Georgetown Rivalry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Rivalry

Speculate much?

Yeah, I'm certain the reason why 'Cuse vs. G'Town isn't yet on the books is because Gross wants the Hoyas to change the way they sell tickets.

There's no other excuse.

That has to be it. Oh Lord

Not so sure about that.

One of the reasons that schools schedule away games in certain areas is so that they can stay close to their alumni. GU making it near impossible for SU fans to get tickets remves that incentive for playing them.

Speculate much?

Yeah, I'm certain the reason why 'Cuse vs. G'Town isn't yet on the books is because Gross wants the Hoyas to change the way they sell tickets.

There's no other excuse.

Disagree with my opinion all you want but I am making a reasonable inference based on how Georgetown has been behaved towards us. If you have more information as to why the games haven't been scheduled please let us know. This is a messageboard no where does it say we can't come up with reasonable opinions.

Speculate much?

There's no other excuse.

Scoff if you want, and there may be some speculation in the post you were responding to. But GT's unfortunate refusal to release tickets so that SU fans can get into the Verizon IS a factor. As well it should be.

Since SU is out of the BE as of July, they are no longer bound by the disastrous "minimum allotment" provision in the BE contract ... which is the technicality that allowed GT to send us 141 tickets to a 20,000 seat arena and give the rest away to the homeless (i'm not kidding) after they were picked over by the dwindling GT rabble.

So yes, ticket policy is actually a factor ... and thank god. The grey 0ut was a 'spit-in-your-fact' policy that epitomized Lee Reed's petty and unsportsmanlike attitude towards SU.

Scoff if you want, and there may be some speculation in the post you were responding to. But GT's unfortunate refusal to release tickets so that SU fans can get into the Verizon IS a factor. As well it should be.

Since SU is out of the BE as of July, they are no longer bound by the disastrous "minimum allotment" provision in the BE contract ... which is the technicality that allowed GT to send us 141 tickets to a 20,000 seat arena and give the rest away to the homeless (i'm not kidding) after they were picked over by the dwindling GT rabble.

So yes, ticket policy is actually a factor ... and thank god. The grey 0ut was a 'spit-in-your-fact' policy that epitomized Lee Reed's petty and unsportsmanlike attitude towards SU.

Georgetown is on the horns of a dilemma here. So while it may appear "Petty" and "unsportsmanlike" to outsiders, if you walk in their shoes it might look different to you.

We can all agree that Georgetown likes and needs more full arenas versus the half-full Verizon Center they have for most of their games.

So they want to sell tickets.

But it is no doubt embarrassing and infuriating to have half the crowd pulling loudly for the way out-of-town competition. It is a negative for their players and their fans and it points out the great weakness in their program ... a lack of a fan base of any size.

You can hardly blame them for that.

Some are optimistic about the future of the New Big East (Catholic 7 + 3) but I think there's a lot of nervousness. It's very possible the thing could fall flat on its face.

So who they play and the perception of how they do is going to be very, very important to them ... especially in the first few years. When any of them play a big OOC game against a name opponent, they damn sure want to win to affect the National view of the Catholic 7 + 3

So they are sitting on three horns of a dilemma. They want ticket revenue, but they don't want to be out-cheered at home. They want big games, but they can't afford to lose too many of them

Georgetown is on the horns of a dilemma here. So while it may appear "Petty" and "unsportsmanlike" to outsiders, if you walk in their shoes it might look different to you.

So it's ok to screw SU fans out of tickets because GT's fan base is so weak?

Maybe you meant this toung-in-cheek. I hope so, because: 1) The Verizon is not a GT venue -- it's a public facility owned by a GT grad; and 2) excluding rival fans from the Verizon because your own fan-base won't attend is bizarre and unsportsmanlike.

Maybe what you meant to say was, there is no good excuse for this kind of "policy", no matter how pathetic GT's fans are. That I could understand.

Or maybe you could suggest to Lee Reed that he try lowering ticket prices, offering free beer to Hoya fans, or holding better pre-game festivities??? I don't know and I don't care what his options are. All I know is that giving tickets away to the homeless to shut out Syracuse fans insults "Jesuit Values" and punishes the wrong fan base.

We can all agree that Georgetown likes and needs more full arenas versus the half-full Verizon Center they have for most of their games.

So they want to sell tickets.

But it is no doubt embarrassing and infuriating to have half the crowd pulling loudly for the way out-of-town competition. It is a negative for their players and their fans and it points out the great weakness in their program ... a lack of a fan base of any size.

Some are optimistic about the future of the New Big East (Catholic 7 + 3) but I think there's a lot of nervousness. It's very possible the thing could fall flat on its face.

So who they play and the perception of how they do is going to be very, very important to them ... especially in the first few years. When any of them play a big OOC game against a name opponent, they damn sure want to win to affect the National view of the Catholic 7 + 3

So they are sitting on three horns of a dilemma. They want ticket revenue, but they don't want to be out-cheered at home. They want big games, but they can't afford to lose too many of them

If this is truly their mindset (and you might have nailed it), their best move might be to get some home and homes against some national powers who would be less likely to bring a ton of people. PAC-10, Gonzaga, or anyone else not inside a thousand mile radius :rolling:

Solution to the problem with Maryland gone next year is: ACC permanently holds it's tournament in the Verizon Center. SU would hold it's own for fan attendance and "ACC tournament coming to you live from the nation's capital in the Verizon Center!"

Then no need to play GU anymore. Course, if the owner of the Verizon Center is a GU grad, not sure he takes the $$ over the GU rep hit that the Verizon Center is GU's home.

Solution to the problem with Maryland gone next year is: ACC permanently holds it's tournament in the Verizon Center. SU would hold it's own for fan attendance and "ACC tournament coming to you live from the nation's capital in the Verizon Center!"

Then no need to play GU anymore. Course, if the owner of the Verizon Center is a GU grad, not sure he takes the $$ over the GU rep hit that the Verizon Center is GU's home.
Well, if he is a Georgetown grad, it is pretty likely he doesn't care about Georgetown basketball, just like the rest of us.

If this is truly their mindset (and you might have nailed it), their best move might be to get some home and homes against some national powers who would be less likely to bring a ton of people. PAC-10, Gonzaga, or anyone else not inside a thousand mile radius :rolling:

That might be a good strategy. The idea would be to pull in unaligned basketball fans by giving them a chance to see good teams they wouldn't be able to see in-person otherwise. Years ago, I went to watch UNLV play at GU in the USAir Arena (1985?). I just wanted to watch UNLV in person.

Unfortunately, the seats to watch these "good games featuring out of town teams you wouldn't normally get to see" aren't very good. Lots of SU fans cram the upper tiers of the Verizon Center to watch the beloved Orange from afar.

I'd like to watch Arizona State or Gonzaga or UCLA ... but I'm not sure I'd be happy watching them from the rafters of the Verizon Center.

So GU might have to change its seating policy around too, giving its small fan base seats further away from the action.

Kudos to you for thinking of a possible way that GU might pump up gate receipts while avoiding the dreaded "take over" of their home gym by partisans of teams with actual local fan bases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom