Get one for mom | Syracusefan.com

Get one for mom

goofnoff

2nd String
A few weeks ago my 99-year-old mother passed away 2 months short of her 100th birthday. She died on the same day and hour as the Queen which would please her because she was a lifelong Anglophile. She was in her 60's before she paid any attention to sports at all but her Grandsons got her hooked on Syracuse and there after she became a SU fanatic.

Over the past couple of decades, she actually became to nervous to watch the games. So, we would have to give her a play-by-play from another room. My son and I were watching the Purdue game, he in N. Syracuse and me in Baltimore, while talking on the phone. I heard Mom call out to my son, "How are they doing now". It was the last words I ever heard her say.

On Saturday, I know I'll hear those words, if only in my mind. I want to say, what my son said that Saturday, "We're going to win Grandma."

Your mom sounds like a very fun person. It made me smile when you described her increased nerves about games. She went from not caring at all about SU to caring too much! And she lived to 99, oh my! How lucky you are, although it may not feel like it at the moment. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

And yes, let’s win one for Grandma!

RIP Mom Goofnoff. And Go Orange!

Your mom sounds like a very fun person. It made me smile when you described her increased nerves about games. She went from not caring at all about SU to caring too much! And she lived to 99, oh my! How lucky you are, although it may not feel like it at the moment. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

And yes, let’s win one for Grandma!
Thank you

She was pretty eccentric. Her two favorite SU players were DC and Melo. But it wasn't because of their play. She thought they were both "very sweet boys". We tried to explain her that DC's reputation wasn't exactly "sweet" but she'd have none of it. They both had nice smiles and that was enough.

A few weeks ago my 99-year-old mother passed away 2 months short of her 100th birthday. She died on the same day and hour as the Queen which would please her because she was a lifelong Anglophile. She was in her 60's before she paid any attention to sports at all but her Grandsons got her hooked on Syracuse and there after she became a SU fanatic.

Over the past couple of decades, she actually became to nervous to watch the games. So, we would have to give her a play-by-play from another room. My son and I were watching the Purdue game, he in N. Syracuse and me in Baltimore, while talking on the phone. I heard Mom call out to my son, "How are they doing now". It was the last words I ever heard her say.

On Saturday, I know I'll hear those words, if only in my mind. I want to say, what my son said that Saturday, "We're going to win Grandma."

Losing a parent is no easy task no matter the age

Hope you find joy in the moments she would have.

I know for me, that’s when I feel closest to my mother after she passed.

Let’s go out their and get a win for you and her today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom