Game week is here | Syracusefan.com

Game week is here

Okay, now that game week is here, it's time to start talking Clemson vs Syracuse. I have to say I am glad that Clemson got back on track against Wake Forest before going up to the Dome.

I am excited about a new opponent, but would be so much more confident if it was played at the valley. I expect my team to walk into a madhouse. I have pretty much held to the belief that Clemson had 2 -- I don't want to say trap games -- games that they could lose when "experts" say they shouldn't. One is Maryland, and it is becoming more evident as the season continues that they are for real. The other is Syracuse.

Clemson has played well in hostile/loud environments when playing a higher-ranked team (at Auburn 3 yrs ago, last year's Peach Bowl, FSU last year). While they may not win, they play hard. Syracuse scares me because they do not get the hype, and in a packed dome, it could be a surprise for my team. Here's hoping my team stays focused, and both teams play to their abilities without getting anyone injured.

Respect for you QB's performance in his 1st (?) start. His stat line was pretty amazing. Our defense is much improved this year, mainly due to our d-line getting pressure. Big key for your offense is (obviously) your o-line's ability to pass protect. If your QB has time, our secondary can be exploited. Grady Jarrett (interior d-line) and Vic Beasley (d-end) are the mainstays to our rush. Linebacker, while better, sometimes misses their fits on run plays. Our weakness in the back 4 revolves around cornerbacks that are simply serviceable and safeties that too often take bad angles on the ball.

You pretty much know about our offense skill guys. The major concern on that side of the ball will be right takcle. The starter (Timothy) is the weak link (slow feet). He was the one that got Boyd sacked twice in the first drive against NC State. The best option there is Battle (of the uppercut thrower). He locked down Mingo (LSU defensive end) during the Peach Bowl. However, coaches have been reluctant to trust him as the starter.

Anyway, looking forward to the game, and may the best Orange win.

PS to a long post. When you guys play Wake Forest, watch out for number 3 (Campanero). Seems like he has played there for about 20 years. Wouldn't surprise me if that wide receiver has had over a hundred yards every time he has played Clemson. He is the only weapon they have, and he is damn good. I am glad I never have to watch him carve up my team again.

Do you expect a large number of Tigers fans ro travel to the dome?

Do you expect a large number of Tigers fans ro travel to the dome?
I would expect so. Clemson has a reputation for being one of the best traveling fan bases. I know that when we went to the first Boston College ACC matchup, the message board fans were pretty amazed at the number of Clemson fans that attended (think around 15k). People were talking about how the Clemson fans took over sports bars that weekend. Of course, that was during a good economy too. There should still be a strong contingent of Tiger fans that attend the game.

I would expect so. Clemson has a reputation for being one of the best traveling fan bases. I know that when we went to the first Boston College ACC matchup, the message board fans were pretty amazed at the number of Clemson fans that attended (think around 15k). People were talking about how the Clemson fans took over sports bars that weekend. Of course, that was during a good economy too. There should still be a strong contingent of Tiger fans that attend the game.

I have no doubt you'll bring a ton of people, and I say bring it on. Our crowd sometimes needs a kick in the butt to get going, and a strong road presence tends to do that. Not 15k though please. 5k would be great though.

Should be a great atmosphere on Saturday.

His parents tailgated (Campanero) with the Fine Mess a couple seasons ago. Alec Lemon's parents invited them. I found out at tailgate Campanero was very interested in the Cuse but selected WF. I had no idea who this parents' kid was before the game but found out at the game I wish he was on our team.

Travel safe and welcome to the Dome. I look forward to going to Memorial Stadium next year.
This is going to be a great rivalry for years to come.
Go Orange!

Good post, and I think any Syracuse fan will tell you to have a chance to win we will need two+ plus turnovers and handle your defense. Our defense will have a hard time holding you guys under 35 because of Boyd.

On Campanero we played Wake Forest to start the 2011 season and your right he seems like he has been there forever. He burned us for over 100 yards that day and if his starting QB didn't get hurt we may have lost that game as SU couldn't cover him. However, I think we will handle Wake at the Dome this year.

Maybe some South Carolina football passion is what our fans need to get re-energized. I'm pretty confidant that our fans will come out and make the dome loud and obnoxious. I'm anxious to see if we can make it as crazy as I remember it was when Miami would visit. Man did I hate them, even though I was just a young-un. Go Cuse!

Good post, and I think any Syracuse fan will tell you to have a chance to win we will need two+ plus turnovers and handle your defense. Our defense will have a hard time holding you guys under 35 because of Boyd.

On Campanero we played Wake Forest to start the 2011 season and your right he seems like he has been there forever. He burned us for over 100 yards that day and if his starting QB didn't get hurt we may have lost that game as SU couldn't cover him. However, I think we will handle Wake at the Dome this year.
Yeah, you should handle Wake pretty easily. This is the worst team I have ever seen Grobe field while at Wake. His offensive line cannot move anyone while run blocking. The only success they really had against us was dumping passes off in the flat while we were in cover 3. Our DC changed to more of a cover 1 look, and pretty much shut them down.

Maybe some South Carolina football passion is what our fans need to get re-energized. I'm pretty confidant that our fans will come out and make the dome loud and obnoxious. I'm anxious to see if we can make it as crazy as I remember it was when Miami would visit. Man did I hate them, even though I was just a young-un. Go Cuse!
I take it as a compliment for Clemson that you guys plan to bring it. Domes can be pretty tough on visiting offenses. Hoping we can handle the atmosphere.

Whoa Whoa Whoa...nobody is handling anyone at the Dome. Although I am hoping my wife handles me later on this evening and after the Clemson game :D

I take it as a compliment for Clemson that you guys plan to bring it. Domes can be pretty tough on visiting offenses. Hoping we can handle the atmosphere.

I'm hoping it's not just the dome that is hard on your offense but our d that does the real punishment!

Okay, now that game week is here, it's time to start talking Clemson vs Syracuse. I have to say I am glad that Clemson got back on track against Wake Forest before going up to the Dome.

I am excited about a new opponent, but would be so much more confident if it was played at the valley. I expect my team to walk into a madhouse. I have pretty much held to the belief that Clemson had 2 -- I don't want to say trap games -- games that they could lose when "experts" say they shouldn't. One is Maryland, and it is becoming more evident as the season continues that they are for real. The other is Syracuse.

Clemson has played well in hostile/loud environments when playing a higher-ranked team (at Auburn 3 yrs ago, last year's Peach Bowl, FSU last year). While they may not win, they play hard. Syracuse scares me because they do not get the hype, and in a packed dome, it could be a surprise for my team. Here's hoping my team stays focused, and both teams play to their abilities without getting anyone injured.

Respect for you QB's performance in his 1st (?) start. His stat line was pretty amazing. Our defense is much improved this year, mainly due to our d-line getting pressure. Big key for your offense is (obviously) your o-line's ability to pass protect. If your QB has time, our secondary can be exploited. Grady Jarrett (interior d-line) and Vic Beasley (d-end) are the mainstays to our rush. Linebacker, while better, sometimes misses their fits on run plays. Our weakness in the back 4 revolves around cornerbacks that are simply serviceable and safeties that too often take bad angles on the ball.

You pretty much know about our offense skill guys. The major concern on that side of the ball will be right takcle. The starter (Timothy) is the weak link (slow feet). He was the one that got Boyd sacked twice in the first drive against NC State. The best option there is Battle (of the uppercut thrower). He locked down Mingo (LSU defensive end) during the Peach Bowl. However, coaches have been reluctant to trust him as the starter.

Anyway, looking forward to the game, and may the best Orange win.

PS to a long post. When you guys play Wake Forest, watch out for number 3 (Campanero). Seems like he has played there for about 20 years. Wouldn't surprise me if that wide receiver has had over a hundred yards every time he has played Clemson. He is the only weapon they have, and he is damn good. I am glad I never have to watch him carve up my team again.

Any chance your guys don't take us seriously after your big win vs. Wake? This is usually one ingredient to a loss in the dome for a highly ranked opponent.

Any chance your guys don't take us seriously after your big win vs. Wake? This is usually one ingredient to a loss in the dome for a highly ranked opponent.
I doubt it. This team knows that teams will bring their best against them every week. So in turn our guys have to bring their best if they hope to win. Plus I'm pretty sure our guys know what happened to Louisville last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom