Georgetown Game... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Game...

Decades ago , Cuse went to Final Fours...
Then it was, CUSE winning many 1 goal games...
Now, Cuse gets "dumptrucked" 5 times in 13 games.

I heard the guys calling the game last night. One remarked that CUSE was #1 at the end of last season. The other stated CUSE didn't play anybody last season.
Strength and conditioning, adjustments, game planning, recruiting...the "game" has left
this program in the dust.

I heard the guys calling the game last night. One remarked that CUSE was #1 at the end of last season. The other stated CUSE didn't play anybody last season.

They are both right.

We were ranked #1 when the plug was pulled on the season.

We hadn't played any ACC teams yet, nor had we played at Rutgers, at Cornell, or at Albany. We just beat up Colgate, Bingo, Army, Hobart, and a bad Hopkins team.

Who knows how 2020 plays out. I think if Mellen got healthy, we had one of the best defenses in the country.

Really frustrating season. I’m usually up for watching all the games but this team lost me around the first ND game and I just couldn’t get back into the season.
I think Desko gets one more season and it better be magical.
I think the Army game told us all we needed to know.

I remember when we jumped out to an early lead in the first game against ND, someone in the GDT posted something to the effect of “we’re just a better team”...yeah, not so much.

as has seemed to be the case with SU sports of late, the off-field/court drama impacted the on-field/court performance. Combined with desko’s uninspired, laissez faire coaching style, and here we are. Just a sad state of affairs.

Decades ago , Cuse went to Final Fours...
Then it was, CUSE winning many 1 goal games...
Now, Cuse gets "dumptrucked" 5 times in 13 games.

Too inconsistent. Blowing out teams then getting blown out are usually the first signs of trouble in a program. And when the shock of a blowout starts to dissipate and becomes commonplace, that’s when you're up in it.
Used to look forward to a couple of beers and Cuse Final 4’s on Memorial Day. That ritual is officially done. -sigh-

Last edited:
Doubtful. Appears to be more fan, than boss.
This might be the only board on the site where questioning the AD doesn't get you flamed. I am on record, his record doesn't start until JB and Desko and maybe Dino hires are made.

Once upon a time, General Motors had nearly 60% of the market share. Once upon a time, Syracuse University lacrosse made it to 22 straight championship weekends. Today, they are both a shell of themselves relative to their respective crafts and standing.

Once upon a time, General Motors had nearly 60% of the market share. Once upon a time, Syracuse University lacrosse made it to 22 straight championship weekends. Today, they are both a shell of themselves relative to their respective crafts and standing.

I realize getting to championship weekend every year like we used to is probably not realistic. But my expectation is at least once every graduating class. That's every 4 years - it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. And so many of the losses were just flat out uncompetitive. That's just not acceptable in my view.

I didn't really expect them to win last night but was hoping they'd make it competitive. That was the Hoyas first tournament win since 2007 wow. I feel bad for the seniors that came back. Yeah they put up 21 against RM but outside of the second UVA game the last month has just felt so uncompetitive. Yeah maybe the Scanlan situation affected them or maybe they're not nearly talented as people think they are.
I think Syracuse is falling into the same situation as Hopkins. Both schools have only made 1 FF in the last decade and both have been repeatably bounced in the 1st round.

This might be the only board on the site where questioning the AD doesn't get you flamed. I am on record, his record doesn't start until JB and Desko and maybe Dino hires are made.
Shouldn’t he also be judged on the moves he doesn’t make? What if all 3 stay for the next 10 years with the same results? Shouldn’t that be on his ”record”?

Last edited:
Throwing a flag in the box when a team getting smashed vulgarly disagrees with your call is soft.

Most refs would warn the bench to cut the crap.
What Curry said that got caught by TV audio was the straw that broke the camel's back. The ref made the right call for a hold on Hiltz, and both Rehfuss and Curry had something to say afterwards. I re-winded while watching because I thought they were chirping at a Georgetown player, but that was not the case. Unlike Rehfuss, who will stay on the field in his half during the penalty, Curry is running off the field at the same time the ref is going to the table to officially announce Hiltz' penalty.

Who knows what he could have continued to say in ear shot of the ref before what he said while on the sideline was captured loud and clear. Refs have to draw a line at some point. Curry also had a clear slash that was called later. He was rightfully frustrated, but lost his cool, which I would expect less from a captain. I think Quint was spot on saying he was surprised Desko did not call a timeout to settle the guys down (we took two second half timeouts home with us) when it was clear they were unravelling from a behavior standpoint staring at the scoreline while the clock ticks down on their season.

Interesting watching the Loyola/Denver game. Toomey continues to demonstrate why he is one of the best coaches period. Not a lot of the elite talent in D1 goes to Loyola but he always seems to get the most of good to very good players. The offense and defense looked poised and disciplined.
I had a chuckle when they talked about Loyola's keeper Shafer making 16 saves. Porter has been dumped on, but he made 15 saves in a shooting gallery yesterday against a strong Georgetown offense led by Carraway. Loyola's offense was the difference scoring 14 while Cuse struggled to score the entire game. Are we to believe that Loyola's offense is more talented than ours??

Our defense and Porter played against 4 of the top 5 Tewaaraton candidates this year, missing only Bernhardt. Our offense played against the best defenses and goalies in the country. We needed great coaching to take that on.

The lack of consistency by Cuse was frustrating all season and I refuse to put the bulk of blame on the players. How would we have done with Toomey and Van Arsdale running our team? I think we know the answer.

i shut it down at half time. knew what i was watching and frankly seen too much off it already this season.
I hear ya. Unfortunately, I've gotten far too comfortable turning off games at halftime as well. The quality just isn't there.

This is a say day for the program but its clear the tide has turned against Desko. From Anish openly pontificating about SU having to consider a change on National TV to Axe and other media members openly calling for a change. Wildhack is going to be in an untenable position if alumni start speaking out.
I agree, it is sad.

And I think it's a little ironic that the team's lack of discipline (aka Desko's "hands off" approach) is one of the things critics drill him for in 2021.

IIRC, when Desko took over the level of discipline he instituted was quite a culture shock compared to Slugger's approach.

I think Wildhack is already in an untenable position with the program - he's making a difficult decision whatever the outcome.

I agree, it is sad.

And I think it's a little ironic that the team's lack of discipline (aka Desko's "hands off" approach) is one of the things critics drill him for in 2021.

IIRC, when Desko took over the level of discipline he instituted was quite a culture shock compared to Slugger's approach.

I think Wildhack is already in an untenable position with the program - he's making a difficult decision whatever the outcome.

Agreed, there has been a small vocal minority who has been asking for a change for the last 3-5 years but now that minority has turned into the majority and now that the media is calling for a change, the status quo will not hold. I can only imagine the emails and calls Wildhack is taking today and took this weekend. He's going to need to do something or its going to get a lot worse.

Your comment about discipline is an intriguing one and one that I think get's lost when you consider where the elite teams of D1 are now versus when Desko took over.

I'm not up on lax terminology, but the unforced turnovers we make (and there were a few costly ones on Saturday) are things we don't see Notre Dame, others doing. Georgetown looked far more disciplined.

Agreed, and if you do see teams like ND and Duke making them its usually an outlier that is corrected, for SU its a pattern that we seem almost every game. Tim Barbers tweet about coaching versus talent seems particularly relevant to your point.

I'm not up on lax terminology, but the unforced turnovers we make (and there were a few costly ones on Saturday) are things we don't see Notre Dame, others doing. Georgetown looked far more disciplined.
I've said this a number of times this season... there were too many games where it was painfully obvious we are not a fundamentally sound team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom