Gehrig Deiters (Bowling Green WR transfer to Bama) on college sports on Sirius | Syracusefan.com

Gehrig Deiters (Bowling Green WR transfer to Bama) on college sports on Sirius

Ish88888

All American
Interesting interview this morning with this kid and the college tour staff. He talked about Dino's offense the last few years. This kid was a stud reciever in Dinos system and when asked about the transition from Dino to the Bama offense he responded with...there is no playbook with dino , there are only 15-20 offensive plays that are perfected, and its all about repetition. I love the approach with simplification and letting kids read and play football. Thus, i dont buy into the 2 year transition. We can win now with this approach!

Ish88888 said:
Interesting interview this morning with this kid and the college tour staff. He talked about Dino's offense the last few years. This kid was a stud reciever in Dinos system and when asked about the transition from Dino to the Bama offense he responded with...there is no playbook with dino , there are only 15-20 offensive plays that are perfected, and its all about repetition. I love the approach with simplification and letting kids read and play football. Thus, i dont buy into the 2 year transition. We can win now with this approach!

Yep. The idea that if it's complicated, it must be good is meathead football.

I think the 2 year thing is based on tempo and QB/WR reads on defensive formation and reactions. I think this season we might execute the scheme well but not as fast as we can. Next year we will execute and do it at a faster tempo.

Last edited:
i think you are under estimating "perfected". I think it is possible to go from "unfamiliar" to "very good" or "proficient" execution of Dino's system in the span of a year. That last little bit from "proficient" to "perfected" I think takes time, as it needs to become second nature and there is no substitute for plain old time and repetition. I say this not to be pessimistic about this season, but to whet the appetite for the possibilities of the following season.

I think the 2 year thing is based on tempo and QB/WR reads on defensive formation and reactions. I think this season we might execute the scheme well but not as fast as we can. Next year we will execute and do it at a faster tempo.
And yet, we'll still probably get far more plays out than McF***it ever could.

And yet, we'll still probably get far more plays out than McF***it ever could.
What made him so cocky anyway? I don't get. Is it the - act like you're the best before you've done anything so that other people will believe it too - trait that is so prevalent in my generation and younger?

What made him so cocky anyway? I don't get. Is it the - act like you're the best before you've done anything so that other people will believe it too - trait that is so prevalent in my generation and younger?
That's a great theory. It was obvious he was in over his head, and the best way for him to bust out of that was to talk a big game.

Fake it til you make it.

That's a great theory. It was obvious he was in over his head, and the best way for him to bust out of that was to talk a big game.
I feel like that was his personality before he got here. Baseless confidence is a growing epidemic.

I feel like that was his personality before he got here. Baseless confidence is a growing epidemic.
Or he knew he was in over his head, and took the promotion anyway. The things we do for money!

Or he knew he was in over his head, and took the promotion anyway. The things we do for money!
Could be. Seems pretty short sighted though. Better to learn your craft and advance when the time is right than take a money grab for a job you know you're not ready for. I think he just had way too much confidence in himself and he didn't know when to shut up as he dug his hole deeper.

Last edited:
sufandu said:
Could be. Seems pretty short sighted though. Better to learn your craft and advance when the time is right than take a money grab for a job you know you're not ready for. I think he just had way too much confidence in himself and he didn't when to shut up as he dug his hole deeper.

This seems likely. I don't mind confidence, but you'd better have a plan that works and/or a plan to shift if it doesn't work. He doubled down way too many times.

This seems likely. I don't mind confidence, but you'd better have a plan that works and/or a plan to shift if it doesn't work. He doubled down way too many times.
And recognize when you've done a poor job, accept your demotion quietly, and learn from it.

Ish88888 said:

So something like this coming out of 10 different formations that causes gaudy scoring numbers.

images-2.pngimages-1.png

I can be entertained by that for many years!

Should've followed Babers to Syracuse.

National championships are fun, but posting huge numbers and inflating your NFL stock is more financially advantageous.

i think you are under estimating "perfected". I think it is possible to go from "unfamiliar" to "very good" or "proficient" execution of Dino's system in the span of a year. That last little bit from "proficient" to "perfected" I think takes time, as it needs to become second nature and there is no substitute for plain old time and repetition. I say this not to be pessimistic about this season, but to whet the appetite for the possibilities of the following season.

Infante on ESPN Radio yesterday at around lunch time had an interview with Babers that will be on Orange Nation on Tuesday. He played a few excerpts from the interview.

Paraphrasing Babers here from what I remember ..."We have done this 2 times before and this team has done more and better than previous teams in the S&C program, done more work than he has seen in the 2 previous stops, as well as run more plays in the Spring scrimmage and both Fall scrimmages so far"

In My mind mind, combine that with the fact that our talent is far better than BGSU and I think we are "going to surprise some people."

From that comment I have high hopes for this team THIS year.

He also said that on gameday he lets the kids play, it's their day to take the forefront and show what they can do. He stays very calm on the exterior on gameday but is like a volcano on the inside and for us to see that part of him would take some really really really awful referees.

We might get to see that with the ACC refs based on past performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom