Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Whoops was looking at a deadline for summer graduation. Guess he's already graduated then...

Yeah, he's either graduated already or in Summer session A which goes until end of June. Only know that for sure because my wife is enrolled in this session.

Well with Ayala waiting til August I think it's time for Thorpe to take a visit and we offer and get this guy on campus and get him learning the zone don't want to wait 2 more months, need Thorpe now!!!
Why do we need him now? This is the opposite of the QG green recruitment in that we have all of the leverage. Until Thorpe gives an ultimatum, we have the luxury of waiting for Ayala to decide. And even then JB might call Thorpe's bluff (in which case he better be right).

Anyone good at Photoshop? I just want a nice picture that says:

G Geno Thorpe USF Grad Transfer
Signed to Syracuse

Anyone good at Photoshop? I just want a nice picture that says:

G Geno Thorpe USF Grad Transfer
Signed to Syracuse
For what possible reason would you want that?

I think people are really sleeping on Moyer's game. Plus, we are focused on recruiting so it makes sense.

He's not being talked about much. Well, only when he's recruiting others.

It seems, to me, that many think he has minimal offensive capabilities outside of some ability down low. But, it looks like he has worked hard, and knowing him, he has. I think he will surprise with his ability to shoot, and score.

He was terrible before his injury. I was kind of shocked. In HS, he was like Roberson or Terrence Roberts, a hard working guy inside with some scoring ability, but a great motor. He was out of shape last fall, compared to the other guys. He might not have been here for the early summer session; I can't remember now. But man, he was lost out there, the little bit we did see him before he hurt his ankle.

He was terrible before his injury. I was kind of shocked. In HS, he was like Roberson or Terrence Roberts, a hard working guy inside with some scoring ability, but a great motor. He was out of shape last fall, compared to the other guys. He might not have been here for the early summer session; I can't remember now. But man, he was lost out there, the little bit we did see him before he hurt his ankle.

Are you talking about Moyer? He hurt his foot before the season and practice ever started. He couldn't practice or workout for quite a while. It put him way behind which was why he was out of shape and didn't have a great grasp on the system.

Yeah freshmen always integrate immediately

because our defensive scheme takes months and years to learn... like how to guess which open shooter to tag.
Meh, Gillon signed at the beginning of May and I'm pretty sure he was on campus for the early summer session. Aside from one huge play, his defense was nothing special (regardless of his height). We don't want Thorpe arriving right before class starts like AW3, but I don't see late June vs. late July as make or break. I believe Thorpe has some experience playing zone anyway, which will give him more of a leg up than an extra 30 days during the summer.

Meh, Gillon signed at the beginning of May and I'm pretty sure he was on campus for the early summer session. Aside from one huge play, his defense was nothing special (regardless of his height). We don't want Thorpe arriving right before class starts like AW3, but I don't see late June vs. late July as make or break. I believe Thorpe has some experience playing zone anyway, which will give him more of a leg up than an extra 30 days during the summer.

Gillon's issues where more than just knowing the defense. He was too easy to see, pass and shot over. It's one of the reasons we got picked apart so often IMO. Howard for a second year player was also rather bad but he does have the size.

Last edited:
Or he didn't give effort at times...
It's a combo of both. While some of his issues were out of his control (size), the effort on D wasn't always consistent. There were times he was very slow to get out towards a shooter or lackadaisical in cutting off the lane.

I think Thorpe's size would give him a huge advantage over Gillon's and if the effort is there, it's hard to see him being anywhere near as bad as JG and FH were last year.

Any updates on where things stand with Geno? Are we trying to schedule him for a visit? Are we waiting on Ayala until EYBL is over before offering? I was trying to catch up reading the threads but have seen conflicting opinions. Anyone have a pulse on how this process is playing out?

Any updates on where things stand with Geno? Are we trying to schedule him for a visit? Are we waiting on Ayala until EYBL is over before offering? I was trying to catch up reading the threads but have seen conflicting opinions. Anyone have a pulse on how this process is playing out?

Ayala plays on the UA circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom