Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Our best player scored three points and only played 17 minutes due to foul trouble. We gave up 20 offensive rebounds. Buddy didn't shoot well nor did Griffin. We're all frustrated with JG3's shot selection and there's no denying he was bad tonight but to say he singlehandedly lost us the game is objectively a delusional
Our best player scored three points and only played 17 minutes due to foul trouble. We gave up 20 offensive rebounds. Buddy didn't shoot well nor did Griffin. We're all frustrated with JG3's shot selection and there's no denying he was bad tonight but to say he singlehandedly lost us the game is objectively a delusional take.
The only thing delusional is Joe's shot selection

I missed a lot of today’s game (probably a blessing). So I can’t really speak to Joe’s performance besides looking at the stat line.

He obviously played poorly given the numbers. But there’s something that pisses me off more. One of the plays I did catch was a loose ball near mid court that two Pitt players dove/hustled for and Joe was just completely disinterested putting in the same effort. Obviously Pitt got the ball. He should’ve gotten benched for that.

Sorry to pile on Joe but no one seems to have mentioned his 33/23 A/TO ratio which is below 1 to 1.5 while Kadary's is 30/14 which is slightly above the 'good' ratio of 2 to 1, and RK averages 1 assist per 6.7 min while Joe averages one every 7.5 minutes.

However, RK (15%), like Joe, needs to be more selective with his outside shooting.

Mookie jones career stats:
67fg160fga42%17 fg234 fga250%50 fg3126fga340 %

Joe Girards career stats:
14943834%6016237%89/276 32%

Mookie jones is Steph Curry relative to Girard and yet he was known here as a chucker and everyone was ready to run him out of town. Girard just needs to be "more consistent"

Last edited:
Honestly we can’t win either way. If we didn’t recruit joe and he went off in another year or two for 42% from three then everybody on this site would complain we can’t get home grown talent and the recruiting sucks.
the real issue is Carey was so bad last year that joe had to play and be a main contributor. If he got spot minutes last year and you worked him in as a rotational guy this year he would be fine. It isn’t fair to him that last year he was the savior of sorts at guard and this year he needs to transfer. There has to be a middle ground.
I do agree he doesn’t seem to be playing with the energy as last year though. Last year joe would be fine on this team. Seems a bit disinterested compared to last year.

Mookie jones is Steph Curry relative to Girard and yet he was known here as a chucker and everyone was ready to run him out of town. Girard just needs to be "more consistent"
That's because our fanbase treats our white players differently.

FIGHT ME (not you SteveHolt specifically)

He also stood still like a statue, hands down while the Pitt PG threw the alley-oop under 2 minutes ( I think to cut lead to 1). That cannot happen in rec ball let alone D1. Just not acceptable defense at the top of a zone...

Joe takes the worst shots of any player I've ever seen in 44years of watching. And he just refuses to stop jacking up awful shots. He has to sit when he takes them or becomes a cancer . Everyone starts it. There's no repercussions. He singlehandedly lost this game and I'm down puking now.
Donte Greene might be in the running for worst shots ever taken by an SU player, but I understand your point.

I felt like he hustled more last year ... he doesn’t look like he has any fire. Seems like a kid that really feeds off the crowd
yep still looks lethargic/slow out there compared to last year

I remember thinking, during one of the late defensive possessions as JG sort of played defense after Kadary had just made steals and was super active, "wow syracusefan folks are gonna have fun w this"

Thing is I actually thought he played solid for 30 minutes. He goes into hero mode and doesn’t get the right people the ball on top of the lack of hustle. Kadary should have been in there period.

And gets a high 5 when he goes out after a terrible shot or shots, I don’t get it .

I saw that yesterday!! I laughed to myself it was that amusing (perhaps just for me)

Mooooooooooooookie! You get a like for referencing Mookie.

I often watch our teams the past couple years and wonder how he would fit in...…….i have no idea why, it just floats into my brain and I can't stop it.

Does anyone know who developed his off-season conditioning plan. I assume every player got one but did Joe deviate from his or ignore it. He has been awful but he looks and acts like a totally different player.

Fatigue definitely impacted our guys yesterday at the end which makes sense with no practice but Joe just looks off. Marek a little bit too quite honestly.

Does anyone know who developed his off-season conditioning plan. I assume every player got one but did Joe deviate from his or ignore it. He has been awful but he looks and acts like a totally different player.

Fatigue definitely impacted our guys yesterday at the end which makes sense with no practice but Joe just looks off. Marek a little bit too quite honestly.
I'm sure many of their offseason workout routines included a healthy dose of lifting, that should have been supplemented by cardio such as playing basketball games. Looks to me like the lifting was done, but there just wasn't enough cardio happening due to the inability to play in games.

I'm sure many of their offseason workout routines included a healthy dose of lifting, that should have been supplemented by cardio such as playing basketball games. Looks to me like the lifting was done, but there just wasn't enough cardio happening due to the inability to play in games.
Nah, man.

His program was called "a sheet and 50."

Yeah I would like to agree but he just looks doughier to me not stronger.

I don't mean to pile on but I continue to watch Joe and wonder how the heck did he score 50 points a game in high school. I know it was against inferior competition but still, the ball has to go through the hoop a lot to equate to 50 points. He just does not look like an elite scorer but he seems to believe he is (and I guess Boeheim thinks it as well).

One game certainly provided great material to revive the forum from extended covid lockdown doldrums!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom