Gasaway handicaps the ACC race | Syracusefan.com

Gasaway handicaps the ACC race

moqui

generational talent
John Gasaway has an ESPN Insider piece examining the top contenders in the ACC. He pegs SU as #4, because of concerns about the offense.

Excerpt:

4. Syracuse Orange

The last time you saw Jim Boeheim's team, the Orange were playing some rather incredible defense to reach the Final Four. Don't be surprised if Syracuse is exceptionally tough on D once again in 2013-14 (Rakeem Christmas and Baye Keita will see to that), but my question concerns Boeheim's offense. Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Triche, and James Southerland have all departed, leaving C.J. Fair as the main option for points.
Fair will get help, of course, from Trevor Cooney, DaJuan Coleman, and Jerami Grant (not to mention talented freshmen like Tyler Ennis, Tyler Roberson and B.J. Johnson). I just think Boeheim happens to be hitting the ACC at a moment when his scoring punch will be more of a pesky jab than a knockout blow. Still, there's no doubt that the new arrivals from the Big East -- not just the Orange, but Pitt and Notre Dame as well -- will make their presence felt in an ACC that is not only expanded but significantly strengthened.

He ranks Duke, Virginiaand UNC ahead of the Orange in the Top of the ACC Pecking Order.

Thats a fair assessment- outside of Fair and Baye - we don't really know just how good we will be/not be. I am much more optomistic that we battle for the acc title next year but also realize with so much youth - we have to see how things play out. Given the difficulty of the non-conf sched we should get a good feel early.

Thats a fair assessment- outside of Fair and Baye - we don't really know just how good we will be/not be.

Well... it's not like Baye's a model of consistency really.

I agree with that assessment. Our offense could be epically bad. It could also be surprisingly good. Guard play will determine how successful this team can be. If Ennis and Gbinije come in and play well, this team will have a good chance to win the ACC.​

If Ennis distributes like MCW, and Gbinje/Cooney can shoot the rock from deep like Southie, we will be getting past the 1st(2nd) round in the NCAA. Toss-up after that game though. Because of the lack of experience mostly.

This year could be a lot of fun with some great wins and head scratching losses. Haven't been this uncertain since we went into the 09-10 season, so hoping for a similar pleasant surprise with Gbinije playing the role of Wes.

If Ennis is as good as he's billed to be, some combination of him with Grant, Xmas, Cooney, G, Baye, CJ + the freshmen will make for a pretty solid and exciting team.

If Ennis distributes like MCW, and Gbinje/Cooney can shoot the rock from deep like Southie, we will be getting past the 1st(2nd) round in the NCAA. Toss-up after that game though. Because of the lack of experience mostly.

That's not asking much....

Not to nitpick, but he has Virginia ahead of Syracuse? The same UVA team that lost in the quarterfinals of the NIT?

Not to nitpick, but he has Virginia ahead of Syracuse? The same UVA team that lost in the quarterfinals of the NIT?

That's the questionable one, for sure, but they were 34th in Pomeroy ratings (which you know Gasaway is going to lean pretty heavily on) and th ey bring everyone back except for their PG, who wasn't that good. And Joe Harris is going to be a legit POY candidate in the league. Not saying they will finish ahead of SU, but I think they're going to be a pretty good team this year. Top 15/20, I bet.

He ranks Duke, Virginiaand UNC ahead of the Orange in the Top of the ACC Pecking Order.
I might be misstating Gasaway's intention here . . . he just sees these four teams as the strongest contenders for the ACC title; I don't think he's necessarily predicting this particular order of finish.

A buddy of mine is a die hard NC fan and he said that they will be alright this next year but not as good as some people think. He said without a good point guard their system doesn't work no matter how good the rest of the players are. He claimed the freshman Paige was the key to their entire team and he is a little nervous about him. He also said he is concerned about playing against the zone. He picked Duke and Syracuse to finish 1 and 2 in some order and he hopes NC finishes 3rd. I was kind of suprised.

Boeheim always do what he do.
Yep. He's got a 3 headed Center as good as any in the country. A strong and long 3 forward rotation that has the potential to be as good as any in the country. And an untested, inexperienced backcourt. But he has 5 options in the backcourt and you gotta trust that the HOF'r will find 3 that have a skill set he can use. Ennis is the key. Its asking a lot but if JB can find a couple guys that can make outside shots then I am confident that Ennis is the right player to lead the team as a freshman. Thanks to ESPN I have seen more of Ennis than any other SU incoming freshman ever. What I've seen is a PG that is not just talented but more importantly he's solid. Having one of the deepest frontcourt's in the country will be a big help to Ennis this season.

Boeheim always do what he do.

Don't forget they still got a bad taste of Uconn in they moufs too. That has to account for something.

I'm thinking that next years team is going to be a big time surprise for a lot of people, Gasaway will be among them.
CJ Fair is going to have a monster year. Look for him to take the ball both left and right this coming year. CJ will also be the defacto leader of next years team and will help bring along and mentor the plentiful young talent which will be learning the ropes of the zone. Most people are looking for CJ to assume the mantle of scorer for this coming years team but the real promise of the team lies in all of the unknowns and the potential for those unknowns to really surprise some people.

Look, anyone who watched Grant last year has to have noticed that he is going to be a complete terrorist to the opposition in the very near future. The kid has it all, NBA pedigree, off the chart hops and athleticism and a cool demeanor. Christmas, in his 3rd season will finally have found his "inner fierce" certainly bring a little more of it to the court each game. Coleman- Even Fab sucked his freshman year. The incredible shrinking leash treatment etc... Dejuan is going to make a huge jump this year and could perhaps give us the 1st semblance of scoring from the center position since Arnize. He has great hands, can pass from the center position and just has too much talent to not begin to make his jump. Ennis, WILL BE AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED and will be the best freshman point in the country. By season's end, one of the best in the Nation.

And then there is Gbinje, "Silent G man", former Dookie, been riding the pine for several years now and has considerable talent. Do you not think he is going to play like coach K's worst nightmare ever when we play Duke? Think Wes, less athleticism, better handle, better outside shot, better basketball smarts and REALLY, REALLY hungry to play and play well.

And wait! there's more!.. as if the above isn't reason for optimism, and you aren't yet jumping on the Central NY Orange bandwagon, forget the bandwagon for a moment and hop on the Bus w/ 2 esses. That's BUSS. That stands for Biggest Unknown Syracuse Sensation. Just hope we play Indiana again on our way to our 2nd consecutive Final 4 campaign. Buss will be to Tom Creen what "Silent G Man" will be to K.

Cooney AKA White Hot. I mean he has to have shaken off the Yips by now, right? I think he is going to show people why he was recruited by Syracuse. He will be much better.

Roberson and Johnson. OK, this is part of my point. We are pretty far down the depth chart and this is what we are looking at? OMG!!!! Syracuse Basketball must be in the midst of a serious freakin Renaissance if this is they type of personnel we are talking about at this juncture. Both of these kids have NBA potential. Any question about depth, and depth is a very valuable commodity for sure, should be answered now.

Baye, last but certainly not least. Baye will be the emotional leader of this team with respect to his workman like ethic and setting the tone with respect to intensity on the floor. Baye is the type of player that while perhaps not the best player on the team, you just love him for all he has brought to the program over 4 years. 4 years... not to many 4 year players. Baye surprised people right out of the gate. He is an outstanding icon for Syracuse Basketball. Smart, hard working, caring about others and just a great human being. Any team that has a person like Baye Moussa Kieta to coalesce around... well I like their chances, not just in the ACC but the National Championship Picture as well.

I just can't wait!

I'm thinking that next years team is going to be a big time surprise for a lot of people, Gasaway will be among them.
CJ Fair is going to have a monster year. Look for him to take the ball both left and right this coming year. CJ will also be the defacto leader of next years team and will help bring along and mentor the plentiful young talent which will be learning the ropes of the zone. Most people are looking for CJ to assume the mantle of scorer for this coming years team but the real promise of the team lies in all of the unknowns and the potential for those unknowns to really surprise some people.

Look, anyone who watched Grant last year has to have noticed that he is going to be a complete terrorist to the opposition in the very near future. The kid has it all, NBA pedigree, off the chart hops and athleticism and a cool demeanor. Christmas, in his 3rd season will finally have found his "inner fierce" certainly bring a little more of it to the court each game. Coleman- Even Fab sucked his freshman year. The incredible shrinking leash treatment etc... Dejuan is going to make a huge jump this year and could perhaps give us the 1st semblance of scoring from the center position since Arnize. He has great hands, can pass from the center position and just has too much talent to not begin to make his jump. Ennis, WILL BE AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED and will be the best freshman point in the country. By season's end, one of the best in the Nation.

And then there is Gbinje, "Silent G man", former Dookie, been riding the pine for several years now and has considerable talent. Do you not think he is going to play like coach K's worst nightmare ever when we play Duke? Think Wes, less athleticism, better handle, better outside shot, better basketball smarts and REALLY, REALLY hungry to play and play well.

And wait! there's more!.. as if the above isn't reason for optimism, and you aren't yet jumping on the Central NY Orange bandwagon, forget the bandwagon for a moment and hop on the Bus w/ 2 esses. That's BUSS. That stands for Biggest Unknown Syracuse Sensation. Just hope we play Indiana again on our way to our 2nd consecutive Final 4 campaign. Buss will be to Tom Creen what "Silent G Man" will be to K.

Cooney AKA White Hot. I mean he has to have shaken off the Yips by now, right? I think he is going to show people why he was recruited by Syracuse. He will be much better.

Roberson and Johnson. OK, this is part of my point. We are pretty far down the depth chart and this is what we are looking at? OMG!!!! Syracuse Basketball must be in the midst of a serious freakin Renaissance if this is they type of personnel we are talking about at this juncture. Both of these kids have NBA potential. Any question about depth, and depth is a very valuable commodity for sure, should be answered now.

Baye, last but certainly not least. Baye will be the emotional leader of this team with respect to his workman like ethic and setting the tone with respect to intensity on the floor. Baye is the type of player that while perhaps not the best player on the team, you just love him for all he has brought to the program over 4 years. 4 years... not to many 4 year players. Baye surprised people right out of the gate. He is an outstanding icon for Syracuse Basketball. Smart, hard working, caring about others and just a great human being. Any team that has a person like Baye Moussa Kieta to coalesce around... well I like their chances, not just in the ACC but the National Championship Picture as well.

I just can't wait!

Well, Tee must be busy, or he would give you 1000 likes. We have a lot to be optimistic about, but it's the unknowns... Still, at this stage of the game, the sky's the limit, the sun is shining, our parade shall not be rained upon, the rooster is in the hen house, the moon is in the Seventh House, da Cuse is in the house, and everything's coming up roses for us and our team!

Well, Tee must be busy, or he would give you 1000 likes. We have a lot to be optimistic about, but it's the unknowns... Still, at this stage of the game, the sky's the limit, the sun is shining, our parade shall not be rained upon, the rooster is in the hen house, the moon is in the Seventh House, da Cuse is in the house, and everything's coming up roses for us and our team!
I'm so there.
:)

1.Gbinije and Dajuan. We need atleast one of them to be a strong second scoring option. They need to be secondary go to guys instead of quiet 8.5 ppg players that take the good looks they can get within the motion offense. If both step up we could be top 5 in the country on looks alone.
2. A third guard that can score off the bench and a forward that can score when fair is out.
3. Defensively can Gbinije and Ennis hold their own. JB says Gbinije is a good defender but did he mean at guard? :).
Rebounding :)

Virginia is good and they will likely run the table at home. They are an unbelievably difficult team to beat at JPA during the ACC season. I see them going 8-1 at worst at home and if they can go 6-3 on the road that is 14-4. I don't see UVA going 6-3 on the road though more likely 5-4/4-5 for a 13-5/12-6 record. SU's schedule is ridiculous next year playing Duke x2, Pitt x2, BC(VERY UNDERRATED TEAM AT HOME, I hope we play them mid-week and JB prepares them well), Miami x2. I figure at best we go 6-2 in those 8 games at worst 4-4. UNC, NC State, ND, Ga. Tech, Clemson at home we should go 5-0 at best, 3-2 at worst there. Florida State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Maryland are the road games I am going to say 4-1 at best, 2-3 at worst here. Which is if we get our best results 15-3 and at worst 9-9 so split it in the middle 12-6 and I would rank SU 3rd.
I project the ACC standings
1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Syracuse
4. North Carolina
5. Notre Dame
6. Pittsburgh
7. Maryland
8. North Carolina State
9. Wake Forest
10. Georgia Tech
11. Boston College
12. Florida State
13. Miami
14. Clemson

Does North Carolina drop further without Hairston? I think so.