Georgetown Game... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Game...

This is a say day for the program but its clear the tide has turned against Desko. From Anish openly pontificating about SU having to consider a change on National TV to Axe and other media members openly calling for a change. Wildhack is going to be in an untenable position if alumni start speaking out.
What a challenging position for the AD to be in. 2 weeks ago there was an outpouring of support and demonstrative respect for Desko due to the behind the scenes activities of the Scanlan debacle. Now the wheels appear to have come off the bus and the media are clamoring.

I see three options -
1. The "Easy" button
The seemingly easy button says "It's a Covid year, players couldn't practice, no fall ball, quarantine, scheduling, etc. etc." but in light of the Scanlan issue, the pre-season Covid party issue, etc. the AD could be feeling pressure from above... Does keeping the status quo just kick the can down the road a bit and does that cause problems for the Trustees with the off field issues?

2. The Reset button
Or, do you hit reset and have faith in the process? It presents a lot of unknowns but makes a statement about nobody being bigger than the program.

3. Shake up the defense and recruiting (again). Last year the offense got shook up with the addition of March, and in March's defense, he didn't get a normal year to implement a new offense. One could easily argue it's still a work in progress. Recruiting does look like its trending upward - he flipped Hiltz, Spallina is on his way... Desko has already shrewdly acknowledged the defense needs to be evaluated (coach speak for - needs to be fixed). A change there breathes some much needed fresh air into the program and hopefully adds more on the recruiting front. Does it address the off field issues?

It will be interesting to see which option gets selected. Maybe there is an unknown 4th option but my guess is #3.

As I said earlier, I think JW goes with option #1 and hopes Desktop can pull the plane out of the nose dive. I for one think it's time. I would start with Shay.

Just like Jim Boeheim, I believe John Desko has earned the right to go out on his own terms.
Just like Jim Boeheim, I wish it had happened two years ago.
Just like Jim Boeheim, John Desko will be the Syracuse coach next year.
Nope

I'm not up on lax terminology, but the unforced turnovers we make (and there were a few costly ones on Saturday) are things we don't see Notre Dame, others doing. Georgetown looked far more disciplined.

100%! I mean, when is the last time anyone has seen an "in and out" of the crease violation by the goalie after making a save, which Porter was guilty of? That unforced turnover led directly to yet another goal. Simply stunning!

Just like Jim Boeheim, I believe John Desko has earned the right to go out on his own terms.
given:
- rise in recruiting
- covid challenges
- injuries
- maybe largest of all - desko taking the scanlan hit

this is not straightforward at all. some random media takes don't change that. no one here knows what "the majority" of those in influence have to say.

maybe some tea leaves on desko having to turn over staff recently.
if i were to guess, some ultimatums might've been laid out in 2019 for '20. but i doubt they were (to any same degree) in '21 coming off of '20. it may come down to influencers and their side and what the scanlan 20/20 hindsight view is from what was known about him by coaches dating back a ways.

Face it, we’re no longer more talented than a number of teams we play, and that’s been true for many years. So now coaching really matters.

Desko's roll the ball not relevant in this environment.

100%! I mean, when is the last time anyone has seen an "in and out" of the crease violation by the goalie after making a save, which Porter was guilty of? That unforced turnover led directly to yet another goal. Simply stunning!
What's stunning is that the refs blew that call - in the replay, he did not go in and out.

He did, stepped on line . Refs (and announcers) blew it on Curry call unless one profanity encouraging teammates is now a penalty.

Biting my tongue. Gtown was the better team but Cuse could have easily been tied at halftime. Thought expectations coming in were too high and cringed at chip or bust mentions but still should have been a better season given talent. The talent and character of 21 returnees will be missed, c19 environment was difficult for all but the 21 team also had to deal with a adversial admin all year long that had to affect focus as well as prep. 22 team should enjoy relative normalcy without any unnecessary interferences . Still good core of talent that can bounce and hopefully some step in and perform as Seebold and Olexo did when called upon. Rarely discussed but envious watching the quick releases upfield off saves of others that jumpstart transition. Should see improvement in that facet next year , just wish Dearth were here to capitalize. Portal on trend to be loaded with talent to recruit from, target quality rather than quantity. There does need to be org. clarifications sooner than later, not helpful to leave that hanging for current players or prospective recruits

I also think the goalie and defense should be cut some slack - Porter faced more shots in the last month than some face in a season. When you factor in total shots and shots on goal, the defense was not only depleted but tired and mentally worn down. And Cuse faced 4 out of the 5 Tewaaraton finalists with an injured and depleted defense - we mercifully didn't have to play Bernhardt.

I would save your criticism for the offensive coordinator March whose offense managed a total of 4 goals by the end of the 3rd quarter against Georgetown. Bellarmine could have done better on offense. 4 goals doesn't win you any games in D1.

He did, stepped on line . Refs (and announcers) blew it on Curry call unless one profanity encouraging teammates is now a penalty.

Biting my tongue. Gtown was the better team but Cuse could have easily been tied at halftime. Thought expectations coming in were too high and cringed at chip or bust mentions but still should have been a better season given talent. The talent and character of 21 returnees will be missed, c19 environment was difficult for all but the 21 team also had to deal with a adversial admin all year long that had to affect focus as well as prep. 22 team should enjoy relative normalcy without any unnecessary interferences . Still good core of talent that can bounce and hopefully some step in and perform as Seebold and Olexo did when called upon. Rarely discussed but envious watching the quick releases upfield off saves of others that jumpstart transition. Should see improvement in that facet next year , just wish Dearth were here to capitalize. Portal on trend to be loaded with talent to recruit from, target quality rather than quantity. There does need to be org. clarifications sooner than later, not helpful to leave that hanging for current players or prospective recruits
We agree to disagree. My point is that if there is anyone who could be forgiven for being under constant pressure and making an error, it is the defense and goalie.
While some would say that the coaches should have made a goalie change during the last few games, I'm sure they felt that putting Thompson into a shooting gallery was not what was needed for his development. And there was no evidence that we could win enough face-offs or execute on offense to turn those games around. Evaluating Porter's performance was very difficult in the midst of repeated defensive meltdowns. Even in the Georgetown game, he had to face man down situations late in the 4th which were adding insult to injury for any goalie.

What goes up...must come down. Everything reverts to the mean. Even Rome, Greece, SU’s NC in 1959.

What goes up...must come down. Everything reverts to the mean. Even Rome, Greece, SU’s NC in 1959.

We're the Yankees.

MLB leading 27 World Series titles.

But none since 2009. :(

Theoretically we could be looking at a scenario where the Big 3 in the SUAD are all looking for new HC’s next year. Btw, i think Desko gets one more shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom