Garrett Shrader Interview with Gramlich & MacLain | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader Interview with Gramlich & MacLain

Holy moly, his quiet confidence is infectious. I am so amped up for this game now.

Agreed -- he is so similar to Dungey in terms of his playmaking, but couldn't be more different personality wise. Against UConn, he made a run and as he was getting up, some Husky DL chest bumped him, and got all up in his face.

Dungey would have punched the kid in the face mask.

Shrader brushed the kid past, and didn't even react.

He is really something -- what a fortuitous situation to have him transfer here. Big time QB, and still improving.

Agreed -- he is so similar to Dungey in terms of his playmaking, but couldn't be more different personality wise. Against UConn, he made a run and as he was getting up, some Husky DL chest bumped him, and got all up in his face.

Dungey would have punched the kid in the face mask.

Shrader brushed the kid past, and didn't even react.

He is really something -- what a fortuitous situation to have him transfer here. Big time QB, and still improving.
but but the genius Mike Leach moved him to wide receiver, he sucks, remember? he has really worked hard to improve his game, and Anae and Beck have done their usual great job with making their QB better.

Watching the Purdue game highlights, I noticed that after the dramatic, game-winning TD, they showed a brief shot of Shrader's reaction. He simply walked off the field - no wild celebration, chest-bumping - not even a smile. His face was stoic and as if he was totally in charge.

I'm reminded of MLB pitchers, who after a huge strike-out, usually just walk off the field in a very business-like fashion.

I don't recall Shrader's persona in previous years, but I wonder how much of his on-field demeanor this season reflects Baber's and/or Beck's influence.

Last edited:
but but the genius Mike Leach moved him to wide receiver, he sucks, remember? he has really worked hard to improve his game, and Anae and Beck have done their usual great job with making their QB better.
My recollection is that the Miss. St. offense is designed for a traditional, drop-back passer, which didn't fit Shrader's dual-threat style. Maybe Devito would have done well there,

My recollection is that the Miss. St. offense is designed for a traditional, drop-back passer, which didn't fit Shrader's dual-threat style. Maybe Devito would have done well there,
yeah, air-raid definitely calls for a drop back passer, which people ignored and used it as fuel against GS. Granted, he was not a good passer last year, but he was clearly improving before he got hurt at the end of the Va Tech game. Plus, Gilbert is a schmuck of an OC/QB coach, which did not help either

Man I’ve loved this kid since we brought him in

Glad everyone else is finally starting to buy in.

I would say 70% of the people on here doubted Shrader because he got moved from QB to WR. But he really just did it because he’s a baller and wanted to be on the field

The moment I knew this kid would change everyone’s opinion of him was that game at Virginia Tech.

Pairing him up with Anae and Beck has made him dangerous and made NFL scouts turn their heads.

We’re in for a special ride with this kid and we are blessed to experience it

I would say 70% of the people on here doubted Shrader because he got moved from QB to WR. But he really just did it because he’s a baller and wanted to be on the field

The moment I knew this kid would change everyone’s opinion of him was that game at Virginia Tech.

Pairing him up with Anae and Beck has made him dangerous and made NFL scouts turn their heads.

Amen brother you and I fought the good fight for a long time on this. I knew this was possible from simply watching his Mississippi State film, I remember yelling to him as he was wandering the sideline flipping the ball in the air at Ohio University, to “hang in there your time will come”

Let’s hope it continues at this level, maybe even gets better as they really have not had a total team performance yet as he noted in the interview

Last edited:

I think that 70% was just a vocal minority.

Eh, it’s probably good to question a kid who gets moved to WR, while hoping for the best case scenario. No regrets.

I questioned Dungey as a west coast kid with no big offers.

They both proved it where it matters. And we are blessed to experience it

yeah Garret really isn't a fit for what Mike Leach is doing. Good fit for who recruited him to Miss St in Joe Moorhead. It happens.
Exactly. Not every QB is made for every system. This system has been molded around Shrader and that’s why we’re seeing him blossom. And quite frankly with the challenges we’ve had historically in recruiting both the line and QB to make a drop back system work, this type of multi faceted dual threat approach makes the most sense for our program anyway.

Eh, it’s probably good to question a kid who gets moved to WR, while hoping for the best case scenario. No regrets.

I questioned Dungey as a west coast kid with no big offers.

They both proved it where it matters. And we are blessed to experience it

I disagree, if anyone took any time to look into GS from his freshman year….they would have known that the only reason he got switched was because he wasn’t a pocket passer which is what Mike Leach wants.

I mean look at his TRUE FRESHMAN highlights play against some of the best teams in the nation in the SEC. I mean a kid just fresh out of high school and he was already a baller in what is arguably the best football conference.

So when GS got benched for a more Leach friendly QB…. GS does what GS does and did anything he could to get on the field. When GS knew that he could play QB and WR wasn’t a fit for him he entered the portal.

We’re very blessed to have been able to bring him to Cuse.

His leadership alone has been absolutely amazing.

As Cuseregular said, there was a reason both he and I were singing his praises very early on.

I love that he seems like he'd rather not be doing that interview. Not in a disrespectful way, just that he does not care at all about the limelight. There isn't a trace of diva in him. All he wants to do is play football.

Last edited:
I disagree, if anyone took any time to look into GS from his freshman year….they would have known that the only reason he got switched was because he wasn’t a pocket passer which is what Mike Leach wants.

I mean look at his TRUE FRESHMAN highlights play against some of the best teams in the nation in the SEC. I mean a kid just fresh out of high school and he was already a baller in what is arguably the best football conference.

So when GS got benched for a more Leach friendly QB…. GS does what GS does and did anything he could to get on the field. When GS knew that he could play QB and WR wasn’t a fit for him he entered the portal.

We’re very blessed to have been able to bring him to Cuse.

His leadership alone has been absolutely amazing.

As Cuseregular said, there was a reason both he and I were singing his praises very early on.

I took the time, watched full games of him playing and still had questions. The QB spot is the hardest to evaluate, lots of professional scouts get it wrong. I saw what you saw - a baller. But he was inconsistent in his throwing motion, too quick to run, and more athlete than QB. Flex if you want, but it’s his development after he got here that is the most impressive and important. That’s on him and Beck.

In the end, dunking on people who took the time to wrestle publicly with the good and the bad of a prospect is poor form. That’s all.

And rest assured, we’re all aboard the Shrader train now ;)

I took the time, watched full games of him playing and still had questions. The QB spot is the hardest to evaluate, lots of professional scouts get it wrong. I saw what you saw - a baller. But he was inconsistent in his throwing motion, too quick to run, and more athlete than QB. Flex if you want, but it’s his development after he got here that is the most impressive and important. That’s on him and Beck.

In the end, dunking on people who took the time to wrestle publicly with the good and the bad of a prospect is poor form. That’s all.

And rest assured, we’re all aboard the Shrader train now ;)
Am I dunking on people when I note in my preseason progs above I had us going 6-0 to start the season?! Or is that spiking the ball!?

Either way let’s hope the W’s keep coming and I’m wrong on this one upcoming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom