Gameday traditions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gameday traditions

They don't seem to hurt the NFL teams located in the Central time zone

The NFL sells itself. The fans also pay a lot more for tickets so its not something I would think they're going to blow off.

No one said we need one lot or that tailgating is impossible with the current setup. People were only suggesting that a centralized location would be better. The more parking around the stadium the better, that is common sense. If better parking doesn't affect attendance then we might as well get rid of the lots by the Dome and use them for dorms. People were implying tailgating is impossible? I never read that. All people are saying is that if the university someday builds a new stadium, one with parking around the stadium might be better. Tailgating can be greatly improved at Syracuse. We are offering suggestions. Winning obviously helps, but all it takes is another 4-8 season and were back to 30,000 actual fans or less. I think the move to the ACC will help but eventually the fans will get used to it. I too thinks it starts and stops with administration and whether or not they have someone who gets college football.

By the way, I am perfectly fine with the current setup, but that doesn't mean it was designed perfectly.

Yes, a centralized location would be better. So what? So would a new stadium a retractable roof. Neither will happen in the next 30 years. I get that it's fun to dream though but it ain't gonna happen. Not feasible.

Yes, the more parking around the stadium the better. However, it's not like there is a bunch of free space to add parking to. So, saying "we should have more parking next to the dome" but not pointing out cost-effective, feasible location is not adding to a discussion that could produce results. Everyone knows the parking situation is not great. Do you really think that is a novel concept?

They should take the roof off of the dome on nice days! It would be better.

We should put a sign up in the tunnel that the players can tap before taking the field. Similar to "I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" and "Play like a champion today". We could have "Just win, baby".

We should put a sign up in the tunnel that the players can tap before taking the field. Similar to "I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" and "Play like a champion today". We could have "Just win, baby".

Sign would most definitely say: "We are Hard-Nosed" or "Time for Hard-Nosed Football!!"...but would have to definitely have a hard-nosed reference in there...

Yes, a centralized location would be better. So what? So would a new stadium a retractable roof. Neither will happen in the next 30 years. I get that it's fun to dream though but it ain't gonna happen. Not feasible.

Yes, the more parking around the stadium the better. However, it's not like there is a bunch of free space to add parking to. So, saying "we should have more parking next to the dome" but not pointing out cost-effective, feasible location is not adding to a discussion that could produce results. Everyone knows the parking situation is not great. Do you really think that is a novel concept?

They should take the roof off of the dome on nice days! It would be better.

Hmmm...Obviously I'm not implying that we can add new lots around the Dome since there is no room. The context of adding new lots pertained to a new stadium.

I know the noon start time has been something brought up around here, but that's something that TV determines most of the time, so there's really no point in lamenting it. I don't hear other fanbases complain about it near as much as we do.

Or "Whoop-dee-damn-do!"

I know the noon start time has been something brought up around here, but that's something that TV determines most of the time, so there's really no point in lamenting it. I don't hear other fanbases complain about it near as much as we do.

No doubt. Wisconsin and others get huge crowds for 11:00 a.m. kicks.

We do draw from a very different population, though. To the extent we can, we should work with the networks and actively pursue later kickoffs.

No doubt. Wisconsin and others get huge crowds for 11:00 a.m. kicks.

We do draw from a very different population, though. To the extent we can, we should work with the networks and actively pursue later kickoffs.
Sure. Always do what you can to improve the product and it's perception.

its all about the layout, you need tailgating to be close to parking. you need parking near stadium or all together and bus people over. Arizona shuts down the grass areas on campus and allows parking on the quad. people set up tents, drink then walk to stadium and back to tailgating. Syracuse needs a big area to be know for its tailgating. I wish the stadium was not on campus.

I agree a player walk through the quad would be a great first step, but it kind of looses its effect if there are no fans there to walk through. I went to the quad before every home game last year and its a pretty nice atmosphere, but there are not a ton of people there. They have food and drink vendors, retail trailers and of course the band plays for about a half hour in front of the chapel. Maybe if it was promoted more as the place to be for those who don't have a tailgate-able parking space near the dome (everyone can't be in the Fine lot) more might show up pregame. It might help if they had live music before the game just to create some energy (it works well at the Sheraton) --they could quit playing before the band starts up. The quad is definitely not achieving it's potential as a pregame meeting place/destination.

its all about the layout, you need tailgating to be close to parking. you need parking near stadium or all together and bus people over. Arizona shuts down the grass areas on campus and allows parking on the quad. people set up tents, drink then walk to stadium and back to tailgating. Syracuse needs a big area to be know for its tailgating. I wish the stadium was not on campus.
More excuses. Tennessee is very similar in that they have no convenient parking. The stadium is surrounded by city/campus on one side and a river on the other. People park in the garages nearby or somewhere else in the downtown area and walk to the games. I never hear of people complaining about a lack of tailgaiting. They make the best of it and just show up. The ultimate problem is that SU football just doesn't have the kind of local following a lot of other schools have. We don't have a large rabid fanbase. Parking and kickoff times aren't going to change that.

But other schools don't have parking adjacent to tailgating. So that's not a "need."

I want to see a ceremonial lighting of the Dome's roof in Orange after a victory. You could easily install orange lights around the perimeter that would cast an orange tint to the Dome roof. This could be seen for miles and would be really cool looking.

I think we should multiple small tailgate lots all over the university manley and skytop areas. That would be really cool.

And we could have Derrick Coleman slug anyone who doesn't slap the sign.
It's just a cool thing that the university could do. A large number of teams have unique signs and statues in their tunnels.

I attended an Oklahoma tailgate and basically, they park all over campus and in lots all over the place. We parked about a 1/2 mile or more away. Tailgate stations are all over the place near the stadium. The school regulates the tailgates so that only certain people with the tailgate supplies park in the Prime spots near the stadium and they set up bashes that rival anyone. Large screen panel TV's, full menus (some smoking BBQ starts the night before on site!), beverages of all kinds. We attended an afternoon game but were there 3 hours before and the party was already in full swing.

I think that Syrase could form designated areas and allow groups (can you say "Fine Mess") special access to setup and run portions of the tailgate around the quad or certain lots. Also, closing off streets to auto traffic around the Dome and allowing more tailgating in those areas.

Add in some school specific activities and it would not take much to create an all day tailgate event atmosphere.

This would take cooperation from the AD and the school administration but that's how the big boys do it. Schools take an active part in making access available and near the stadium. This may require a little self-policing (limitations, not a ban) on the adult beverages but a small price to pay for the whole day event.