girard's 2 pt shooting in context | Syracusefan.com

girard's 2 pt shooting in context

Millhouse

Living Legend
Look at the list of schools that have players shooting as many 2 pt attempts per game with as low a percentage and as many turnovers as girard in 2022-23

There are 14 players but look at the schools

Last year there were 6, here's the players from 2021-22 with his 2pt attempts, conversion, and turnovers per game. Again look at these schools!

I did this nonsense with cooney too. You just don't find major teams that have their guards doing so many bad things

He just needs to not take the 3-4 i'm gonna just shoot shots.. And its not the 30 ft bombs when he is set thats the issue.. it was the back 2 back fast break that really wasnt there type shots.

He just needs to not take the 3-4 i'm gonna just shoot shots.. And its not the 30 ft bombs when he is set thats the issue.. it was the back 2 back fast break that really wasnt there type shots.
no numbers to support this but it seems like 75% of our possessions are fine and 25% are just totally undisciplined and lazy. Goes back many years.

Look at the list of schools that have players shooting as many 2 pt attempts per game with as low a percentage and as many turnovers as girard in 2022-23

Last year there were 6, here's the players from 2021-22 with his 2pt attempts, conversion, and turnovers per game. Again look at these schools!

Ironically, Curbelo is on the list from last year and he torched us last night.

Joe can’t shoot in the paint. Luckily, he doesn’t go in there and shoot often.

Its hilarious that Jim won't let certain guys shoot 3s but apparently has no issues with Joe shooting that floater that never goes in or getting stuffed on layup attempts. He must be awesome with that shot in practice vs our walkons, I guess.

He needs to not go to the rim at all on fast breaks. Pull-up at the arc. If they stay with you, pass. If they don’t, shoot. A miss has a good chance of being rebounded by us.

If he’s not being coached to do this, shame on the coaches. If he is, shame on him.

Last night it wasn't even the missed shots that bugged me. It was his total lack of involvement on anything on the offensive end. I usually support him but last night it looked like he either said "I'm done I can't get open" or "hey if the want to be the Alpha have at it I'll just float around". He looked like he mentally quit and I think the tell was missing the 2 FT's. He needs to get a ton tougher mentally.

Its hilarious that Jim won't let certain guys shoot 3s but apparently has no issues with Joe shooting that floater that never goes in or getting stuffed on layup attempts. He must be awesome with that shot in practice vs our walkons, I guess.
that was mcnamara's go to shot when he shot 39% from 2 his senior year

Last night it wasn't even the missed shots that bugged me. It was his total lack of involvement on anything on the offensive end. I usually support him but last night it looked like he either said "I'm done I can't get open" or "hey if the want to be the Alpha have at it I'll just float around". He looked like he mentally quit and I think the tell was missing the 2 FT's. He needs to get a ton tougher mentally.
I see that too. I'm done I can't get open so I'm going to coast hoping that it's not that noticeable

all those other players shooting as often as poorly with as many turnovers on teams that are really bad get fewer minutes per game that girard

some bad teams you can imagine that the alternative is so bad that they have to live with it. but those teams go deeper than we do

Boo Buie. Great name.

all those other players shooting as often as poorly with as many turnovers on teams that are really bad get fewer minutes per game that girard

some bad teams you can imagine that the alternative is so bad that they have to live with it. but those teams go deeper than we do
I mean this one is the JB factor.

It's the same as how Jimmy played more mpg for us than he did at Cornell.

Few things:
- This is a great call out, in general. It's inefficient basketball to a staggering degree.

- JGIII is taking the third most 2 pt FGA/game this year (Jesse @ 12.8, Judah @ 7.6, JGIII @ 7, even Benny @ 6.6 - it falls off a cliff after that in per gam3 2pt fgas). Here are the respective two pt %s: 68%, 53%, 37%, 44%. THIRTY SEVEN PERCENT.

- He might be the worst finisher at the rim of any guard that takes a significant amount of two point shots I've ever seen.

- None of this is taking into consideration defense.

- He has the highest usg% on the team. He's a huge driver of inefficiency.

There are definitely other issues: we need to rotate more guys in at the forward position, we need to get Jesse the ball more and on and on. But Joe isn't doing well this year.

If you measure success on counting stats as priorty, you are perfectly fine with losing in this situation.

Few things:
- This is a great call out, in general. It's inefficient basketball to a staggering degree.

- JGIII is taking the third most 2 pt FGA/game this year (Jesse @ 12.8, Judah @ 7.6, JGIII @ 7, even Benny @ 6.6 - it falls off a cliff after that in per gam3 2pt fgas). Here are the respective two pt %s: 68%, 53%, 37%, 44%. THIRTY SEVEN PERCENT.

- He might be the worst finisher at the rim of any guard that takes a significant amount of two point shots I've ever seen.

- None of this is taking into consideration defense.

- He has the highest usg% on the team. He's a huge driver of inefficiency.

There are definitely other issues: we need to rotate more guys in at the forward position, we need to get Jesse the ball more and on and on. But Joe isn't doing well this year.

If you measure success on counting stats as priorty, you are perfectly fine with losing in this situation.
Part of the problem is treating a shot clock violation as something to always be avoided. accept a couple here and there and get more good shots

Part of the problem is treating a shot clock violation as something to always be avoided. accept a couple here and there and get more good shots

I'd be good with that. I wish we transitioned more, because I think Joe as a trailing shooter or a guy that can push, stop, head fake, shoot, is a good thing. He had one three, I believe, yesterday that was like the latter.

Agree 100%. I tend to defend Joe because I think he’s a net-positive for us and has been misused over his career. But man, last night was atrocious. Shooters have off nights, it happens. But his lack of effort in literally all other facets of the game should have earned him a 15 minute JB tirade and a benching.

Agree 100%. I tend to defend Joe because I think he’s a net-positive for us and has been misused over his career. But man, last night was atrocious. Shooters have off nights, it happens. But his lack of effort in literally all other facets of the game should have earned him a 15 minute JB tirade and a benching.

Here's my issue and why it's more with JB than Joe at this point - Joe isn't some athletic specimen or some workout warrior that is running 100 mile marathons.

If he were playing 25-30 mpg, especially on the second night of a back to back against decent competition, I think he would be much better.

NBA teams rest guys that are all-world genetic freaks on the second night of back to backs and, in general, manage their minutes.

I think some people harken back to his HS stats and accolades and think it makes him some kind of superman. He is not. At all.

Here's my issue and why it's more with JB than Joe at this point - Joe isn't some athletic specimen or some workout warrior that is running 100 mile marathons.

If he were playing 25-30 mpg, especially on the second night of a back to back against decent competition, I think he would be much better.

NBA teams rest guys that are all-world genetic freaks on the second night of back to backs and, in general, manage their minutes.

I think some people harken back to his HS stats and accolades and think it makes him some kind of superman. He is not. At all.
Oh I agree, and that’s why I said Joe has been misused.

Of course the issue this season is, IMHO, Sy doesn’t offer us much of anything other than consistent energy on D. He’s not even a particularly great defender in my eyes, but he tries hard.

But this ain’t like making Kadary sit for Joe. I get the notion that Joe at least always gives us a shooter in the floor that the opposing D has to account for.

Joe would surely be a better contributor if he got less minutes. But we’d be a better team if he had another guard who could shoot too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom