Vaughn who got fooled (badly) on Toledo's wheel route. He pursued the flow so hard he was 15 yds away when the receiver caught the ball -- made it hard to tell he was the outside LB on the left side of the defense.

West got his feet wet with 2 good catches, but he didn't need to make any moves to get open. Hard to see on TV, but I suspect Toledo was paying a lot of attention to Lemon & Chew and not so much to West. Still, good to see West in the mix.

I know what folks are saying about Nassib (missed a couple of chances to make a long strike), but he made a great TD throw to Lemon to beat a blitz, made a pump fake and throw to Provo -- both plays showed how his poise and skill have grown from last year. Showed command during Q4.

As for the run/play mix, the most promising aspect of this game was the Bailey/Gulley duo -- showing that we actually can make plays with the running attack. Got stuffed a few times, but also made enough plays to keep the LBs honest.

Defense -- the effort is there, but we are short on size and talent. Makes for an exciting game for those who like offense on both sides.

againse Boise the one QB played most of the game and played well. This week the starter played much better. they have a 2 man rotation and have to live with it..

Defense -- the effort is there, but we are short on size and talent. Makes for an exciting game for those who like offense on both sides.

I disagree... I think we are short on size and EXPERIENCE (not talent). Both of these things can be fixed, as a large portion of the 2-Deep on defense are underclassmen. Over the course of this season, we'll get better play due to experience... and next season, these freshmen and sophomores will pack on some more size. The only players that we will lose after this season from the 2 deep are Marinovich, Scott, Boatman, and Ball. The rest of the defense will be back... I feel very good about the future of this defense.

Their QB1 (Dantin) was throwing up all night and taking IV's. QB2 (Owens) tweaked his back. Hence the rotation.

Rockets have rotated QB's all season. Soph QB Owens has a rifle arm and can stretch the field.
Dantin is more mobile and does a better job with reads, IMO.

I questioned the coach's call as well. And I agree with Jake that if he stayed in they probably scored again and made their win much more probable.

I didn't really think about the Dantin not being 100%, they did say on TV he had flu like symptoms or something. That said, I still think it was a huge mistake that probably cost them the game and I think if you were talking with their HC next to the "fencepost" he'd probably agree. There was a reason Dantin didn't get another series off after his 2 series rest.

If he was healthy enough to play a full game with only 2 series off, those were the worst two series to let him take off.

I questioned the coach's call as well. And I agree with Jake that if he stayed in they probably scored again and made their win much more probable.

I didn't really think about the Dantin not being 100%, they did say on TV he had flu like symptoms or something. That said, I still think it was a huge mistake that probably cost them the game and I think if you were talking with their HC next to the "fencepost" he'd probably agree. There was a reason Dantin didn't get another series off after his 2 series rest.

If he was healthy enough to play a full game with only 2 series off, those were the worst two series to let him take off.

Dantin was puking before, after the game, and getting IV's. Tough enough without 4 starters on defense, then having your 1,000+ yd rusher Adonis Thomas with a broken arm, the #2 QB Owens with a back injury, and your starting CB to go down,the xtra point fiasco and the K/O return called back-please give me the phone number for the Orange's Voodoo Doctor.
Still had a chance to put it away and didn't. All water under the bridge at this point. Got to heal up and get ready for a tough road game in Philly with Temple , who crushed the Terrapins. Congrats on the win.
Good luck with the rest of the season. Btw, I believe the ACC move is tremendous and will pay benefits for a long time.

Sounds like 2 teams beat up from the prior week(s). It definitely showed toward the end of the game as players were getting tired physically and mentally as well.

That was a brutal stretch of games for Toledo and if they played us 3 weeks ago it surely would have been a much different game on both ends of the field.

Both teams share a lot in common as Marrone touched on at his presser. Both teams have been turning around their programs with 3rd year coaches. At this point they have some players with talent that understand what's being asked of them, but the depth is and will be an issue for the remainder of the season.

I wish Toledo the best of luck for the rest of the season and hope they can catch some opportunities that slipped away these past 3 weeks.

Very happy with the win. I was worried coming into this game about getting the Toledo offense off the field. After that first drive, I thought we were in for a long day (though I was very happy to hold them to three). They called a great game.

I thought one of the keys to the game was their decision to rotate QB's in the first half when they could have stepped on our throat. #2 is #2 for a reason. Severe drop off from their starter - I would be livid if I were a toledo fan. If their starter plays the entire game, I think we lose.

Paige is a player. Great vision in the open field. Not blazing fast, but he's fast enough.

I thought our tackling sucked, especially in the first half. I attribute a lot of it to having a ton of second unit guys out there. I hate to single out any player, expecially since he's a walkon, but Amene showed why he is a walkon. He whiffed a couple of times on plays that have to be made. Diet tab is a severe drop off in speed compared to Spruill.

Not sure who tyhe LB was who blew the wheel route, I think it was Vaughn. But it the second straight week that we've been torched by this play. Got to have better discipline on assignments.

Our DB's really struggled to get off the blocks on the bubble screens. Thomas blew one of them up out of man coverage when he split the blockers...and Lyn made a TERRIFIC play attacking the blocker and making the tackle (too bad he got hurt doing it). Other than that, we struggled to stop it.

I'd love to hear what Nassib had to say about the play were he missed Chew for six. Perfect play call on first down, perfect execution, except Ryan didn't throw the ball and it looked like he was staring right at Chew? I lost my **** when he ran the ball.

Overall, not Nassib's best game. Still very good, especially in the first half. I thought he really struggled in the second half up until the final couple of possessions.

Becket Wales played today. I know that because at one point I wanted him dead for jumping early on a critical redzone possession and nearly costing us 15 yards in OT with what was very close to an unneccessary roughness play. Otherwise, I didn't notice him in the game.

And a final note on the play calling. Probable the first time this year that I had issues with anythign Hackett called. Thought we really forced the run game at times. Ryan can carry us, I thought Ryan should have been given more opportunities to do so today.

Not happy with the redzone offense. 3 FG's out of 5 trips in regulation. Not good.

Didn't like they way they came out to start the 3rd, and a lot of good FP was wasted yesterday.

On a good note given the number of plays that they do manage to run and the total yardage they are pretty efficient when it comes to scoring.

Still a ton of room for improvement. 3rd down on both sides of the ball, generating turnovers and easy points are two areas that would really raise the level of the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom