George McDonald, still irked by Pitt loss discusses growth as a play-caller heading into Year 2 (PS) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

George McDonald, still irked by Pitt loss discusses growth as a play-caller heading into Year 2 (PS)

I watched that match-up exclusively during the game. McKinney always had help from a TE or chip block from a RB. There were, maybe, 5-7 passing plays where Freeney wasn't doubled and those were 3-step drop-backs with quick passes. Miami's entire offense scheme was designed to slow down DF.

Mckinnie held every play

As one who has led the charge of the Coach P "CW" over the years I was waiting for your comment.

It's always enjoyable jousting with you.

So, here goes.

I didn't blame the Pitt loss on the coaches.

I actually agreed that Donald single handily won that game.

What I said was that the SU coaching was as bad as I have ever seen.

The coaches made a series of tactical mistakes that failed to put the team in a position to win. The article that prompted the observation was about McDonald's acknowledgment that he had a bad game. So, I think its unfair to suggest that I conjured the observation out of some partisan cloud of air.

As far as P is concerned I guess based upon the "Jake Rule" Coach P was 100% responsible for the 100+ wins, multiple BE Championships, wins over Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, and Auburn, and trips to the Fiesta, Orange, Gator, Liberty, and other bowls - and as an assistant coach was at least partially responsible for the Sugar, Hall of Fame, and Aloha Bowls.

Nice talking to you Jake!
You called it "The Most Poorly Coached Game I Have Ever Seen By An SU Team" - it was a 1 point loss to a bowl team from a P5 conference that happened to have a dominant player on the defense.

and yet when others cited a game where SU lost to a team that was 0-9 that season against all D1A schools they played not named Syracuse (including blowout losses to 2 MAC teams and a first year in 1A UConn team) you said that loss was not due to poor coaching or poor tactical decisions.

it's simply bizarre to me your inability to acknowledge even 1 game where Coach P did a poor job, even though there are plenty that are at least as egregious as the game you readily declared the most poorly coached game you ever saw.

OrangePA said:
As one who has led the charge of the Coach P "CW" over the years I was waiting for your comment. It's always enjoyable jousting with you. So, here goes. I didn't blame the Pitt loss on the coaches. I actually agreed that Donald single handily won that game. What I said was that the SU coaching was as bad as I have ever seen. The coaches made a series of tactical mistakes that failed to put the team in a position to win. The article that prompted the observation was about McDonald's acknowledgment that he had a bad game. So, I think its unfair to suggest that I conjured the observation out of some partisan cloud of air. As far as P is concerned I guess based upon the "Jake Rule" Coach P was 100% responsible for the 100+ wins, multiple BE Championships, wins over Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, and Auburn, and trips to the Fiesta, Orange, Gator, Liberty, and other bowls - and as an assistant coach was at least partially responsible for the Sugar, Hall of Fame, and Aloha Bowls. Nice talking to you Jake!

I think your post betters my position in this argument than mine.

Thanks.

OrangePA said:
So lets see. I had been watching SU Football for 23 years before you even came on the scene. I'll take my knowledge base over yours. Sorry. Just so you're clear. I am a very strong supporter of Coach Shafer. And, I suspect that I have a greater overall knowledge base about him than you do. I was simply agreeing with Coach McDonald - a person for whom I have a great deal of respect - that the coaching effort versus Pitt was really bad. Indeed, that is why the article about that game was published. Hopefully, that places my observations in better context for you.

So in those 45 years you saw a *lot* of crappy SU football, and that game was *the worst* coaching you've ever seen.

Got it.

OrangeMojo said:
You called it "The Most Poorly Coached Game I Have Ever Seen By An SU Team" - it was a 1 point loss to a bowl team from a P5 conference that happened to have a dominant player on the defense. and yet when others cited a game where SU lost to a team that was 0-9 that season against all D1A schools they played not named Syracuse (including blowout losses to 2 MAC teams and a first year in 1A UConn team) you said that loss was not due to poor coaching or poor tactical decisions. it's simply bizarre to me your inability to acknowledge even 1 game where Coach P did a poor job, even though there are plenty that are at least as egregious as the game you readily declared the most poorly coached game you ever saw.

Did they just give up the Alamo? He can't come down from this ledge he's built for himself. No surrender!!!

uhhhhh and maybe miami and mckinnie...

McKinnie held every single play. Every. Single. Play.

And there were several instances were Dwight beat him, only to be dragged down from behind in blatant holds that weren't called.

What a clown McKinnie was--but the refs swallowed their whistles that game, because Freeney beat him like a drum.

As long as McDonald realizes what he could have done better and learns from it I'm fine with it. I hated that Pitt loss but it happens. Nothing worse than a coach saying that he didn't do anything wrong and continue to go along his merry way making the same mistakes.

SmilinBob said:
As long as McDonald realizes what he could have done better and learns from it I'm fine with it. I hated that Pitt loss but it happens. Nothing worse than a coach saying that he didn't do anything wrong and continue to go along his merry way making the same mistakes.

Agreed.

The staff was getting their sea legs last year and managed to eek out 7 wins and a bowl game. Could've been worse.

It's not like he had been on the job 14 years, was adamant that the plan was totally sound, just needed to watch the film and have the team execute better. ;)

Sherman and Peabody 2000.png

"Sherman, your claim that this argument has been going on since 2000 is confirmed. Quite remarkable. Well done!"

He was pretty terrible last year as an OC i think that Lester saved his arse towards the end lets hope that he improves in his soph season