Getting athletes to stay home | Syracusefan.com

Getting athletes to stay home

GooseMutt

All Conference
If you look at ESPN 2018 commits most all chose hometown colleges out the gate. Probably grew up as fans and pursued their dream to play there. If we are truly NY s Team ( I believe declaring us as such was a marketing failure which left NY media a bad taste in their mouths and I don't believe anyone bought in on that) then where is everyone going? Bamba, Diablo , Randolph , and others aren't buying it. We are a very successful elite program and NBA affiliated with many players yet they leave. I think Bamba says he hates zone, ok understandable, but other than that what's up . I assume that some may have grown up Cuse fans but still leave. Is it facilities? Not enough bells and whistles?(ever see louisvilles film room Kentucky private chefs etc). Is it Boeheims personality ? I'm lost.

Looking at the 2017 commitments so far:

29 stayed in state
17 haven't committed
54 left their home state

It seems that a lot of recruits either go somewhere with nice weather, or to somewhat of a destination type place. Syracuse, NY is neither.

And Syracuse is still pretty routinely one of the best recruiting schools in the country. I think Boeheim and the rest of the staff have done a pretty sensational job in the past despite this year's rough recruiting cycle.