Georgia has stipends? | Syracusefan.com

Georgia has stipends?

sounds like a tradition type of thing as I highly doubt a freshmen comes up with this on his own doings.

sounds like a tradition type of thing as I highly doubt a freshmen comes up with this on his own doings.
did you read the article? For one, only one player was a freshman (the others were 1 jr, 1 RS soph, and 1 RS freshman). The players deposited the checks with a mobile checking ap and then quickly cashed the checks at a convenience store. Not exactly a sophisticated scheme and exactly the kind of thing dumb kids do. To top it off, the UGA finance department noticed and notified the authorities. How do you conclude this is a tradition type of thing?

All college kids get stipends if they receive full financial aid packages. Their is an estimated bill for attendance per year and the financial aid office will fill that aid with scholarships, loans, tap, pell etc... unless you turn down all or any part of it. This bill includes estimated books, housing, tuition, travel money, etc... After a few weeks of class, the bursars office deducts tuition, meal plans (if required), on campus housing etc... The remaining package comes to you in a form of a check. Yearly attendance at SUNY Cortland for undergraduate is around 20k with tuition and other fees only equaling about 10k. That 10k will come to me about 5k each semester within the first semester of the month. If I was fully funded through grants and scholarships I would in essence be getting paid.

Those who argue that athletes don't get paid are wrong. Is it comparable to the billions made for other people... no but their is a form of payment. These men might be facing federal offences along with the fraudulent cashing of the teammates check. This could be serious for them. Sad that something so stupid at a young age could haunt them for life.

Looks like someone in the finance department is getting fired soon.

All college kids get stipends if they receive full financial aid packages. Their is an estimated bill for attendance per year and the financial aid office will fill that aid with scholarships, loans, tap, pell etc... unless you turn down all or any part of it. This bill includes estimated books, housing, tuition, travel money, etc... After a few weeks of class, the bursars office deducts tuition, meal plans (if required), on campus housing etc... The remaining package comes to you in a form of a check. Yearly attendance at SUNY Cortland for undergraduate is around 20k with tuition and other fees only equaling about 10k. That 10k will come to me about 5k each semester within the first semester of the month. If I was fully funded through grants and scholarships I would in essence be getting paid.

Those who argue that athletes don't get paid are wrong. Is it comparable to the billions made for other people... no but their is a form of payment. These men might be facing federal offences along with the fraudulent cashing of the teammates check. This could be serious for them. Sad that something so stupid at a young age could haunt them for life.

I've always heard that athletic schollies didn't include any cost of living and that that is why the kids are cash-poor. But JB said on his show that if you gave them that, it would be gone in a day.

did you read the article? For one, only one player was a freshman (the others were 1 jr, 1 RS soph, and 1 RS freshman). The players deposited the checks with a mobile checking ap and then quickly cashed the checks at a convenience store. Not exactly a sophisticated scheme and exactly the kind of thing dumb kids do. To top it off, the UGA finance department noticed and notified the authorities. How do you conclude this is a tradition type of thing?
yes I did read the article.... and I still doubt the freshmen came up with this on his own and where did I say all 4 were freshmen. did you read my sentence? or just jumped to it.

do you really think UGA would say this happened more than once, I don't.

These kids just didn't come up with this on their own,they had to know how the system works.

Taxes, death and at least 3 Georgia players getting arrested in the off season! All three are all going to Happen! 23 Georigia players arrested over the last 4 years.

So, what you are really saying is that Georgia is exceeding its goals!

Looks like someone in the finance department is getting fired soon.
I know you are joking but I wonder if this easier to report at a state school or a private school. Hard to tell.

And I thought this was going to be the first in a series of SEC teams finally admitting they pay their players

They'll admit to nothing--gonna take some serious investigative journalism to uncover their shenanigans. But if I were a reporter, I'd be a little bit cautious. Your talking about football and their sacred honor. SEC-land has quite a track record of dealing with what they perceive as "trouble makers":

mississippi.jpg

They'll admit to nothing--gonna take some serious investigative journalism to uncover their shenanigans. But if I were a reporter, I'd be a little bit cautious. Your talking about football and their sacred honor. SEC-land has quite a track record of dealing with what they perceive as "trouble makers":

View attachment 9085

Send some Post Sub-Standard reporters down there...Oh Yeah that's right, they only throw the local team under the bus.

View attachment 9085
I have lived many years in SEC country and now that TAMU is SEC I am back in it. I agree, CFB is sacred and will probably never disclose the lengths to which their "subsidies" are established.

The checks were for $71.50. It's still not clear to me what these checks are for nor how frequently they're issued. The Georgia AD claims that they're legal.

A local talk show host claims that Northwestern's stipend checks are for nearly 5x that amount due to their proximity to Chicago.

Strange stuff.

I've always heard that athletic schollies didn't include any cost of living and that that is why the kids are cash-poor. But JB said on his show that if you gave them that, it would be gone in a day.
I remember hearing Mike Golic say one time that he had a stipend when he was in college and his sons had them too. He said it was enough so that if 3 or 4 guys wanted to share an apartment off campus they could split rent and still have plenty left over for fun money. The idea that these kids have no money to get pizza and a movie is completely off base.

I remember hearing Mike Golic say one time that he had a stipend when he was in college and his sons had them too. He said it was enough so that if 3 or 4 guys wanted to share an apartment off campus they could split rent and still have plenty left over for fun money. The idea that these kids have no money to get pizza and a movie is completely off base.

Why did the Ohio State kids have to barter trinkets to get tattoos? High school kids get tattoos. It creates an image of college athletes being cash-poor, despite the other benefits.

Why did the Ohio State kids have to barter trinkets to get tattoos? High school kids get tattoos. It creates an image of college athletes being cash-poor, despite the other benefits.
Tattoos are expensive, especially seeing the amount of ink some of these kids have. One decent sized tattoo buys a lot of movies and pizza. My point is, they're already given play money. If they burn through it too fast, the answer isn't necessarily giving them more. Who do they think they are, the government?

Steve Spurrier:

His thoughts on the Georgia-South Carolina game moving from the second week of the season to the sixth week in 2012.

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.