Garrett Williams torn ACL, out for season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams torn ACL, out for season

Hope he and Trill link up and get through this together

Yep. People are thinking old school recovery for ACL. I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently and I think depending on swelling he could go in as soon as a few weeks for surgery and then boom right to rehab. Cisco's recovery was really fast.

No doubt, rehab is much more aggressive than it used to be 20, 30 years ago.

But there's also the readiness factor to consider. It's basically November -- draft is in April, with assessments / evaluations happening well before that. Would he be able to run full speed or perform at the combine in March, 4.5 months away? Might be a little too much to expect.

Given his injury history, I hope Williams makes the jump. But his draft stock certainly would not be optimized, under the current circumstances. He'll have a tough decision.

Either way -- hope he makes a speedy recovery, and gets back to 100%. Would love to see DBU place more guys in the NFL, as something to sell on the recruiting trail.

I believe he will leave. I hope his injury heals the way it is supposed to after a surgery of that magnitude. Good luck to him and his future.

Awful. Really unfortunate.

Wish he hadn't gotten injured on that play against NC State, because that set wheels in motion for what occurred with him rushing back to play Saturday.

I don’t think his thigh bruise had anything to do with this injury. None at all. He was blocking on Carters INT and the guy knocked him over and landed right on his knee.

I don’t think his thigh bruise had anything to do with this injury. None at all. He was blocking on Carters INT and the guy knocked him over and landed right on his knee.

I do, indirectly. Leg injury, playing not at 100%, suffers a more severe leg injury.

Wish he wasn't out on the field at all.

I do, indirectly. Leg injury, playing not at 100%, suffers a more severe leg injury.

Wish he wasn't out on the field at all.

Would have been dumb not to play him. 2 weeks recovery from a thigh bruise isn’t unusual and at no time during the game did he show the effects. And even if he had any injury, it had nothing to do with the defender landing on his bent knee. Unfortunate and freak injury.

Would have been dumb not to play him. 2 weeks recovery from a thigh bruise isn’t unusual and at no time during the game did he show the effects. And even if he had any injury, it had nothing to do with the defender landing on his bent knee. Unfortunate and freak injury.

No way to say that definitively. Maybe he couldn't plant properly to brace himself for the collision, or maybe his leg gave way and / or buckled differently because he wasn't 100%.

Injured players are always at higher risk for further injury, or making existing injuries worse when they are playing at diminished capacity. Which is exactly what happened.

Appears "dumb" to play him through the lens of hindsight. Prior to last Saturday's game, reports suggested that Shrader didn't appear to show any effects from his injury, either, despite how things played out on the field.

And I get why GW played against ND, I'm not suggesting that we shut every player down who has an injury [because then 85% of our roster wouldn't be cleared to play at this point of the season] -- just that I wish he hadn't rushed back. He missed the Clemson game for a reason.

Last edited:
Does Williams come back for next season? Now he won't get drafted and will need to make an NFL team as an UDFA. Or he can come back and potentially get drafted a year later?
Didn’t Andre Cisco tear his ACL when he got collided into during pregame warmups? Jax still drafted him in 2nd round, correct?

Didn’t Andre Cisco tear his ACL when he got collided into during pregame warmups? Jax still drafted him in 2nd round, correct?

He went the 3rd round. Plus...

1. Cisco was a lot better prospect
2. Due to Covid there was no Combine or Pro Days
3. He was ready for preseason camp

Edit

4. He was chosen by a college guy who didn't know what he was doing

Last edited:
Awful news. It was amazing seeing a guy be so good as soon as he was on the field, and just continue to get better and better. He had really made a leap as a run stopper this season.

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Edit

4 a - it was a good pick based on early performance no?

and garrett has routinely been graded higher than Cisco for the past two years in terms of NFL measurements and most analysts.

4 a - it was a good pick based on early performance no?

and garrett has routinely been graded higher than Cisco for the past two years in terms of NFL measurements and most analysts.

Put it this way. If Pitt had a slightly undersized CB who was projected to go in the 3rd round and then tore his ACL, would you be happy if your NFL team chose said player in the first 5 rounds of the draft? Knowing that he wouldn't be ready to play at the start of the season and not knowing how the ACL will impact him as a player?

Honestly I don't think he is as good as Trill, who wasn't drafted.

Edit

No he wasn’t he was never ahead of where Garrett is on boards he did have more picks and a little more attention at SU.

This is awful he should have stayed out and just gone to the draft.

Don’t cover corners who have this type of injury sometimes bulk up and move to safety?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom