GGG-Derrvyanchenko | Syracusefan.com

GGG-Derrvyanchenko

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
1st time I've watched GGG and thought he's now past his prime. Canelo might actually get a real win in fight 3.

I agree. GGG looked old and slow. Derevyanchenko was faster and more accurate and got him to retreat and cover up. Despite the early knockdown and the cut, he never seemed to have been in any kind of trouble while Golovkin was obviously affected by the body shots. I spent the fight feeling that that SD was winning but looked at the scores I was writing down and GGG was winning. The reasons for his were the 10-8 round GGG got in the first because of the flash knockdown and a win in the second round and the fact that SD took parts of rounds off because he was expending so much energy when he was dominating. I gave GGG the 4th, 6th, 7th and 11th rounds and that was enough for the early lead to stand up. The judges were all for GGG, 115-112, 114-112 and 114-112. The DAZN and ESPN scorers had it 114-113 for TD.

Anyway, Golovkin isn't going to scare anybody any more.

I agree. GGG looked old and slow. Derevyanchenko was faster and more accurate and got him to retreat and cover up. Despite the early knockdown and the cut, he never seemed to have been in any kind of trouble while Golovkin was obviously affected by the body shots. I spent the fight feeling that that SD was winning but looked at the scores I was writing down and GGG was winning. The reasons for his were the 10-8 round GGG got in the first because of the flash knockdown and a win in the second round and the fact that SD took parts of rounds off because he was expending so much energy when he was dominating. I gave GGG the 4th, 6th, 7th and 11th rounds and that was enough for the early lead to stand up. The judges were all for GGG, 115-112, 114-112 and 114-112. The DAZN and ESPN scorers had it 114-113 for TD.

Anyway, Golovkin isn't going to scare anybody any more.

I'm more sad then anything that we were all robbed of getting to see GGG in big fights for basically his entire prime.

I'm more sad then anything that we were all robbed of getting to see GGG in big fights for basically his entire prime.
I agree - Prime Golovkin never had a “mega-fight” nor faced a top-flight opponent who could challenge him.
Unfortunately, GGG’s Prime coincided with a weak 160 lb era. Boxing’s top flight talent (6-7 yrs ago or so) was either too small (Jr Middleweights/Welters), at the end of their careers or bigger (LtHeavy). Just bad timing...

And Golovkin never showed any interest in moving up (after cleaning out a weak Middleweight Division) to fight bigger guys (Ward, Kovalev). Both HBO fighters as well BTW. Big career management mistake IMO. Speculation on my part - Abel Sanchez (GGG’s Trainer for most of his career) knew Golovkin’s advantages (strength, hard hands, pressure attack) would not translate well against bigger competition. Unless GGG could overpower his opponent, he was too mechanical, hittable, slow afoot and had just average world-class reflexes. Ward (and even Kovalev) were big enough to keep GGG at a distance and turn him into punches all night. Again - I think Sanchez knew this. So he kept Gennady at 160 and waited for Canelo to grow (or steroid, Lol) into a full fledged Middle. Ironic that Alvarez is jumping to 175 to fight Kovalev (perhaps a shop-worn version) in a quasi mega fight; something GGG’s management never showed interest in doing...

Too bad GGG never had a deep middleweight division to fight. It was, honestly, very weak (when compared to the Monzon, Hagler eras). Even Roy Jones era was better. Either way, I think GGG (as an All-Time Great) ranks with Monzon and Hagler as among the best I’ve seen at 160 (Roy is another league).

Based on what I saw tonight, I hope GGG retires. Old sluggers don’t get better after absorbing a beating from a younger, stronger guy. But DAZN is paying allot of money, so he probably won’t... My prediction - May 2020 rematch with Canelo. Unless Krusher upsets this timetable...

I agree - Prime Golovkin never had a “mega-fight” nor faced a top-flight opponent who could challenge him.
Unfortunately, GGG’s Prime coincided with a weak 160 lb era. Boxing’s top flight talent (6-7 yrs ago or so) was either too small (Jr Middleweights/Welters), at the end of their careers or bigger (LtHeavy). Just bad timing...

And Golovkin never showed any interest in moving up (after cleaning out a weak Middleweight Division) to fight bigger guys (Ward, Kovalev). Both HBO fighters as well BTW. Big career management mistake IMO. Speculation on my part - Abel Sanchez (GGG’s Trainer for most of his career) knew Golovkin’s advantages (strength, hard hands, pressure attack) would not translate well against bigger competition. Unless GGG could overpower his opponent, he was too mechanical, hittable, slow afoot and had just average world-class reflexes. Ward (and even Kovalev) were big enough to keep GGG at a distance and turn him into punches all night. Again - I think Sanchez knew this. So he kept Gennady at 160 and waited for Canelo to grow (or steroid, Lol) into a full fledged Middle. Ironic that Alvarez is jumping to 175 to fight Kovalev (perhaps a shop-worn version) in a quasi mega fight; something GGG’s management never showed interest in doing...

Too bad GGG never had a deep middleweight division to fight. It was, honestly, very weak (when compared to the Monzon, Hagler eras). Even Roy Jones era was better. Either way, I think GGG (as an All-Time Great) ranks with Monzon and Hagler as among the best I’ve seen at 160 (Roy is another league).

Based on what I saw tonight, I hope GGG retires. Old sluggers don’t get better after absorbing a beating from a younger, stronger guy. But DAZN is paying allot of money, so he probably won’t... My prediction - May 2020 rematch with Canelo. Unless Krusher upsets this timetable...
Roy was my all-time #1 at his peak as well.

Roy was my all-time #1 at his peak as well.

It's hard to think of Jones as a middleweight, even though he held that title briefly. He was really a light heavyweight, (super-middleweight is really"junior light heavyweight) who could beat some heavyweight contenders. Hagler is the best middleweight I've ever seen and I think he would have beaten GGG, even in his prime.

Abel Sanchez (GGG’s Trainer for most of his career) knew Golovkin’s advantages (strength, hard hands, pressure attack) would not translate well against bigger competition
Also speculation on my part, this is similar, except in the opposite direction for Canelo and what his camp sees. I believe they see flaws in Kovalev's game. Maybe since Kovalev is vulnerable on the inside? Very intrigued to see that fight. GGG doesn't inspire me to watch him anymore.

Also speculation on my part, this is similar, except in the opposite direction for Canelo and what his camp sees. I believe they see flaws in Kovalev's game. Maybe since Kovalev is vulnerable on the inside? Very intrigued to see that fight. GGG doesn't inspire me to watch him anymore.
Totally agree with your take. Don’t think Canelo would go after Bivol or Beterbiev at 175.
I believe Alvarez’s camp thinks Kovalev has weak ribs, is a sucker for the overhand right (Canelo’s money punch) and is a “front-runner” (has a stamina problem). And shop-worn. Ward broke Krusher to the mid drift in their 2nd fight.
I too am intrigued by this matchup. Kovalev is world-class, allot bigger, can control a fight with his jab and still hits like a mule. Allot of risk (and reward) for both boxers.
To me, the true test of a great fighter - he steps up and defeats talented, naturally bigger and stronger opponents. GGG never tried...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom