Get Ennis, and a Big and we're done? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Get Ennis, and a Big and we're done?

Why a Big?

For '13, BMK will be a Senior, Rak a Jr, and DC2 a So. Also Grant will be a So. and CJ will be a Sr. No normal recruit in '13 would see any time up front. You would have to take a semi-projecct that would need to be patient.

'14 would seem a better selling period for a talented big. It's a much easier sell to say learn for a year and then take over. BMK + CJ would be gone and it would be Rak (Sr), and DC2 (Jr). It's possible DC2 could leave after Jr year.

The real PT time for bigs is scheduled to be available in '15. Getting a talented big in '14 with that in PT in mind makes the most sense.

I think with bigs, it has been a key to our recent recruiting success that we're getting an elite big each of the past few years. That's what keeps you at an elite level.

The predicament is having MCW go pro early. The potential is there for a James Theus, Michael Edwards situation. Tell me again how silly it is for the staff to explain the need for timely decision.

The '13 search for a pg is not a pointless problem. It is the number one problem facing SU at the moment.

I think that MCW is not as likely to go pro next year as you make it. Yes, he was a McDonald's AA, but he's not physically ready for the NBA. Dion is built for it. Michael needs to probably play 2 years, IMO.

I expect the kid to understand the school's situation and reach a compromise. If he doesn't want to do that, that is his decision. I would prefer SU doesn't put themselves in a position where it becomes Ennis or some juco in the Spring. Things can always get complicated trying to get a recruit.

There are some troubling signs, heavy involvement of parents and a delayed decision. That is often times code for looking for a paypalcal type or a diva type move.

I think I would prefer a summer commitment out of someone like Rysheed Jordan than sitting and waiting until Spring for Ennis to commit.

It's not the recruit that has an emergency, it's SU. There is no backup pg at the moment in '13. That is a title contending team with no backup to MCW. And MCW does not seem like a 4 year player.
The sooner you realize that MCW will be in the NBA after this year the more sense it will make. Let the staff figure out the situation. If Ennis is scared of competition than the coaches should be scared of his work ethic. It goes both ways.

The point is SU's situation does affect him. SU, IMO, is in a trickier situation than usual for '13 at pg. SU is unusually thin and with MCW unlikely to last 4 years only adds to SU's pg need in '13.

It is reasonable to think SU may have to go to the first person to commit situation out of several choices they have at pg at some point. Because while you may think you have to sweat out some of the recruiting battles, sometimes you shouldn't. I believe this is not an NN luxury situation but instead a must-get.

You don't pass on a R Jordan in this situation to hope Ennis will come around. That is how you end up with a Michael Edwards type.
You failed to explain why he needs to worry about SU's situation. If SU passes on him he'll go to another elite school. He's in the driver's seat. You and I are not in contact with him or any other kids, so we don't have a feel for what they're thinking, the coaching staff does. Your concern is baseless at this point. The Michael Edwards scenario you reference happened over 20 years ago. I like that track record.

I'm not sure why there seems to be so much panic and desperation among a couple people here. Yes I would LOVE it if we had elite recruits lined up and committed at every position for each of the next 10 years. Thats just not the way it works or has worked for the last 30+ years JB's been running things. The staff obviously wants Ennis and is comfortable with his timetable for making a decision. I'm sure they have scenerios in place and relationships built for whether he comes or not.

The point is SU's situation does affect him. SU, IMO, is in a trickier situation than usual for '13 at pg. SU is unusually thin and with MCW unlikely to last 4 years only adds to SU's pg need in '13.

It is reasonable to think SU may have to go to the first person to commit situation out of several choices they have at pg at some point. Because while you may think you have to sweat out some of the recruiting battles, sometimes you shouldn't. I believe this is not an NN luxury situation but instead a must-get.

You don't pass on a R Jordan in this situation to hope Ennis will come around. That is how you end up with a Michael Edwards type.

The last time I remember the program using the "first one to commit gets the scholarship" was with JWright, Price, and Lowery..... can't say I want to relive that scenario.... Let it play out, weve won most of these recruiting battles as of late.

I'm not sure why there seems to be so much panic and desperation among a couple people here. Yes I would LOVE it if we had elite recruits lined up and committed at every position for each of the next 10 years. Thats just not the way it works or has worked for the last 30+ years JB's been running things. The staff obviously wants Ennis and is comfortable with his timetable for making a decision. I'm sure they have scenerios in place and relationships built for whether he comes or not.
How do you know the staff is comfortable with Ennis' timetable for a decision?

It is the scenarios the staff has and the ranking of the remaining players that I find interesting. I was trying to find out what other people thought those were.

I think that MCW is not as likely to go pro next year as you make it. Yes, he was a McDonald's AA, but he's not physically ready for the NBA. Dion is built for it. Michael needs to probably play 2 years, IMO.
I do think it is a long shot for MCW to go pro after next year too. But still SU has no backup ballhandler for MCW in '13 as it stands now. It looks like the biggest flaw in a potential title contending team.

And in '14 the odds of MCW going pro are even money or greater. SU doesn't want to have to send out a frosh pg.

With the drama that is starting to unfold with Ennis - heavy parental involvement, diva like decision day, family history of commitment issues - I'm starting to hope the staff gets the early commit out of R Jordan.

I don't think parental involvement is always a bad thing, and quite often it is a good and necessary part of the decision. I don't think that this recruitment is heading down the dirty path, just a kid with a lot of options, taking his time so that he doesn't have to break a commitment. As a fan, I wish he was sure about Syracuse and make his decision now and then start recruiting Wiggins and every other top Syracuse target, but it is his decision. He knows how highly the SU staff thinks of him, and I am sure he is aware that the staff has to evaluate others until he makes his decision.

I do think it is a long shot for MCW to go pro after next year too. But still SU has no backup ballhandler for MCW in '13 as it stands now. It looks like the biggest flaw in a potential title contending team.

And in '14 the odds of MCW going pro are even money or greater. SU doesn't want to have to send out a frosh pg.

With the drama that is starting to unfold with Ennis - heavy parental involvement, diva like decision day, family history of commitment issues - I'm starting to hope the staff gets the early commit out of R Jordan.

Drama with Ennis ? It's still pretty early in the process. I don't see any problems here. The AAU season is just getting started in a few weeks. If we don't have a commitment from him by July, then I would start going after the others on our list.

Drama with Ennis ? It's still pretty early in the process. I don't see any problems here. The AAU season is just getting started in a few weeks. If we don't have a commitment from him by July, then I would start going after the others on our list.
The problem is the report that said he is considering not making his decision until next Spring.
If true I think SU has to consider other options, considering how important I think a pg in that class is (of course SU should always work to ease my concerns).

I would like to see SU listed with that R Jordan. He's a Philly kid that according to the site at the top has a consensus rating higher than Ennis.

The problem is the report that said he is considering not making his decision until next Spring.
If true I think SU has to consider other options, considering how important I think a pg in that class is (of course SU should always work to ease my concerns).

I would like to see SU listed with that R Jordan. He's a Philly kid that according to the site at the top has a consensus rating higher than Ennis.

Anyone who says "next spring" means that Kentucky is their first choice, since they want to see who will be leaving, so they can line up their one-year tryout. If Ennis doesn't commit by mid-summer, you're right, we can't wait. We are a school that has to lock people up in the fall signing period.

Anyone who says "next spring" means that Kentucky is their first choice, since they want to see who will be leaving, so they can line up their one-year tryout. If Ennis doesn't commit by mid-summer, you're right, we can't wait. We are a school that has to lock people up in the fall signing period.
That was the troubling news on Ennis from Torontocuse's post below. TC wrote "He won't be committing until the fall or spring". TC also mentioned heavily involved parents.

That was my depresssing interpretation, that this was code for "my team" would like to see if UK would be interested and willing to make an offer.

That was the troubling news on Ennis from Torontocuse's post below. TC wrote "He won't be committing until the fall or spring". TC also mentioned heavily involved parents.

That was my depresssing interpretation, that this was code for "my team" would like to see if UK would be interested and willing to make an offer.

Well, "Fall or Spring" is completely different. That doesn't mean anything.

Can we decide once and for all if it's Obokoh or Okonoboh, by the way? I always thought it was Okonoboh, but everyone is spelling it Okoboh. I bring this up because I think I'm right, and you're all wrong and should bow before me.

Plus, it might be a good idea to spell his name right.

Goodluck Okonoboh
Chinoso Oboko

something like that, goodluck played with Noel and Oboko is the rochester kid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors