girard's 2 pt shooting in context | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

girard's 2 pt shooting in context

Its hilarious that Jim won't let certain guys shoot 3s but apparently has no issues with Joe shooting that floater that never goes in or getting stuffed on layup attempts. He must be awesome with that shot in practice vs our walkons, I guess.
I’m thinking that too, bad part is it isn’t against walkons, it’s against guys that actually may be towards the back of our rotation.

Of course the issue this season is, IMHO, Sy doesn’t offer us much of anything other than consistent energy on D. He’s not even a particularly great defender in my eyes, but he tries hard.
yeah and Sy has energy, but in general, Sy's D, as I hammered in the off season, was overrated dramatically due to how he looked vs Buddy and Joe. In fact, I don't think its that much better than an engaged Joe.

yeah and Sy has energy, but in general, Sy's D, as I hammered in the off season, was overrated dramatically due to how he looked vs Buddy and Joe. In fact, I don't think its that much better than an engaged Joe.
Have we seen that yet? I mean on defense, in the last 4 years, for more than a couple possessions.

Oh I agree, and that’s why I said Joe has been misused.

Of course the issue this season is, IMHO, Sy doesn’t offer us much of anything other than consistent energy on D. He’s not even a particularly great defender in my eyes, but he tries hard.

But this ain’t like making Kadary sit for Joe. I get the notion that Joe at least always gives us a shooter in the floor that the opposing D has to account for.

Joe would surely be a better contributor if he got less minutes. But we’d be a better team if he had another guard who could shoot too.
Absolutely right on. Offensively there's zero perimeter threat without him. Taylor might have been a possibility but that doesn't seem to be the reality, at least right now

Have we seen that yet? I mean on defense, in the last 4 years, for more than a couple possessions.

Sure, the tourney game vs WVu specifically comes to mind. Its not many. The point is Symir doesnt b1ow me away on D.

Edit: And AGAIN...looking at that WVU box score. Joe playing 29 mins > Joe playing 35+ mins. I can't believe Jim doesnt recognize this

But this ain’t like making Kadary sit for Joe. I get the notion that Joe at least always gives us a shooter in the floor that the opposing D has to account for.

Joe would surely be a better contributor if he got less minutes. But we’d be a better team if he had another guard who could shoot too.
Excellent point in Sy. He stands out for trying hard, but his game for the most part is dreadful. I'd rather start breaking Q into the Sy role.

I think Joe's still trying to find the right balance between having to help carry the team as a senior and its best three-point shooter and realizing that there are more playmakers on this year's team compared to his first three years.

I can’t recall a guard we’ve had that is also so bad at finishing at the rim in transition. He just prays he’s going to draw a foul. When he blew those back to back ones it was brutal to watch.

He just didn’t seem engaged at all. He didn’t seem like he even wanted the ball. There were a few plays where Judah couldn’t get free and Benny/Jesse had the ball and Joe was just standing there.

Symir benefited a lot last season from the other shooters. It was a virtuous cycle, where they gave him room to operate, but also presented great targets for his playmaking.

We're not seeing as much of either thing right now. I feared this might happen. Plenty of time to turn things around, but the change in his per 40 numbers is striking.

torrence per 40s.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom