Georgia NIL Law | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia NIL Law

All the media (which isn't a lot) and fan reaction here in Georgia is nothing but positive. Are you sure we (Syracuse fans) understand the 75% correct? Here is what the UGA newspaper said

• Teams may sign contracts that set up an escrow fund to pool the money earned by student-athletes. Student-athletes may agree to put up to 75% of their compensation into the fund. Twelve months after graduation or withdrawal, student-athletes can receive a share of the fund based on their time spent at the school.

Agreed, and without turning this political, I am generally anti-union. lol
Hey, if it’s open season for everyone to go out and get their share, we as fans have made a substantial investment over the years. Now one could make the case that we have received compensation in the form of entertainment - just as how up until now, players have received scholarships valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars. But now the time may be right for us to push for something more - monetary shares, or credits, a say in scheduling, veto power on who receives scholarships and who does not, perhaps even coaching selection authority. This could be fun.
The old rules no longer apply. Money determines the new rules. And we have the money.

Billy bob car dealership is paying 50k to every starter on the team to appear on a billboard. Other schools will not have that kind of sec booster money to throw around or will be prohibited under their state law.
As I always state when this comes up - this actually isn't a problem, and is a good outcome.

NIL isn’t going to fundamentally change college sports. It’s not going to be as extreme as most people think it is. And kids are already getting paid and have been for a long time.

Nothing brings out the chicken little syndrome like this topic

How does this work with the ncaa and eligibility. Fine a state says a player can get paid for his likeness but ncaa says if you do you are ineligible.
The problem is not the players making money off their likeness it’s the abuse that is going to occur. You are going to have 50 different rules. Also just think of Alabama Georgia or LSU. Billy bob car dealership is paying 50k to every starter on the team to appear on a billboard. Other schools will not have that kind of sec booster money to throw around or will be prohibited under their state law. Wild West of sports.
It will destroy college sports as we know it. They might as well just creat a super league of 10 schools.
The NCAA is still in the process of coming up with rules governing paying the players for NIL. The players will be able to get money and keep their eligibility, but there's no telling how it will align with these laws.

You're right that Billy Bob's car dealership paying bonuses will skew things. To me, basketball will be the only sport hurt by this because there is a very small number of football teams competing for a national championship year-in and year-out. Having one player go to school A instead of school B can be enough to tip the scale in basketball, while it would take a lot more of them to affect football.

All the media (which isn't a lot) and fan reaction here in Georgia is nothing but positive. Are you sure we (Syracuse fans) understand the 75% correct? Here is what the UGA newspaper said

• Teams may sign contracts that set up an escrow fund to pool the money earned by student-athletes. Student-athletes may agree to put up to 75% of their compensation into the fund. Twelve months after graduation or withdrawal, student-athletes can receive a share of the fund based on their time spent at the school.

"Student-athletes may agree to up to" is pretty crucial verbiage here. Will be interesting for sure but if the athletes in fact have full day I'm for it. Folks needn't get stuck on 75% as the way it's written is 0-75%. If I'm a 1st or 2nd round pick I'd say keep the 75%. Would be even better if athletes could choose specially who, or at least what sport or scholarship fund, their 75% goes to.

This won't affect Cuse football as the big money stars are not one's that have ever picked Cuse, but basketball could get dicey if NY doesn't figure out something similar or better.

"Student-athletes may agree to up to" is pretty crucial verbiage here. Will be interesting for sure but if the athletes in fact have full day I'm for it. Folks needn't get stuck on 75% as the way it's written is 0-75%. If I'm a 1st or 2nd round pick I'd say keep the 75%. Would be even better if athletes could choose specially who, or at least what sport or scholarship fund, their 75% goes to.

This won't affect Cuse football as the big money stars are not one's that have ever picked Cuse, but basketball could get dicey if NY doesn't figure out something similar or better.
If I'm a Lebron, Kobe, Durant or Melo-level talent...what, do schools approach me with an individual offer like, EX; "Look here kid- we'll agree for you to keep 65% instead of the usual 25% of your NIL earnings, if you agree to come here. Plus, we'll provide luxury housing, and low-interest loans from some of our big banks in Lawrence, Kansas! Not to mention stock options in some of our businesses, plus a job for your Mom, older brother, and father! What say you? Rock Chalk"?!?
Yup, I can see it now...

The NCAA is still in the process of coming up with rules governing paying the players for NIL. The players will be able to get money and keep their eligibility, but there's no telling how it will align with these laws.

You're right that Billy Bob's car dealership paying bonuses will skew things. To me, basketball will be the only sport hurt by this because there is a very small number of football teams competing for a national championship year-in and year-out. Having one player go to school A instead of school B can be enough to tip the scale in basketball, while it would take a lot more of them to affect football.
This is what happens now with basketball.

The problem with football is that only a few teams can actually win it. The whole system should be geared towards making things less so. NIL doesn’t do it - but I think something had got to give. Parity is what makes the NFL so good, IMO. European soccer suffers from this same problem - not enough parity.

Why should they have to forgo any earnings. Put the salaries of all coaches, professors and administrators in escrow. What about investment income during the escrow period. I f-n hate government which is filled with people who are by and large egomaniacal buffoons and imbeciles

If I'm a Lebron, Kobe, Durant or Melo-level talent...what, do schools approach me with an individual offer like, EX; "Look here kid- we'll agree for you to keep 65% instead of the usual 25% of your NIL earnings, if you agree to come here. Plus, we'll provide luxury housing, and low-interest loans from some of our big banks in Lawrence, Kansas! Not to mention stock options in some of our businesses, plus a job for your Mom, older brother, and father! What say you? Rock Chalk"?!?
Yup, I can see it now...
So what?

Hey, if it’s open season for everyone to go out and get their share, we as fans have made a substantial investment over the years. Now one could make the case that we have received compensation in the form of entertainment - just as how up until now, players have received scholarships valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars. But now the time may be right for us to push for something more - monetary shares, or credits, a say in scheduling, veto power on who receives scholarships and who does not, perhaps even coaching selection authority. This could be fun.
The old rules no longer apply. Money determines the new rules. And we have the money.
Dumb. Attend or don’t attend. Watch or don’t watch. That’s how you vote

You wouldn’t let them keep the money. Do you send back your tax refund?
The kids will get taxed on all of it, then surrender it, with a chance to get it back. No thanks.

I'm a little bit surprised at the reaction. I haven't read the law, but the way it's described, the schools can take that portion to build a general fund to pay players across the board. In theory, the revenue sports are what allow the non-revenue sports to exist in the first place. So the "wealth" of the revenue programs funds the non-revenue programs, and here they are using the "wealth" of the revenue players to fund the non-revenue players.

I am only commenting on that aspect of the story. An isolated thought, not a comprehensive analysis or critique.
It’s not the program’s money, it’s the players’. It’s not the players’ job to directly fund the programs (they do it indirectly, by their play), it’s the schools.
How has our country come to a point where confiscation of property is seen as a good thing?

Last edited:
So what?

So what?

So let’s dance!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You wouldn’t let them keep the money. Do you send back your tax refund?
The kids will get taxed on all of it, then surrender it, with a chance to get it back. No thanks.

Not sure what you're on about here. Whole premise of my post was student-athletes getting to choice what happens with money = good

Not sure what you're on about here. Whole premise of my post was student-athletes getting to choice what happens with money = good
No, the premise of your post, as I read it, was that you thought it would be good if the players get to decide what happens to their money after it is stolen from them. My position is that it is their money and they should be able to keep it.

I'd love to see the cross section of people opposed to this idea of athletes having to give up a portion on the money they earn from NIL, yet who also support significant tax increases for the higher income brackets for Americans. To me it's all wealth redistribution no matter what label you want to put on it.

No, the premise of your post, as I read it, was that you thought it would be good if the players get to decide what happens to their money after it is stolen from them. My position is that it is their money and they should be able to keep it.

Then you've terribly misread my post unfortunately

I'll add this - these kids, their parents, and their handlers/entourages/leeches are already hypersensitive about any criticism they get now. Once they start getting paid, the gloves are off, full-stop. It's going to get ugly real quick.

I'll add this - these kids, their parents, and their handlers/entourages/leeches are already hypersensitive about any criticism they get now. Once they start getting paid, the gloves are off, full-stop. It's going to get ugly real quick.
Wait until they get taxed

Just let any kid who wants to go pro. You can't have it both ways. You're an amateur or you're a pro. Pros get to keep what they kill. Amateurs are in it for the degree (until theyre not).
Agreed...college sports have slide down into the Valley of Unintended Consequences.

It'll be interesting to see how college sports evolve over the next 10-15 years.

Will we have a Mini-Me NFL of the 24-36 biggest programs? The rest in some sort of Amateur Developmental League that most likely looks like something like FCS? Will money and 18 year temper tantrums ruin it for most alumni? Will these athletes even pursue degrees or will the schools put them in Charm School Courses to learn how to do interviews, deal with agents, investing, ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom